Is this record good? (RR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I have never heard it, and need to know if it's good/funky black man soul or good funky black man blues?Has a cover of 'ain't no sunshine' which has me interested.

Comments

• Found this recently for cheap. The album is decent blues but not outstanding. "Aint No Sunshine" is definitely a highlight.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's alright, kinda tepid. As I remember each side has a different rhythm section, I think the part produced by Leon Russell was better.

I wouldn't spend over $3 on it, really.

• The cover image is definitely dope.

• its decent funky blues. i like getting ready a lil bit better. but not by much.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    good funky black man blues?

My fave of all the "Kings"....local Dallas dude who died too young

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    kinda tepid compared to all the other blues lp out in the world but good if you get it cheap I guess

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    nothing to call home about.
    I got a beat copy of it, if you want to pay postage.

• I have never heard it, and need to know if it's good/funky black man soul or good funky black man blues?

Has a cover of 'ain't no sunshine' which has me interested.

This is "black blues guy jamming with white hippie rock musicians"! Funk ain't got nothing to do with it! Why do some of y'all think that all blues from the early seventies is automatically gonna be funk-influenced?

With that mysterious "funk" conceit out of the way...as the others have said, it's decent but no out-and-out classic. From a blues standpoint, I'd sooner stick with his stuff on the King/Federal label - his later things on Cotillion, Shelter and RSO are just optional, far as I'm concerned.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Ain't No Sunshine is the highlight of the album, otherwise pretty much electric Blues. Song can also be found on a 45.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=2578

If you want to get something more Funk and Soul based check this one out. Some really good stuff on it.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=350

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I have never heard it, and need to know if it's good/funky black man soul or good funky black man blues?

Is labeling things "funky black man" some Soulstrut-insider shit im not hip to?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I have never heard it, and need to know if it's good/funky black man soul or good funky black man blues?

Is labeling things "funky black man" some Soulstrut-insider shit im not hip to?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You can live a completely normal and fulfilled life without ever hearing this record.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    You can live a completely normal and fulfilled life without ever hearing this record.

I think that this is probably the moral of this thread. I will pass on this record since I can't listen to it in said locatino, and it's about $10. I really don't need more average records in my expedit!