Jimmy Bowman - Swings At The Golden Fox sealed 45?

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I bought a sealed 45 today that I can't find info on. The artist is Jimmy Bowman (I think the pianist that used to record out of Chicago in the 40s-50s). It is in a picture sleeve that looks just like a mini LP but is just a 2 song 7", one of the tracks is a cover of Spinning Wheel. Does anyone know this record? And has anyone seen another 7" pic sleeve 45 come in shrink wrap?? It's out of minneapolis on a private label called Bow-Pete & is also a one of those United "vanity" recordings by the looks. I'm gonna break the seal & give it a spin tomorrow probably. Pretty funny cover, guy dressed up like a golfer posing with a stuffed fox on the bonnet of the car. Hope it's funky............

Comments

• those are pretty common around here, i believe he had a few more releases as well including an lp with the same cover, i don't recall any of his shit being funky

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i found sealed copies of a sylvers pic sleeve 45. if i remember right it had one track off their first lp and another from their 2nd.

peace,xavier

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    not funky at all.
    what is the other song though on the 45 pic sleeve? if "Calypso Woman" i would be interested.

also any of you Minnesota heads- i will buy copies of the LP "Live at the Golden Fox" on Bow-Pete or whatever it was called. I'm sure this is laying around town and filed under dollar bin private lounge. Let me know!

Thanks!

• i found sealed copies of a sylvers pic sleeve 45. if i remember right it had one track off their first lp and another from their 2nd.

(wondering what this has to do with the price of rice)

• i found sealed copies of a sylvers pic sleeve 45. if i remember right it had one track off their first lp and another from their 2nd.

(wondering what this has to do with the price of rice)

Does anyone know this record? And has anyone seen another 7" pic sleeve 45 come in shrink wrap??

• i see those every once in awhile but always pass on them, i'll keep an eye out for them now, how much you offering?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cool, thanks for the info. I think the other song is a snoozy jazz standard. I'll give it a spin after work.

The version of 'Spinning Wheel' isn't all bad & the other side isn't a bad version of 'On A Clear Day You Can See Forever' either. Keeper.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    version of 'Spinning Wheel'

Keeper.

this is pretty much a rule no matter what for my collection. i have waaaaaaaaaaay too many versions of this song and i never ever ever ever ever tire of hearing new ones.

Keeper.

this is pretty much a rule no matter what for my collection. i have waaaaaaaaaaay too many versions of this song and i never ever ever ever ever tire of hearing new ones.
    Hahaha, I pretty much just said exactly this in the waxidermy review I just did, go check the mp3 if you want another version

Keeper.

Hahaha, I pretty much just said exactly this in the waxidermy review I just did, go check the mp3 if you want another version

haha awesome, i'll go check it out.

Keeper.

haha awesome, i'll go check it out.

the organ sounds great! no reason NOT to keep this.