In the UK Jazz Funk and Dance late 70's 2 mid 90's

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Coming from off the Freeez thread.I don't care if it's Soul Jazz, Acid Jazz or Jazz-Funk, etc. What are some of your fav tunes played in the UK during that period?I remember being blown away on my first trip to the UK in the 80's and hearing Sweet Power Your Embrace and how Londoners got down to it.When I was working in the UK around 1999-2000, I would still get awestruck talking with dudes like Jay Norman & Jan Kincaid.Anyone got a fav top 5 chunes list from that period?Is there any documentaries on any of this that are decent?

Comments

• Lonnie Liston Smith "Expansions"

• Labelle - Moonshadow. Played by Norman Jay on Monday nights at the Bass Clef.

• well I wasn't 'there' as such, but I gather Lalomie Washburn's 'Try my love' was a big hit in the UK

on a loosely related note, this thread has reminded me of seeing Snowboy DJ in Melbourne about 5 years ago, what a bloody brilliant night!

I got the artist wrong first time

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Acid Jazz often gets knocked but I miss this genre.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I'm kinda over the sound these days, but my girl is still well into it. She plays a lot of stuff on the acid jazz labl, like Groove Collective, Galliano and Snowboy and stuff like that. Some of it is pretty good.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Lonnie Liston Smith "Expansions"
    love this 4 ever

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Same here.

I mean. I still get on sum super higher level when shit like this comes on

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

I'm kinda over the sound these days, but my girl is still well into it. She plays a lot of stuff on the acid jazz labl, like Groove Collective, Galliano and Snowboy and stuff like that. Some of it is pretty good.

I agree, I just don't think its aged too well. Maybe if you were into it at the it would be different, but for a new listener, like me, its seriously hit and miss.

• Acid Jazz is different from 'UK Jazz Funk and Dance late 70's 2 mid 90's' but it was predominantly something which came from the UK ..

I interviewed Egon recently for a local magazine and if I recall right the term he used when refering to Acid jazz was 'insipid' - this was in the context of a discussion about the origins of 'new funk', which itself is a different beast from 'UK Jazz Funk and Dance late 70's 2 mid 90's' (and for the record, the Whitfield Brothers were pinned as one group leading the charge in the area of 'new funk')

My original thought was working off the the whole UK Jazz Funk and Dance bit. But then I just wanna include everything that tends to follow.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Hey DOR,

For what its worth, Gilles P. mentioned in this weeks show that Snowboy and another heavy hitter Jazz/Soul Dance cat from Japan are both writing books on this subject...keep your eyes out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/gillespeterson/