Question: Who owns the GSF masters?

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I have a project going on, and since some of you do reissues and licensing, I need some help. Since the Skull Snaps album was recently reissued, does that mean the master tapes were available, or was it mastered from vinyl? Who currently owns the GSF masters? Inform.

Comments

• Everytime Charly reissued something from GSF, it was always credited to the "Red Dog Express." (Some shady corporation that Charly invented? Just a guess...)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wasn't this Lloyd Price's label?

perhaps contacting him could help

• Everytime Charly reissued something from GSF, it was always credited to the "Red Dog Express." (Some shady corporation that Charly invented? Just a guess...)

Charly is generally straightforward with who they license from, or maybe I'm thinking of the Bear Family. I'll look into that one just in case.

Here's what I found out. Red Dog Express was a company run by Marshall Sehorn (check your Meters liner notes). Sehorn ran a number of labels and licensing companies, including Creative Sounds, but some sources I've come across claim that Sehorn had no rights in some of these tracks. One lawsuit involved him being a defendant against K-Tel, and K-Tel won. Another source claims that most of the music that was "owned" by Red Dog Express went to Warner Bros. I don't have any of the recent funk comps Rhino has released, so I can't check and see if any Sehorn-related labels were included with the other songs.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Everytime Charly reissued something from GSF, it was always credited to the "Red Dog Express." (Some shady corporation that Charly invented? Just a guess...)

Here's what I found out. Red Dog Express was a company run by Marshall Sehorn (check your Meters liner notes). Sehorn ran a number of labels and licensing companies, including Creative Sounds, but some sources I've come across claim that Sehorn had no rights in some of these tracks. One lawsuit involved him being a defendant against K-Tel, and K-Tel won. Another source claims that most of the music that was "owned" by Red Dog Express went to Warner Bros. I don't have any of the recent funk comps Rhino has released, so I can't check and see if any Sehorn-related labels were included with the other songs.

My 2001 Meters comp Anthology: The Josie Years doesn't mention anything other than Charly Licensing ApS. But that's undoubtedly too early.

• I have a project going on, and since some of you do reissues and licensing, I need some help. Since the Skull Snaps album was recently reissued, does that mean the master tapes were available, or was it mastered from vinyl? Who currently owns the GSF masters? Inform.

The Sylvia Robinson empire owns the catalog. Her nephew offered Skull Snapps to me but he hasn't come thru.

• I have a project going on, and since some of you do reissues and licensing, I need some help. Since the Skull Snaps album was recently reissued, does that mean the master tapes were available, or was it mastered from vinyl? Who currently owns the GSF masters? Inform.

The Sylvia Robinson empire owns the catalog. Her nephew offered Skull Snapps to me but he hasn't come thru.

Offered as in... to use for a production (as in sample usage) or... well, there really wouldn't an "other" since she owns the masters.

I'll keep on looking. Thanks for everyone's help, though.

Offered as in... to use for a production (as in sample usage) or... well, there really wouldn't an "other" since she owns the masters.

Yeah they want people to sample the all plat/stang/gsf/whatever else they own catalog

Yeah they want people to sample the all plat/stang/gsf/whatever else they own catalog

skutch ? if so...same deal here.