The Chapparals

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Spent the morning snowboarding in Ohakune in NZ (It's Mount Doom from the Lord of the Rings!!!)Anyway found a small junkshop afterwards with one interesting LP. It's by The Chaparrals Soul Sound and is called Times to Remember on DB Records. It looks like a private press or a high school band. Anyone know anything about this???

Comments

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Just found a 45 by them for $250. Anyone know anything about the LP???

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

Man, Chicago is filled with PEOPLE.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Just found a 45 by them for $250. Anyone know anything about the LP???

Dude, you never said whether you liked the record or not...

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    They were from outside of Atlanta and played the club circuit until they opened for Sly & the Family Stone, The Ohio Players and The Hues Corporation in Macon. From that they wound up touring at various times with Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Larry Graham, The O'Jays. The album was released on their own Maximillion Records in 1978. I think one of them plays guitar with Cameo now (not an original member of Cameo tho') Quoting one of the band members, "everyone came to know that when The Chapparrals hit the stage to perform, these musicians took the stage with their act and on many occasions completely stole the show from the main act."

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    I've got a feeling that The Chaparrals I'm talking about may be different to the ones you guys know??

Anyway, found a copy that had been sold on Popsike, check the link:

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=2543152385

As to whether I like it or not, I've not had a chance to listen to it. I'll let you know.

• Finally nabbed a copy of the Chaparrals album last week at Tom's Music Trade in Red Lion, PA. The record was actually recorded in Red Lion, and it's the next town over from me, five minutes away. I searched the members names on Facebook, and was happy to get a reply from lead guitarist / vocalist Sonny Singer (a blessed name!). I invited him to my NYE record hop in my town, and he showed up! Nicest guy, and he was floored at all the deep 60's tracks my wife and I were spinning (soul, funk, garage, r&b, etc). He hung out for a few hours and had a blast. He even signed my LP and posed for a picture!

About the record: they were an all white high school band and did covers of top soul hits of the day (pretty strange considering this is Pennsyltucky) and they banged 'em out with pretty killer garage sound. The album opens with their lone original, simply called "Intro," and it's a wild organ stompin' instrumental with huge drums.

Anyhow, hope this is a good first post on the Strut!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Bazooka Joe: welcome to the strut, good first post.

The other guy who posted seems like a fucking muppet

• Different Chapparals from the Atlanta band, whose LP is around in quantity