WHAT ARE SOME OF THE RAREST FANIA GOLD 7"?

davidwingatedavidwingate 748 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Hey, I am just curious what would be some of the rarest Fania Gold 7"?Amir

Comments

• I don't know the answer but it's kind of suprising that noone has done a Fania 45 discography, of at least the early stuff. I don't think I've ever even come across a proper LP discography for this label.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bobby Valentin "Use it before you lose it" / "Funky big feet"

• yeah, that would be nice...any other ones people can think of?

Amir

• What does the "Gold" mean?

Was it a different label all together than the standard Fania?

Please to school me.

• What does the "Gold" mean?

Was it a different label all together than the standard Fania?

Please to school me.

The earlier appearance of the label, before it got all tie-dyed looking, was straight black tupe on a gold background.

• I see.

I take it, these aren't that common out in the field?

Thanks for the heads up.

• I see.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've only seen a few, whereas the later label is all over the place.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't know the answer but it's kind of suprising that noone has done a Fania 45 discography, of at least the early stuff. I don't think I've ever even come across a proper LP discography for this label.

I've had the same thought. I can't tell if it's one of those cases where it's

1) the discography is so big that it's too daunting or
    2) no one's ever bothered.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    You should cop that, Rey!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I don't know the answer but it's kind of suprising that noone has done a Fania 45 discography, of at least the early stuff. I don't think I've ever even come across a proper LP discography for this label.

Rey has done a 45 discography:

http://reynaldo82.blogspot.com/2009/02/partial-fania-45-discography-additions.html

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Tonearm_Robbery said:
    I see.

Thanks for the heads up.

i've come across several gold LP's in the field but 45s it seems never come up. i did find about 25 of them once in one batch and EVERY SINGLE ONE was missing about 1/4 of it. as they were saying "hey Chris you punk azz bitch, jokes on you!"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    behemoth said:
    Tonearm_Robbery said:
    I see.

Thanks for the heads up.

i've come across several gold LP's in the field but 45s it seems never come up. i did find about 25 of them once in one batch and EVERY SINGLE ONE was missing about 1/4 of it. as they were saying "hey Chris you punk azz bitch, jokes on you!"

1/4 was missing? What's that mean, somebody sliced into the vinyl or something?

mannybolone said:

I would say #2. As far as #1...the Both Sides Now site is filled with labels that had similar lifespans as Fania, so it can't be THAT hard to manage. Until then, those Fania innersleeves from the early seventies are as close as we're going to get to a discog (up through '71, at least).

faux_rillz said:
    mannybolone said:

Rey had done a 45 discography:

http://reynaldo82.blogspot.com/2009/02/partial-fania-45-discography-additions.html

I would have liked to have seen some release dates, but apart from that...not bad.

funky16corners said:
    I see.

Thanks for the heads up.

I've only seen a few, whereas the later label is all over the place.

The gold label is so rare that I never saw that design until I started posting on Soul Strut. It's the "tie-dye" and the one with the greenish landscape that I usually see.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    behemoth said:
    Tonearm_Robbery said:
    I see.

Thanks for the heads up.

1/4 was missing? What's that mean, somebody sliced into the vinyl or something?

cracked yea

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    mannybolone said:

manny your should PM faux to see if you could contribute to his lp discography

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    pcmr said:
    faux_rillz said:
    mannybolone said:

manny your should PM faux to see if you could contribute to his lp discography

Oh, Oliver and I have been in touch about Latin discographies plenty over the years. The Fania LP discography started by me, Garcia Vega and the long-absent Dyra Stanks now also resides on Reynaldo's site.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Rey's site is one of my most visited online music resources. Thanks for putting that together, dude! (plus all other contributors)