Dish Warps on New Records

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Ugh. This is happening to me all the time when I buy new records from stores like Amoeba or Streetlight, where they let big stacks of records lean at 60 degrees on one another. Is anyone else having this problem? I'll take it back and hopefully get them to refund it, but it's just such a pain.I've noticed it happens especially with gatefolds with tightly wrapped shrink.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Problem for us overseas folks is when our turntable lab orders arrived and shit is dishwarped, whadayagondo? Not much because of the prohibitive postage costs involved.

• dude, I was spinning some discs at a bbq the other day and the records were literally getting a visible heat warp whilst playing (~ 3 minutes). There was sun hitting the tables but it wasn't that hot - we quickly blocked that out, and thankfully the two records to which it happened resumed normality once they cooled down, weird sh*t ..

• dude, I was spinning some discs at a bbq the other day and the records were literally getting a visible heat warp whilst playing (~ 3 minutes). There was sun hitting the tables but it wasn't that hot - we quickly blocked that out, and thankfully the two records to which it happened resumed normality once they cooled down, weird sh*t ..

Yeah, the first time this happened to me I freaked out..I could see them warp before my eyes! I had a big parasol brought over to cover the turns, and as soon as they were in the shade they flattened out as quickly as they warped...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I've heard of that same kinda thing happening to other people.

Yeah the heat is bad for rekkids, but direct sunlight is probably worse. Avoid at all costs.

It is funny though how records do resume their shape if you take them out of the sunlight quickly. That's Australia for ya!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A record clamp can do wonders for real slight dishes like this.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Problem for us overseas folks is when our turntable lab orders arrived and shit is dishwarped, whadayagondo? Not much because of the prohibitive postage costs involved.

I'll tell you what you're gonna do - not shit.

They have a policy now that no vinyl can be returned for warps. I know this because I received a package w/some seriously warped records from them recently - one which still played fine and I knew I wouldn't be able to get again, but another had mad skips and it was a vintage pressing that was clearly fucked up before it was even shipped to me. I mailed them figuring they had probably heard about it - they have tons of this record and I'll bet lots of them are unplayable, but they quickly told me they don't care, these things happen, etc. (Do not order the Jose Mangual 12" from them...)

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    A record clamp can do wonders for real slight dishes like this.

Yeah and they're real handy while DJing.

I'll go return it tomorrow, I just hope they have another copy.