indian/pakistani food in the peninsula (bay)?

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Do any bay strutters know of any indian/pakistani spots in the peninsula area? I'm in South San Francisco now and we miss Naan N Curry. While it's not the best spot ever, it's cheap and decent. Anybody know of any spots like Nann N Curry or Roti (on Haight) out this way?I just want something that's good, fair prices, and isn't an overpriced sit down spot. Yelp was too confusing. Didn't get at what i wanted.

Comments

• There's a BOMB place I go to with the homies, called "Bombay Garden" in san mateo. they have a buffett everyday and it's unfadeable.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    i've lived up here for a while, but i'm confused as to what the "peninsula" area is. it's my understanding that it's all the shit south of SF. if that's what it is yall fools are wrong. look up the term and then get back to me.

holleurbackmakiroll, sonnnnnnn.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I got that peninsula shit down, but what I don't get is where the South Bay officially starts. Palo Alto? What about on the East Bay side?

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I got that peninsula shit down

please to explain.

I got that peninsula shit down

please to explain.

I mean I've always thought of it as everything that isn't San Francisco, but is on the Peninsula - Daly City, Milbrae, South SF, San Bruno, Burlingame, San Mateo. It's once you start getting down past Redwood City that I don't know where to draw the line.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    anything south of santa clara is the south bay (sb ends about gilroy).

from brisbane/dc to sc is the peninsula.

east bay is like fremont to the carquinez. i guess you can group in vallejo but thats kinda north bay-ish. fairfield, suisun, etc would be the extended east bay. the outer east bay would be anything east of the 80 like walnut creek and concord.

with respects to music i like to group in the sac and fresno areas with the bay. anything south of fresno is la territory (or so mike vage and i have determined).

• Do any bay strutters know of any indian/pakistani spots in the peninsula area? I'm in South San Francisco now and we miss Naan N Curry.

just buy some...take it home...and reheat that shit!

• shalimar is freaking delicious and very reasonable.

but they're in sf, fremont and sunnyvale. haha, so not helpful for you at all, tommy.

i like suraj in redwood city too, but i've only had the lunch buffet.

happy diwali everyone!

• This thread is making me hongray. i haven't had indian food in ages and i used to hit up Indian Oven a lot when i lived in the Lower Haight.

• I'm surprised ya'll ain't up on Great India.

that's my spot in the city...Geary and 25th...I think they have some of the best tasting Indian food in the city...a lot of my folks tell me it's closer to the real deal...plus, they're buffet (which used to be kinda weaksauce when I first moved here in 97 has now become really really dope)

and Shalimar is Frickin' disgusting! I used to fuck with that place when I lived down the street from it...but, seriously, I have mad stories on that place...and if you're a picky little vegan bitch like me...I ain't havin that...although, they're black eyed beans are off the chain! (they aren't on the menu, you have to ask if they have em or not....)

• I was enjoying the new little delhi downtown, but it seemed like they got a new cook or something because they went from good to ehhhh almost overnight.

Yeah, I don't know if I am in the Peninsula. I still say South San Francisco, but it seems like the real headz all call it South City.

Interesting trivia...when filling out change of address forms and magazine subscriptions, etc. most places won't give you enough space to write South San Francisco.

I think my girlfriend is going to get some while she's at work and take it home. I'll check out some of the suggestions soon though.

Does anyone else ride for Naan N Curry? I'm talking about the Sunset location. It's not the best ever, but fairly consistant. I enjoy the free tea. The owners recognized us and used to give us discounts in the form of flat totals. It was always $14 instead of $16.57.

Yeah, I don't know if I am in the Peninsula. I still say South San Francisco, but it seems like the real headz all call it South City.

yes you live in the peninsula

only out of towners call it SSF... stick to south city

Does anyone else ride for Naan N Curry?

No. Went there once, the chicken wasn't fully cooked. Went again and my stomach felt awful afterwards. There is better, similarly priced Indian food out there (Breads of India, Cafe Raj, Khanna Peena, etc. Don't know about the Peninsula area though).

• and Shalimar is Frickin' disgusting! I used to fuck with that place when I lived down the street from it...but, seriously, I have mad stories on that place...

really? i'm kind of weird like this but i check restaurant violations on the sf department of health site often and they scored a 91

http://www.dph.sf.ca.us/eh/Violations/Loc_CurrentViol.asp?LocationID=2114

then again, el farolito on mission scored a 95 on there.

• and Shalimar is Frickin' disgusting! I used to fuck with that place when I lived down the street from it...but, seriously, I have mad stories on that place...

really? i'm kind of weird like this but i check restaurant violations on the sf department of health site often and they scored a 91

like I said...I used to frequent that place...

peep that they store all their food in giant bins, out, the conditions are pretty grimey...not to mention they will go from touching raw chicken to your hot naan (to serve to you) in seconds...and I won't say how many cockroaches I've seen in there...

I'm assuming you are talking about the one on jones? the other is in better condition I think...

• like I said...I used to frequent that place...

peep that they store all their food in giant bins, out, the conditions are pretty grimey...not to mention they will go from touching raw chicken to your hot naan (to serve to you) in seconds...and I won't say how many cockroaches I've seen in there...

