History of Black culture (photos related)

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Hey strut,I am in charge of the FestaBlack (name makes me cringe but hey) here for the Festival de Arte Negra here in Belo...we have an african painter vs graph artist.a cypher(please to pass said lyrical blunt)..breakdance crew and a DJ set by yself and great brazilian DJ A Coisa (yes 4 elements son...)however instead of just throwing a big party i wanted o highlight the evolution of black music in US history from blues(skip james and em) to rock-n-roll, the peak of jazz, the soulf/funk era until 80s hiphopI was allowed a video montage space to do this (no VDJ) and i beeive their must be a wealth of ressources available to this availi am looking for images in particular..anyone know of any sites tha are geared in this direction..or just generallygood ites for jaz,blues photos etcthanks in advance strutalso any dvd recomendations in the vein of the recent PBS stax doc (about the istroy of social movements and music)the civil rights movement images would also be appreciated

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Try The Schomberg Research Center in Harlem. Try their website. Ive never been.

Studio Museum in Harlem might have some archival shit.

Specific artists might have websites of their work up on their sites.

U know theres a gang of overused Hip Hop images to choose from.

Try that Stax Museum - see what they have.

Even the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland

See if the Apollo has some stuff.

Good Luck.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Stanford has the Martin Luther King Library with a lot of online resources, if you're looking for photos from that era.