Pamoja "Ooh Baby" 7" reish on Lotus Land

Terry_ClubbupTerry_Clubbup 833 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Hi, anybody else cop this?it's not a reproduction effort, as the b-side is a rare songby the modern soul band Jewel called "Paradise".I'm pretty happy they did this, because this saves me from spending20 times as much money on a damaged and crackly Pamoja.With this reissue I can put this in a long 45 set without worryingabout it getting messed up.Also, in Chicago, this song was such a staple of the Sheer Magicsoul night, that at least in my mind those guys kind of own thissong in the early 21st century for that zip code. Funny thing is,they always have it (and most other records) pitched up so high,that now when I hear the original it sounds like a hermaphrodite singer.Our German friend Frank would probably point out that the soundspectrum on this reissue is weak compared to the original.However, I am confident that I never set foot in any room witha system upon which one could tell the difference.I am somewhat dissapointed that side B of the copy I bought appearsto be slightly off-center. I have a couple Jewel records, but I'venever heard this one. Jewel is a good band for you if you like lotsof handclaps and synths. If I confirm through rounds of troubleshootingthat the Jewel side is indeed off-center, I will probably not playthat side because it will make me feel like I need to go to the bathroom.In which case I wonder if I should have bought the Soul Patrol v.19compilation which features Pamoja. Soul Patrol records are bootlegs:the original artists are not contacted or paid for the appearanceof their song. I was thinking that the Lotus Land 7" would be legitimate,but come to think of it I am not 100% sure.A thought : was there ever a soul band named Osco?Because then you could put out a reish 7" where one side is Jewel and the other side is Osco, and the Osco side could be pressedoff-center, because that is where the liquor is kept.In conclusion, the Pamoja sounds good, and if you've been needing that,this is a bargain. However I will probably only play it in other townsor at suburban weddings, or just at home.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I luv the fucking record since I heard it on High C's mix... I might pick it up. But I'm still keeping my eye out for the OG.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    thats one of the tunes on my wedding cd that im making... killer tune!!! one of my all time favorite cuts... i recommend that everyone find themselves an OG or a boot of this immediately... itll change your life.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Tom and crew did this the legit way.. artists paid and all that deal...

dude gets the props for real!

my copy better be in the mail dog!!!

and where's that freakin bass file homey???

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I am somewhat dissapointed that side B of the copy I bought appears
    to be slightly off-center.

Terry_C The Off-Center 45 King

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Terry, your distaste for off pressed records disturbs me. Tom, is this anywhere in chicago or do I have to have someone stop at the store Saturday?

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    I heard the test press and it sounded real real good on a living room stereo. That cut is TOO DAMN MUCH-never really heard anything quite like it before! From chicagos even! If I am not mistaken Pamoja and Jewel are related...you out there Tom?

• numericnumeric 152 Posts
    Where can this be purchased? I need this joint....

Nevermind.....dusty groove.

I am so happy I lost that auction. Now I can buy 10 of em.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i already ordered some to give away as birthday presents
    best song ever

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    pamoja and jewel are the same band from different periods no?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    itll change your life.

Cosign... what a beautiful jam. Great for summer, in fact it's in my Summer Soulstice mix that I'll be posting in a day or 2.

DJ Ferrari

• Terry_C The Off-Center 45 King

Plaese to never take me to Jamaica.

I'll go anywhere, just plase never to Jamaica.
    A sandy crack, a rusty compass, a cracked protractor,
    and no records that pass muster.

Perhaps we could do Germany instead [wiggles fingers together excitedly].

Pass the mustard.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    yes, this is the summer jammie.

the folks at sheer magic never play jewel 'paradise' so i guess you could reserve street cred in chi by playing that side.

yes, this shit is 100% legit. k.stevens paid in full at this point. the lp reissues of this are 100% bootlegged. it really isn't that hard to do it legit.

dustygroove had copies, ours are gone. disk union in tokyo is selling it for $11. just ordered another 500 copies so we'll have at least 100 left to slang from our website/email/telephone number with credit card handy. groove merchant should have a small grip, so should good music in nyc.

mastering was tough because we didn't have access to masters. but we got our top man on the job, dave cooley, who just did all the mastering for egon's new comp "cold heat". his job was to make it sound good for dj's, i think he nailed it. jewel especially.

we at lotusland are planning more releases as well. some hype shit. quinn harris up next to bat!

dubious, shit- i ran out before i could get you yours in the mail. don't worry though, smore on the way. and i'll get you the bassline dude!!!!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    quinn harris up next to bat!

That will go over nicely as well. Keep up the good work man.

DJ Ferrari

• If I am not mistaken Pamoja and Jewel are related...

Not sure about that, but I know that in a previous incarnation,
    Jewel was a band called Nimbiss.

Ask your dude Carnation Acidophilus.

nimbiss is weird. a blackhole of knowledge right there. keith (writer of paradise, which nimbiss covered) has no idea who nimbiss is. nor does he know the exec producer of that 12". never heard of em. yet he does remember the telescope label design from the nimbiss fullscope label. just doesn't add up. i now have the nimbiss 12" of paradise, and i can safely say that this is a different version by a different group all together. maybe they sent keith a promo and that's why had a copy. IT ISN'T AS GOOD AS THE 45 BY JEWEL. for real.

cheers!
    the quinn harris will be "all in the soul" (3:45 edit) b/w "stop telling me lies" originally on reynolds records......
    we also are trying to get this Freedom record re-issued after that. "can't you see" and another track called "high on you" the first two recordings released independently from this classic soul/funk outfit. you can catch a clip of "can't you see" on my website www.lotuslandrecords.net

• I luv the fucking record since I heard it on High C's mix...

and when meaty rocked it at the spot before i moved here. wouldnt mind the re-ish. dusty groove has them?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

nimbiss is weird. a blackhole of knowledge right there. keith (writer of paradise, which nimbiss covered) has no idea who nimbiss is. nor does he know the exec producer of that 12". never heard of em. yet he does remember the telescope label design from the nimbiss fullscope label. just doesn't add up. i now have the nimbiss 12" of paradise, and i can safely say that this is a different version by a different group all together. maybe they sent keith a promo and that's why had a copy. IT ISN'T AS GOOD AS THE 45 BY JEWEL. for real.

this shit is dope!!!

and nice going on the Quinn Harris. i havent talked to paul since i interviewed him a month or so back. hes such a nice guy but business is business and then theres the hang out time... haha... he lives a few blocks from me.