Who here owns an ASR-10?

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I've always been curious why some people love 'em so much. They tend to get left out of the typical MPC vs. SP-1200 discussion, but I've heard plenty of great records made using them. Is it the resampling? The keys? Knowledge me.

Comments

• I love the ASR 10. I own the rackmount, standard scsi and 8 outs. Great sound and layout.

• i have an EPS 16+ which was the older brother of the ASR 10. they are pretty much the same except the ASR has a few more options. i still us the thing. i haven't made too many beats on anything else, so i have nothing to compare it to except the MPC. i like the keyboard option. i don't know about the ASR but the EPS has a few little glitches that piss me off.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Spelunk,

I live by my ASR-10. I love the snappiness of the 16-bit sampling, incredible on-board effects, the versatility provided by sequencing using a keyboard, the filtering capabilities, and the relatively easy sequencing, despite some people's negative views about ASR-10 sequencing user-friendliness. I have expanded memory on mine to get that extra, do-do sampling time. The only downside is the 8-track sequencing (an extra 8 are available in song-mode) relative to newer samplers like the MPC. With a little craftiness, there are ways around that anyway (i.e., stacking multiple samples on the same track; midi synching to the recorder to lay down additional tracks with other sampled instruments beyond the 8 already recorded; etc.). If you can get your hands on one, I strongly recommend that you purchase it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah the filters and effects seem really dope, having filters is the thing that I'm missing most on the MPC 60. I'm not really on the market for one, more just curious about why people use them. I'd cop if I found a crazy deal though.

JP, if you've got the rackmount what are you using to trigger the sounds?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    One more thing, is the ASR-X any good? It was made fairly recently so I automatically don't quite trust it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I had an ASR-10 but I got rid of it because I got sick of loading up 10 floppies for one beat.

Can't front though, I miss the ASR but it was time to upgrade to software.
    In my opinion, if you got an MPC 60, then you should definitely get the rackmount version. You can trigger all of your samples via MIDI from the MP. As a bonus, the rackmount have a SCSI port installed in it already, so you don't have to deal with floppy disks.

One day, if I'm lucky, I'll get another one.

• One more thing, is the ASR-X any good? It was made fairly recently so I automatically don't quite trust it.

i think Large Pro uses that machine, i played with it in a store and it was fun, had some built in sounds (drums, bass, synth keys) to play with...the construction felt a little cheap but it seemed like it would be just a fun box to have around.

• Can someone explain how to assign effects to individual track/sequence on the ASR?

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    I had an ASR-10 but I got rid of it because I got sick of loading up 10 floppies for one beat.[/img]

agreed. although, even though i had scsi...it was still slower than any other piece of gear i owned. the sound coloration was great, but im glad i got it away from me. that piece had a lot of history to me, but it was like a cheating wife. good ridance.

• I use it for sampling and sequencing and I trigger it with a midi keyboard.