King Nando records?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm picking up my research on the Latin boogaloo again and realize that one of the people who Max Salazar quoted heavily in his own work, back in the 1970s and '80s, was King Nando but I don't actually know his catalog well at all besides the two LPs on Swinger that always go for a pretty penny.Anyone shed some more light on what albums by him are worth peeping? Thanks.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I wish I could help, I have one with him on a beach with people dancing, is that one of the covers of the ones on Swinger? I don't know where it is right now

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    SLP-153 King Nando: Shing-A-Ling with King Nando
    SLP-154 King Nando: El Solinario/The Loner
    SLP-157 King Nando: Unpredictable Sounds

I think they are all worth peeping/owning. I like Shing-A-Ling and Unpredictable Sounds a little more than El Solitario but they all have a bunch of solid tracks.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    SLP-153 King Nando: Shing-A-Ling with King Nando
    SLP-154 King Nando: El Solinario/The Loner

I think that's the extent of his catalog--Shing-a-Ling... was re-released on Alegre. I like Unpredictable Sounds the best--features vocals from a young Ralfi Pagan, including on the great ballad "Where is My Future?"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This one has been eluding me for years, and seems to
    be one of those eBay records that goes up in price every
    time it's offered. Someone on here (can't remember who)
    found sealed stock of this LP recently and was selling
    on eBay - if they have any more, you might be able to
    hook one up - but for mucho dinero.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I have to give credit to Reynaldo on this one. Here's a re-up from record day for El Solitario.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rx9mrg

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Danke gentlemen,

I didn't realize his catalog was that compact. From the way that Salazar quotes him, you'd think he was a bigger player but it also might be that Nando's time as a band leader was shorter than his overall musical career.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Danke gentlemen,

I didn't realize his catalog was that compact. From the way that Salazar quotes him, you'd think he was a bigger player but it also might be that Nando's time as a band leader was shorter than his overall musical career.

He may have been more important as a live performer than as a recording artist...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He's apparently this guy's uncle; maybe he would know more about King Nando's non-Swinger musical career. ( [email]richard@richardmalavet.com[/email] )