Bettye LaVette interview

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Over at The Onion AV Club. It's a good one. Has anybody heard her new shit?
I think that a great deal of the resurgence of rhythm and blues???I think the word "soul" is a white euphemism; I never heard anyone black call themselves a soul singer unless they were trying to explain themselves to somebody from Japan[/b]???comes from the fact that rap artists now try to incorporate a lot of melody. They've gone back and chosen so many things to sample, and it makes young people more and more curious. And they more they look into it, the more they like it. It's a much more solid thing; it's not all wishy-washy. It holds steady. And as they get older, they're going to want that more from music.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Interesting interview, I wish it was longer.

Cue O-Dub making an "etymology of soul" thread. It'd actually be really interesting.

• Over at The Onion AV Club. It's a good one. Has anybody heard her new shit?

I think that a great deal of the resurgence of rhythm and blues???I think the word "soul" is a white euphemism; I never heard anyone black call themselves a soul singer unless they were trying to explain themselves to somebody from Japan[/b]???comes from the fact that rap artists now try to incorporate a lot of melody. They've gone back and chosen so many things to sample, and it makes young people more and more curious. And they more they look into it, the more they like it. It's a much more solid thing; it's not all wishy-washy. It holds steady. And as they get older, they're going to want that more from music.

I have the latest CD with the Drive By Truckers. While Betty's singing is heat all the way through, the album as a whole is a little blah... (with a few marked exceptions).

• I saw her at the Independent on Monday. Killer show!

I made a post about it and I believe it sank to the bottom...I think there was a thread about white girls with big portables up then, now really how can ya compete with that on here.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I saw her at the Independent on Monday. Killer show!

And she's 61! She looks 20 years younger than that in that picture over at The Onion.

For the most part, I don't really trip off of vocalists (I usually want them to shut up so I can listen to the band), but her voice is phenomenal. Love it.

• Has anybody heard her new shit?

Yes, and I like it.

Definitely a lot better than the last couple of Mavis Staples albums...