ROSEY GRIER (RR)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Later for his football stats** and needlepoint skills, I'm talking about his records. TV Land is currently using his "It's All Right To Cry"*** for a commercial, and all I can say is this man is that for a man better known as an athlete, Rosey Grier could sang. He made enough 45's through the years (plus two albums - one in the sixties, the other a contemporary gospel album from the eighties) that somebody should do a Grier compilation. I don't mean one of those William Shatner-esque "Stars Sing Shit" compilations, I seriously think he should be evaluated as the top-notch soul singer he was (and maybe still is?). The two "Roosevelt Grier" (as he was known) singles I have, on the Amy label, were both recorded in Memphis at American Studios - he sounds somewhere between a more confident Arthur Alexander and a less-intense James Carr. His "People Make The World" LORDS IT over Wilson Pickett's or the Box Tops' versions (not that their renditions were bad, but Grier was pickin' 'em up and layin' 'em down on that one). Anybody heard his records? Got anything to say about 'em? 'Cause Rosey Grier at the mic was no joke, and if it hadn't been for football, he could have just as easily made it happen in music.[color:red]**and while we're at it, any opinions on Deacon Jones' records?***from the TV soundtrack for Marlo Thomas' Free To Be, You & Me special[/color]

Comments