I'm assuming you are talking about the one on jones? the other is in better condition I think...

ugh, that's crazy! i really think some of these restaurants bribe the inspectors. i don't know how some of these places score so high

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    anything south of santa clara is the south bay (sb ends about gilroy).

from brisbane/dc to sc is the peninsula.

east bay is like fremont to the carquinez. i guess you can group in vallejo but thats kinda north bay-ish. fairfield, suisun, etc would be the extended east bay. the outer east bay would be anything east of the 80 like walnut creek and concord.

with respects to music i like to group in the sac and fresno areas with the bay. anything south of fresno is la territory (or so mike vage and i have determined).

thanks, jinx.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Naan N Curry is definitely one of those places that tastes better the less often you eat there. I gotta say, the Irving location is a bit creepy as well.

There's more Indian than you can shake a stick at once you get down to Silicon Valley. Most of it is fine, but there's a couple that really stand out:

Cheap:[/b] Saravana Bhavan in Sunnyvale. There's only 4 locations of this Indian chain in the US now, New York heads just got one last year. This is the stuff Dosa on Valencia wishes they could imitate. I miss the Mountain View location, they moved to a former Marie Callender's in Sunnyvale and it's not quite the same thing.

Expensive:[/b] Amber in Mountain View. There's one at Santana Row now as well, but you couldn't possibly pay me enough to go to Santana Row. The stuff is really rich, like a stick of butter. Great meat and vegetarian dishes, although it's not vegan friendly.

and Shalimar is Frickin' disgusting! I used to fuck with that place when I lived down the street from it...but, seriously, I have mad stories on that place...

like I said...I used to frequent that place...

CANT THEY JUST FIX THOSE Frickin' LIGHTS!!! its like were in the basement of a psychiatric facility in a scary movie.

• can any of you recommend good South Indian restaurants in SF? i am not knowing.

• Naan N Curry is definitely one of those places that tastes better the less often you eat there. I gotta say, the Irving location is a bit creepy as well.

There's more Indian than you can shake a stick at once you get down to Silicon Valley. Most of it is fine, but there's a couple that really stand out:

Cheap:[/b] Saravana Bhavan in Sunnyvale. There's only 4 locations of this Indian chain in the US now, New York heads just got one last year. This is the stuff Dosa on Valencia wishes they could imitate. I miss the Mountain View location, they moved to a former Marie Callender's in Sunnyvale and it's not quite the same thing.

Expensive:[/b] Amber in Mountain View. There's one at Santana Row now as well, but you couldn't possibly pay me enough to go to Santana Row. The stuff is really rich, like a stick of butter. Great meat and vegetarian dishes, although it's not vegan friendly.

PAK WAN > Nan N Curry

FYI: I love farting but Nan n Curry gave me some gas that was so digusting it OFFENDED ME.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    can any of you recommend good South Indian restaurants in SF? i am not knowing.

Actually, Dosa isn't really all that bad if you're in SF. My main gripe is that it's really really crowded, a little more expensive than South Indian should be and not quite as focused as the real deal. There's a Udupi Palace in Berkeley now. We used to go to the Sunnyvale location before my friend took me to Saravana. If you're put off by Naan N curry, I ate at Rotee on Haight once and found it to be just about the same deal, but a bit less seedy, plus you could bring in your own liquor and get soused for cheap. I've only personally been to about 4 Indian places in the city so I'm not really an expert. Dollar for dollar, the best South Indian I've had was from this guy who used to sell $4 meals out of the back seat of his Acura at Stanford. It was a total bootleg operation so they got chased from place to place by the cops, but if you found him you were in for a really good meal.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    can any of you recommend good South Indian restaurants in SF? i am not knowing.

I don't know that it qualifies as strictly South Indian (in fact, I know it doesn't because they feature stuff from all over the country), but I definitely fucks with Mehfil on 2nd and Folsom. I work a couple blocks from there and hit up that place up for lunch on the regular. I have yet to have a bad dish from there.

Also, as long as we're talking about getting recommendations, I have to post this clip from a recent blog posting I read:

Just got back from seeing Anthony Bourdain in in the city, and it was an absolute treat. He is every bit as much fun as you would imagine him to be. Lots of good and useful stuff in the talk, but two stick in my mind:

1. Truffle oil is the ketchup of the newly affluent.

2. To find good places to eat, provoke the nerds.

#2 showed a remarkably precise understanding of the internet. The question at hand was how to find good restaurants, and his answer was to take the city you want to go to and just google up some restaurant names that serve the dish you???re after. Then got to chowhound or another foodie site, and rather than asking about restaurants, you put up an enthusiastic post talking about how you just had the best whatever you???re looking for at one of these restaurants.

At that point, what drivingblind likes to call the nerdfury will begin. Posters will show up from nowhere to shower you with disdain, tell you how that place used to be good but has now totally sold out and ??? most important to your quest ??? will tell you where you would have gone if you were not some sort of mouth breathing water buffalo.

Hee. "Nerdfury." That's awesome.