The Blue Planet (BBC DVD-related)

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I got this DVD set last week as a late birthday present and am loving it. I've only watched a couple parts thus far, but I'm pretty much like the whole time. Some of the footage they get is incredible. (Also, it's great visual fodder for stoners.)Anybody else checked this stuff out?

Comments

• Anybody else checked this stuff out?

wait till you get to THE DEEP. I've watched that episode at least 10 times.

i love alaistair fothergill/ david atenbourough nature series. you should Planet Earth on dvd (the original BBC version, not Sigourney Weaver's narrated one) and Life in the Undergrowth is amazing too. bugs are cool. cordyceps are something out of science fiction.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    ummm yeah. i've turned so many people onto those DVDs.

when you get done with those check for Planet Earth.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

and Life in the Undergrowth is amazing too. bugs are cool.

the bat eating centipede is

• the chimpanzees in Planet Earth are so menacing.

• hahahahahaha! "yo let me holler at that SPLEEN son"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Anybody else checked this stuff out?

I'm actually saving that one to watch last because I know it's going to be the illest one. I watched the bonus DVD first--the segment about investigating the deep waters of the Amazon was pretty cool, and the one about sharks gathering at that volcanic island was great as well. I watched the Open Ocean stuff (or at least part of it--it seems like there's more to it on one of the other DVDs)--all that footage of the small fish forming massive bait balls is astounding.

i love alaistair fothergill/ david atenbourough nature series. you should Planet Earth on dvd (the original BBC version, not Sigourney Weaver's narrated one) and Life in the Undergrowth is amazing too.

I definitely want to check both of these out when I'm done with Blue Planet. This stuff is fascinating.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

(Also, it's great visual fodder for stoners.)

Seriously, there are few better ways of wasting a Sunday in my house than plotting up on the sofa with a bag of grass and watching a "Blue Planet" marathon on one of the documentary channels (see also; anything fronted by David Attenborough, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) living Englishmen). Muting the volume and throwing on some Klaus Schulze/Manuel Gottsching or similar tranced-out, meandering kosmische/krautrock can be fun as well.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Anybody else checked this stuff out?

I'm actually saving that one to watch last because I know it's going to be the illest one. I watched the bonus DVD first--the segment about investigating the deep waters of the Amazon was pretty cool, and the one about sharks gathering at that volcanic island was great as well. I watched the Open Ocean stuff (or at least part of it--it seems like there's more to it on one of the other DVDs)--all that footage of the small fish forming massive bait balls is astounding.

i love alaistair fothergill/ david atenbourough nature series. you should Planet Earth on dvd (the original BBC version, not Sigourney Weaver's narrated one) and Life in the Undergrowth is amazing too.

I definitely want to check both of these out when I'm done with Blue Planet. This stuff is fascinating.

Yeah the Deep episode is truly mind boggling. I'm still not convinced that it wasn't all CGI. While lacking the dulcet tones of Attenborough I would also recommend the BBC series Weird Nature which has many more face melting moments. It's less gorgeous to look at than the Attenborough narrated programs but still maintains the bbc's stunning natural photography.