Voices of East Harlem

GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I just got their self titled lp on just sunshine. Damn that shit is great!!! at least to me. So many great tracks. The b-side is incredible all the way through. The a-side has some fantastic stuff as well. What does a mint copy go for?and are how are their other lps? this one was produced by leroy hutson I think the other lp on just sunshine was as well.Thier album discography looked like this.Right On Be Free (Elektra 1970)Brothers And Sisters (Elektra 1972)Voices Of East Harlem (Just 1973)Can You FeeI It? (Just 1974)

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I just got their self titled lp on just sunshine. Damn that shit is great!!! at least to me. So many great tracks. The b-side is incredible all the way through. The a-side has some fantastic stuff as well. What does a mint copy go for?

and are how are their other lps? this one was produced by leroy hutson I think the other lp on just sunshine was as well.

Thier album discography looked like this.

Right On Be Free (Elektra 1970)
    Brothers And Sisters (Elektra 1972)
    Voices Of East Harlem (Just 1973)
    Can You FeeI It? (Just 1974)

Maybe $40 for a mint copy... all three of their LPs are very good. I believe the one that I struck through is just a comp.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I just got their self titled lp on just sunshine. Damn that shit is great!!! at least to me. So many great tracks. The b-side is incredible all the way through. The a-side has some fantastic stuff as well. What does a mint copy go for?

and are how are their other lps? this one was produced by leroy hutson I think the other lp on just sunshine was as well.

Thier album discography looked like this.

Right On Be Free (Elektra 1970)
    Brothers And Sisters (Elektra 1972)
    Voices Of East Harlem (Just 1973)
    Can You FeeI It? (Just 1974)

I was about to have a record geek heart palpatation..."You mean my VOEH collection is INCOMPLETE?!??"

thanks, Faux!

By the way, all their records are great! Plus find an OST of "Soul to Soul" for their great non-LP live track "Run Shaker Life"-KILLER!!
    Maybe $40 for a mint copy... all three of their LPs are very good. I believe the one that I struck through is just a comp.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Okay, but a compilation of what? They only made one lp before this "compilation" came out?

I got the info from soulwalking.co.uk

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Okay, but a compilation of what? They only made one lp before this "compilation" came out?

Don't know--maybe just a repackaging of the first LP. Frankly, I'm not convinced that LP even exists, since I don't know of anybody that's ever seen it and soulwalking.co.uk is the only discography where I've ever seen it listed (somebody posted that link previously). No Elektra release should be that elusive.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i like right on, be free--- but i have to be in the right mood for it. weirdly that mood comes by less often than the need to hear "spirtual jazz"

last time i listened to it i was playing nintendo. it worked

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Don't know--maybe just a repackaging of the first LP. Frankly, I'm not convinced that LP even exists, since I don't know of anybody that's ever seen it and soulwalking.co.uk is the only discography where I've ever seen it listed (somebody posted that link previously). No Elektra release should be that elusive.

There are a couple of Elektra comps with the Voices on them...one is a boxed set from the 80's called ELEKTROCK, and other is from the early 70's. It's titled GARDEN OF DELIGHTS and may very well be the only place you can get the Voices of East Harlem, Judy Collins, Swamp Dogg and Iggy & the Stooges in one collection. Never heard of no BROTHERS & SISTERS, though.

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts
    I think 'Brothers & Sisters'
    was only released in Europe. I don't think it's a compilation as there are only three songs from the 'Right on be free' (marked with * below), all other sound like their first one, but are not on any other lp.

tracklisting: - Brothers & Sisters (1972) Elektra

Side 1:
    1. No, No, No *
    2. Sit yourself down
    3. Oxford Town
    4. Hey Brother
    5. Right on be free *
    Side 2:
    1. Angry
    2. Freedom
    3. Proud Mary *
    4. Nation-Time
    5. Kind Woman
    6. I want to be free

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Bump. Pity they didn't release any live concert LPs. This is atomic.

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    According to Discogs, it has songs from the debut and some 45s.

http://www.discogs.com/Voices-Of-East-Harlem-Brothers-Sisters/release/2688572