the Jerry Ragovoy/Norman Meade appreciation thread

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Irma Thomas's "Time Is On My Side."Garnet Mimms's "Cry Baby."Howard Tate's "Ain't Nobody Home."Lorraine Ellison's "Stay With Me."Erma Franklin's "Piece Of My Heart" (co-written with Bert Berns)...all unthinkable with the writing, production and/or arrangement of Mr. Ragovoy, who proved that at least some of the suited, East-coast whiteys knew their way around grand, anthemic soul music.And those were just the major hits.By all accounts, a good human being, as well. Ragovoy was also responsible for the second coming of Tate a few years back, which registers as a true labor of love.with Tate:By no means an unknown figure in soul music history, but certainly a man I don't hear mentioned much anymore. Give it up, folks.

Comments

• Oh hell yes! Esp for his work with Tate. "Get It While You Can' is in my top 5 of all time.

• Since you didn't link to your most excellent Howard Tate blog entry, I had to...
    Speaking real words.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I must say that I'm a little surprised at the lack of response to this thread. Is it simply superfluous to laud a well-regarded producer? I hope that's it.