'HEARD it, but didn't know / record it' stories.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Ever heard a track sometime and thought 'I GOTTA know what that is!!', BUT you didn't know the artist or title and you didn't have time to record it either?That happened to me once. A 95% instumental snippet of it too. After TWO years of hunting down clues and recognising original samples from memory[/b], I eventually got the hook-up..... and that was from the guy who had played it when I heard it.Props to David Holmes.That was one hell of a hunt though.Anyone ever been in that kinda jam?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The worst part is when it's a record you have. Not that you forgot about it, but you just never listened to the one track.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    i can remember NUMEROUS occasions where i'd hear t.r.o.y. on the radio, damn i was only 8 in '92!!...musta been between the ages of like 9 and 12 though...i'd hear the actual song played and sometimes just the instro with dj's talking over it. anyways i was not at all immersed in hip-hop at that point so it was pretty impossible to figure out what it was and fuck those dj's for always goin straight into another track!...anyways thats about as generic as it gets, but what a feeling to finally find out!....and then play the track hundreds of times and get sick of/numb to it...boooo

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    The worst part is when it's a record you have. Not that you forgot about it, but you just never listened to the one track.

That would definitely warrant one of those loud ass 'ohhhhhhh SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT's.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Reynaldo posted some track and refused to say what it was a little over a month ago...it sounded kind of countryish. Some guy singing about a girl named Rosie.

Anyway shit was hot!

• Reynaldo posted some track and refused to say what it was a little over a month ago...it sounded kind of countryish. Some guy singing about a girl named Rosie.

Anyway shit was hot!

Yeah i remember that shit. i was digging it. i can't remember 1/5 of the records i hear and want from soul strut and the real world. and i dont even smoke the cheeeba cheeeebaaa. does memory go with age or am i just out of memory?

• Reynaldo posted some track and refused to say what it was a little over a month ago...it sounded kind of countryish. Some guy singing about a girl named Rosie.

Anyway shit was hot!

Oh yeah... sheeit... completely forgot about that... Did he ever say what it was?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Reynaldo posted some track and refused to say what it was a little over a month ago...it sounded kind of countryish. Some guy singing about a girl named Rosie.

Anyway shit was hot!

Oh yeah... sheeit... completely forgot about that... Did he ever say what it was?

And come to think of it, Mr. Lee, what was the track YOU were looking for?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

Anyway shit was hot!

nope...not even over PM. That bastard!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i can remember NUMEROUS occasions where i'd hear t.r.o.y. on the radio, damn i was only 8 in '92!!...musta been between the ages of like 9 and 12 though...i'd hear the actual song played and sometimes just the instro with dj's talking over it. anyways i was not at all immersed in hip-hop at that point so it was pretty impossible to figure out what it was and fuck those dj's for always goin straight into another track!...anyways thats about as generic as it gets, but what a feeling to finally find out!....and then play the track hundreds of times and get sick of/numb to it...boooo

similar problem with UMC's - One To Grow On
    the "urban" stations here used to segwey with this bed all the time!!! didn't hear the actual song til much later.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

that is the shit right thurr.