Anyone here good with Circuits? MPC help needed

MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Hi, My mpc blew up again. I've fixed this thing numerous times, but this time I'm SOL on the parts. I called VST in Cali and they can't source this board for me, and have none in broken machines. I can replace the switch, or hardwire it. Honestly, I don't care about the switch, I can live with it hardwired. I was wondering if anyone here understand circuits? I have no clue. I built one of those circuit bender projects, but it was all trial and error. Here's a pic of what I need. I'm pretty sure I understand enough that I need to pass the power through the resisters or whatever they are called to regulate the power (sorry if my terms are off here). What I don't know is where to place the wires....# 1, 2, 3, 4 are the on/off switch connections to the motherboard. It's a 4 pronged on/off control. I'm sure I can source one at Radio Shack, but the motherboard is a little burnt from the short circuiting over the years. I'd rather avoid the potential poor connection. # 5, 6 is the connection to transfer the power to the mpc motherboard# 7,8 is the connection from the wall/plug If I want to avoid the on/off switch and just push the power from the wall into the MPC, what must I hotwire? Anyone have a clue? lol

Comments

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    *This is at your own risk*

1. Can you post a pic of the other side?

2. DO NOT wire 7 and 8 together. That will essentially take whatever voltage coming in and put it straight to ground, thus giving the MPC no voltage.

3. I'm assuming that where 7 and 8 are, there is a step down transformer (takes 120 volts down to 5) and then some diodes (rectify the AC signal to make it DC) and some capacitors (filter out any noise) and then from there goes to the switch, one side for voltage (+3 or +5 ...I'm assuming) and one side for ground. Then from there it attaches to the MPC motherboard. SO...to make a long story short...I'm thinking you need to connect 1 & 2 together as well as 3 & 4.

Again, if you could post a pic of the other side and if you could test some voltages with a voltmeter...it would help.

And again...you're doing this at your own risk. Maybe some other strutters can verify or take it to an electronics shop.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    First, thanks for the quick response. I also wouldn't hold anyone accountable for this. I know I can break this thing pretty easily, but I've never really been afraid to take things apart, even knowing I most likely won't be able to put them back together. Hands on learning I guess...lol. Anyhow, what you said is what I was thinking, or maybe 1 + 3, 2 + 4..... Maybe I should find an electrician.... Here is a pic of the top;

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Maybe give Serious a ring. He might be able to help you out.

• With a continuity tester or volt-ohm meter you could figure out a lot more about what's wrong.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Yeah...didn't know which way the button was going and that's why I was asking for the top picture. I would say connect 1&3 and then 2&4. That should complete the loop when the pushbutton is closed.