Chess records movie?

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Sorry if this was posted before. I was just listening to this howlin wolf interview. http://www.esnips.com/doc/53a0afbc-5982-4de7-9e59-ca2221830bd3/Wolf-in-the-Chess-StudioAnd started thinking about how interesting it would be to read about Chess records. Then I stumbled upon this. "Matt Dillon playing Chess in music movie"http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSN1527557320071015 Specifically he will be playing Leonard Chess one of the brothers responsible for Chicago's Chess records. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1042877/It's directed by Ms. Darnell Martin from the Bronx. It looks like theyre shooting for a 2008 release date. Jeffrey Wright will also play a role in it. I'm guessing Billy davis?Personally, I'm hype about it.Anyone seen I Like It Like That?Very low-key cast in that one. Who do you think can play Muddy?- spideyAnybody involved with the project want to hire a young soul guitarist with a brilliant afro to play young Pete Cosey. PM ME!!- Diego

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm glad that Matt Dillon actually gives a shit about music in an historical context. I'm always couched but secretly hopeful when it comes to biopics of my favorite artists or scenes/eras.

My concern is that it's called "Cadillac Records." Sounds like a loose adaptation without the blessing or the music of the label it's based off of. Sounds like trouble.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    *correction Jeffery Wright will be tackling Muddy Waters.

NO SHIT?

- spidey

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    My concern is that it's called "Cadillac Records." Sounds like a loose adaptation without the blessing or the music of the label it's based off of. Sounds like trouble.

Yeah this worries me as well. I know I'm in the minority of the average public, but I'll take a well done documentary over a dramatization any day.

Still, if anyone can pull this off RIGHT, I've gotta think that Matt Dillon is the man to do it.

Dudes.. I'm so gonna try to contact the casting director on this one.

Might be worth a shot??

- spidey

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Dudes.. I'm so gonna try to contact the casting director on this one.

Might be worth a shot??

- spidey

Why not? But the character name might be Pote Cosley (you know, famous for his later work with the great trumpeter Syles Dravis). Just so you know.

Awww.. I just read some Devastating news..

"Cadillac Records" will be directed for Sony BMG Film by Darnell Martin ("Their Eyes Were Watching God"), who also wrote the script. Casting is underway, and Sony BMG anticipates landing some of its artists in the film's lead roles[/b] . Production will begin this year in Chicago.

UGH...

I'm worried about that aspect.

- spidey

• Sony BMG anticipates landing some of its artists in the film's lead roles[/b] .

I think I hear the kiss of death

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sony BMG anticipates landing some of its artists in the film's lead roles[/b] .
    I think I hear the kiss of death

Smack

Smack

Smack.

• when a company is more interested in selling the soundtrack than getting appropriate actors for the actual roles in the movie than there is something to be worried about.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I love how you dudes have already gone from being
    excited about to hating on a movie that hasn't even
    been made yet, over the course of a few hours.

I love how you dudes have already gone from being
    excited about to hating on a movie that hasn't even
    been made yet, over the course of a few hours.

Tis the way of the internet, Dear friend. I dunno.. I'm still gonna try to submit a Resume for the ROLE. Cosey was like 22 and a pivotal session player for Chess Records. I'd love to be able just to go to Chicago and Meet the man himself.

- spidey

• Matt told me about this...he dropped out of it, for a number of reasons, they werent doing enough historical wise and fact wise on the history (he told me I knew more about Chess than the filmakers) and since they wanted him to play Leonard, he said he would have to have the whole nine yards as far as make-up to make him look like Leonard, and they werent willing to do that. he said they were pissed at him for dropping out. But, who knows, maybe they will meet his demands and he will get back into it. But as of 2 weeks ago he said he was out.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    sounds like they are or were gonna do a hatchet job
    with marshall chess still alive as a consultant they could really do something accurate and classic

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Matt told me about this...he dropped out of it, for a number of reasons, they werent doing enough historical wise and fact wise on the history (he told me I knew more about Chess than the filmakers) and since they wanted him to play Leonard, he said he would have to have the whole nine yards as far as make-up to make him look like Leonard, and they werent willing to do that. he said they were pissed at him for dropping out. But, who knows, maybe they will meet his demands and he will get back into it. But as of 2 weeks ago he said he was out.

Full respect for him to not bend over and take their half assed movie idea. If they can get their shit together and get the right people involved this could be good , but it might end up being another Dreamgirls.. I really hate Dreamgirls.

• sounds like they are or were gonna do a hatchet job
    with marshall and phil[/b] chess still alive as a consultant they could really do something accurate and classic

• How fuckin' retarded are people in Hollywood? What's with their fear of actually telling a good story, as opposed to creating some shit that offers merchandise tie ins and soundtracks? How could someone be so mentally defective that they have to alter a hugely interesting and deep REAL LIFE story into something that vaguely resembles the gist of something? I mean fuck, you've got Matt Dillon on board, willing to go the extra mile to give the film credibility and show some respect to the people involved, and they'd rather fuck it up.

Sorry to come off but the way Hollywood undermines peoples intelligence never fails to boggle my mind.

• After Dillon's shitty ass attempt at being Henry Chianski, I don't think really think he only can save a Hollywood massacre

Chess records??

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Will there be a role for COMMON in the project?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I can't see this being anything more than talk while there is a writers strike going on.

I'm hoping to get a chance to play a young Phil Upchurch

• After Dillon's shitty ass attempt at being Henry Chianski, I don't think really think he only can save a Hollywood massacre

Chess records??

That's a tough one though, who's gonna live up to a role like that? What did you think of Mickey Rourke in Barfly? What about Tales of Ordinary Madness?

I'm hoping to get a chance to play a young Phil Upchurch

Hilarious!

- spidey