What Kind Of Hammond Is This???

LazerLazer 796 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I just bought this guy from the thrift store across the street from my job. $14.99 for this guy and Senor Soul - Psychaldelic Sounds of....LP seemed like a good deal to me, but I have no clue what model it is. It has an inspection date of 12/2/72 but I can't figure out what model it is. I've done extensive googling and have found no matching organ. Any help would be awesome.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    looks like your typical thrift store hammond. that leslie label insterests me though, does it have a built-in leslie speaker?

• should be a badge somewhere with the model #, I'm thinking on the back? possibly under the back cover...

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Yes it has a built in Leslie cabinet, a plug for an external Leslie cabinet and and 1/4" phono input on the back. The Leslie cabinet is LOUD.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    should be a badge somewhere with the model #, I'm thinking on the back? possibly under the back cover...

it appears that was stapled to the back and now gone

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Woah...hold on there...

I don't think you have a 'Leslie'. A Leslie cabinet is a whole different 'box' if you will with a rotating cone around the speaker. You probably have a hook-up for one, but I do not believe Leslie's were ever built into Hammonds. As a matter of fact, I believe Hammond dis-liked Leslies and preferred their own built in speakers.

Is this a tube amp? If it is...then I would think it's got the Tonewheel Generator mechanism for the sound which gives it the classic Hammond sound. I know around this time, mid-70's, they started going solid-state and phasing out the Tonewheel sound.

Can't really track down what you have though. With all the different color switches, it looks much like an Aurora, but the overall shape doesn't look like one. And...it looks like this one has no drawbars which I know Hammond made some in the later stages for entry level organists.

Good luck...

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Woah...hold on there...

I don't think you have a 'Leslie'. A Leslie cabinet is a whole different 'box' if you will with a rotating cone around the speaker. You probably have a hook-up for one, but I do not believe Leslie's were ever built into Hammonds. As a matter of fact, I believe Hammond dis-liked Leslies and preferred their own built in speakers.

Is this a tube amp? If it is...then I would think it's got the Tonewheel Generator mechanism for the sound which gives it the classic Hammond sound. I know around this time, mid-70's, they started going solid-state and phasing out the Tonewheel sound.

Can't really track down what you have though. With all the different color switches, it looks much like an Aurora, but the overall shape doesn't look like one. And...it looks like this one has no drawbars which I know Hammond made some in the later stages for entry level organists.

Good luck...

ah ha, looks like this does actually have a built in leslie and it's a 125 XL model.

thanks for the help all.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    According to this person...

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/msg/464247125.html

Hammond 125 XL

I believe the X-series went solid-state and no Tonewheel. But...you did get it for one hell of a price...

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Ha...beat me to it!

That's cool that it does have the Leslie in there. Didn't know they were doing that. Have fun with it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i got a hammond C3 or C2 or something (drawbars, tube amp) for $5, couldnt haul it away when i moved so i just left it outside. how bad did i fuck up? dont even tell me.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    boy, from the auctions/adds I've seen it looks like that thing would have sold for a bit more than $5.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    i got a hammond C3 or C2 or something (drawbars, tube amp) for $5, couldnt haul it away when i moved so i just left it outside. how bad did i fuck up? dont even tell me.

I have one too that I traded for a few guitar pedals.

I need to get it back from my friends house, but I still don't have enough room in my garage for it yet.

- spidey

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    ako:
    Yeah...it would have been a hell of a steal but it all depends on the condition. Those things are MASSIVELY heavy and would need a truck and some people to get it anywhere. If it didn't need much work...yeah...would have been pretty good. I have been hearing about good condition B-3's going for a couple G's...but I would refuse to pay that much.

Actually, I checked out a Hammond (I think an M model) a couple weeks ago with a fellow strutter, but the organ wasn't making any sound at all. It would power up and that's it. I was willing to spend the 50 bucks to pick it up, but this strutter is mad weak (KnewJak)... so we left it. It also would have required all electronics re-soldered and re-worked...which I could have done...but it wouldn't have been worth it. Besides...I got a Rhodes instead...

Lazer:
    Yeah...they probably can sell for more but the real Hammond peeps are looking for the non-transistor models.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

I was willing to spend the 50 bucks to pick it up, but this strutter is mad weak (KnewJak)... so we left it.

no. im just not mad stupid. stupid.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I knew you would be watching this thread. I'm playing!

Yeah...would have been a lot of work...another one will turn up.

• picked this one up at the thrift store a few years back, it's an m-103, works great but i still haven't learned to play it