Pictures from my last digging trip

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
This is a shrine of Voodoo god Tolegba who is responsible to protect the village of my friend Landrie outside of Cotonou.Checking out a private record collection in Porto NovoRecord agents Landrie and Chakirou with the owner of another collection (left to right). This man was a big Fela Kuti fan and told us some great stories from back in the day...Fueling up the car at one of the typical black market gas stationsDigging through the dusty back room of a former record store in Parakou.Memorial outside a settlement of freed slaves west of Ouidah.When we visited the next day, somebody was home and the sign said "super present".This is some of the stuff that we unearthed on this trip.I've already finished a new Afrobeat mix and will do another disco cheese bomb next week... I'm not sure though how long it'll be until I get the mp3s uploaded because the connection down here has been super slow for the past few weeks and there are interruptions all the time.

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    wow this is amazing, the pictures are and the records are

cannot wait to hear the mixes!

• YOU FOUND THE ROB! Thats the empty record jacket I have hanging framed in the living room...please let me know if you find another!

Does the Antoine LP have the "machete" single on it?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Frank, the whole "Diggers Planet" is envying you right now.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Peace

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    once again, you have humbled us all.

Pure class.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    once again, you have humbled us all.

Pure class.

• The pics are fantastic and serve as a constant reminder to how extreme your digs are...gas from a jug in a black market gas station...shit. Most of us can ring up roadside assitance if we run out of gas when we are out on "our big diggin trips" across Ohio or some shit. What you are doing is no different than a hardcore archelogical dig it seems. I have immense respect and envy.

• You're like the Indiana Jones of digging. These posts amaze me.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    YOU FOUND THE ROB! Thats the empty record jacket I have hanging framed in the living room...please let me know if you find another!

Does the Antoine LP have the "machete" single on it?

You contacted me before about this, right?
    I have a sleeveless (and hammered...) spare of the Rob LP in storage in Berlin.
    It'll be at while until I have access to it again though.

No, the Antoine Dougbe LP is more straight Pachanga. I think that the single you're talking about was a 45 only release.
    I did however find sleeves for a second press it that has another photo of him, standing in front of a newer car with a bigger machete in his hand...

• These posts amaze me.
    yep...

if at all possible, please put together a comp one day Frank!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    WOW! Amazing pictures, stories and records as always Frank. You got that Joni Haastrup... lucky! I seriously regret passing on that a few years ago for what is now a ridiculously reasonable price. Doh!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

• These posts amaze me.
    yep...

if at all possible, please put together a comp one day Frank!

wow......great pics and stories! if you are not the man, who the f&ck is?

• That's a simply amazing experience.

Thank you for sharing.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    what an amazing sight that all is....

great pics of what is truly the deepest digging in the history of records.

Congrats and thanks so much for sharing.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• Wow! I wanna know what the grading scale is down there and do you carry cleaning supplies with you?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Some of those covers are ridiculous.

The Mac Collection-Party Fever sooooooo ill.
    The Ofege LP with dude flipping the bird. awesome
    The Bunny Mack cover is begging for a strut makeover.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Great finds and pic's. I sent you a PM with a question about some zmpl. If you get a second, please let me know if you know what I'm speaking on. I look forward to your next round of dig's...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Wow! I wanna know what the grading scale is down there and do you carry cleaning supplies with you?
    I don't really worry too much about grading...
    I'm happy if the sleeve's still in one piece and if you can still make out the cover design and read what's written on it.
    Vinyl ranges from unplayed to unplayable and sometimes even unplayed records crackle like hell due to rough local pressing.
    It's best to accept minor noise and crackle as aural patina.

While traveling, I usually only clean those records who have dust, dirt or sand on them so they could get more scratched if I'd transport them like they are. I just rinse them under running water with a bit of soap. Thorough cleaning follows once I'm back at home.

Often, when I get back to the hotel in the evening after a long day of digging, I am just as filthy as the dirtiest records that I found. Sometimes, I just remove some records from the sleeve and take them under the shower with me... I know that sounds kinda weird but it saves time and since you never know when the water might be cut, it makes sense to do the most necessary cleaning all at once...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Often, when I get back to the hotel in the evening after a long day of digging, I am just as filthy as the dirtiest records that I found. Sometimes, I just remove some records from the sleeve and take them under the shower with me...

Sexy Beast.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This would have made a great documentary. Or maybe I'm just that much of a record nerd. Really cool pics.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    that pat thomas is a really good record...

I am sure the people you meet along the way are even more rewarding than the records themselves.

• This would have made a great documentary. Or maybe I'm just that much of a record nerd. Really cool pics.

I hear this. Just like a 10-15 minute short to get a more in depth look at the experience.

Simply fascinating stuff.

• You guys like records, too? I almost forgot.

These finds really call for a 'nother-level facemelt graemlin. Thanks a lot for sharing the stories on the blog. That type of traveling and interacting with the sellers is an art in itself. Now that's what I call diggin'!