Soul Jazz/Licensing Question....

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
A while back (more than a year ago) I did a post on the blog about Ernie K. Doe's 'Here Come the Girls'. I took down the link after a while, but restored it after I got a few requests (maybe four months ago).Recently, a chain of drugstores in the UK started to use the tune in a TV ad and I started to get hits out the wazoo (like 300-500 extra a day) because of it.Yesterday I get a message from someone at Soul Jazz in the UK asking that I take down the link because they've licensed the tune and they're selling downloads from their site.Anyone have any insight into this, i.e. who did they license from???I took the link down, but I was curious as to the legitimacy of their claim.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A while back (more than a year ago) I did a post on the blog about Ernie K. Doe's 'Here Come the Girls'. I took down the link after a while, but restored it after I got a few requests (maybe four months ago).
    Recently, a chain of drugstores in the UK started to use the tune in a TV ad and I started to get hits out the wazoo (like 300-500 extra a day) because of it.
    Yesterday I get a message from someone at Soul Jazz in the UK asking that I take down the link because they've licensed the tune and they're selling downloads from their site.
    Anyone have any insight into this, i.e. who did they license from???
    I took the link down, but I was curious as to the legitimacy of their claim.

I've seen that ad. Didn't know it was Ernie K. Doe, though.

Turns out that Soul Jazz put it on their New Orleans Funk comp from a few years back, so their request is likely to have legitimate grounds. No idea who they licensed it from, but as I understand it they tend to go to the source. They've been in that game for a while and, apart from a few issues concerning the Black Jazz catalogue (which turned out to be groundless, IIRC), they've got a good rep.

• A while back (more than a year ago) I did a post on the blog about Ernie K. Doe's 'Here Come the Girls'. I took down the link after a while, but restored it after I got a few requests (maybe four months ago).
    Recently, a chain of drugstores in the UK started to use the tune in a TV ad and I started to get hits out the wazoo (like 300-500 extra a day) because of it.
    Yesterday I get a message from someone at Soul Jazz in the UK asking that I take down the link because they've licensed the tune and they're selling downloads from their site.

Turns out that Soul Jazz put it on their New Orleans Funk comp from a few years back, so their request is likely to have legitimate grounds. No idea who they licensed it from, but as I understand it they tend to go to the source. They've been in that game for a while and, apart from a few issues concerning the Black Jazz catalogue (which turned out to be groundless, IIRC), they've got a good rep.

I knew about the comp (I referenced it in the original blog post), but made the assumption (partly incorrect) that it had gone out of print.

• I knew about the comp (I referenced it in the original blog post), but made the assumption (partly incorrect) that it had gone out of print.

It was rereleased this month after vinyl copies started to go for silly $$ this year

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    A while back (more than a year ago) I did a post on the blog about Ernie K. Doe's 'Here Come the Girls'. I took down the link after a while, but restored it after I got a few requests (maybe four months ago).

I knew about the comp (I referenced it in the original blog post), but made the assumption (partly incorrect) that it had gone out of print.

Sorry, I should check your blog more often! I think pretty much all those SJ comps are still in print. Either way, I'd imagine they'd have licensed it for a minimum ten years, and may even have renegotiated/extended the range of the deal to cover downloads, which wouldn't have been any sort of issue at the time of the original license.

• subsub 311 Posts
    why don't you ask soul jazz? if you're so accommodating to take down the link you should be granted that info...