Dates on Japanese releases - explain

YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Many (all?) Japanese release have a date on the back cover or the OBI strip. Often the date is surrounded by a box. I always assumed that this is the release date. Well, I still do, but there are two things that I don't get:1. Some releases have two dates2. Sometimes the second date is actually in the future.Example: I just got a copy of Shuya Okino "United Legends" Replayed By Sleep Walker and it shows "07.10.03" (in a box) as well as "2008.04.02".Is it true that the first date is the release date whereas the second date is the date after which a dealer can sell the CD below the price shown on the OBI strip?

Comments

• i think one of those dates refers to the calendar system of japan. every time there is a new emporer, they start the year back down to zero or something like that. but i could be totally wrong about the record dates. however, the japanese calendar system is the true.

• Is it true that the first date is the release date whereas the second date is the date after which a dealer can sell the CD below the price shown on the OBI strip?

Yeah, I believe that is it. Maybe rental can begin as well?