PLEASE HELP ME prevent neighbor taking my CAT AWAY

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Okay, I know this is TOTALLY NRR and a SUPER LONG post(but it is VERY important tp my gf and I, so PLEASE read it!), but I need answers pretty quick before this crazy bitch neighbor of mine acts on her threat(which will result in me going to jail after I handle her ass). (ill warn you this post is kinda long, but it is VERY important to me and my girlfriend, and who knows..you might know what can/should do).When we moved in this house, the former owner and the current owner(we rent) warned us that she is "crazy" and to just overlook her. We realized this quickly when we noticed how Frickin' amazingly noisy she is. For example: you can look out our side window toward her house and see she is nowhere to be found..which means she is inside, but as soon as me or my girl steps out, she magically appears outside and pretend to be doing something(literally within less than a minute). personally I am convinced she is just an batty busy body ol' bitch that spies on us by looking out of windows for us,etc.Several months back we rescued a mother cat and her new born kittens from underneath our house. Keep in mine we live in a mill house(they dont have basements..just tiny crawl spaces). So in order to rescue them, we had to army style crawl from the front side of the house(where the opening is) all the way to the back of the house..which was EXTREMELY difficult due to the thick pipes and air conditioning tunnel things(you know, the tunnel looking things that look like they are wrapped in foil).So once we rescued the cats, we realized the mother was in very bad shape-health wise ..bone skinny and had several open wounds. Being the animal lovers that me and my girlfriend are, took them all in, took the mother to the vet, got her back to good health,all her shots..the whole 9 yards. We raised the kittens in a spare room until they were old enough to be seperated from their mother and we found them all great homes. We decided to keep the mother since we rescued her and she was such a cool ass cat(and I used to HATE cats!).She is an outside cats(as a lot of cats are) because it is just the way she has lived her entire life..she'd go crazy if we tried keeping her inside(plus my black lab wouldnt like that too much either). So she hangs around the house..mostly on our porch, in the bushes or in a tree in our front yard. Of course, like any cat..she roams around. She does not get into peoples shit(trash,etc) or anything like that..you honestly could not find a better well mannered and loving cat.Well, this cunt of a neighbor left a voicemail on my girl's phone talmbout "I am going to have this cat picked up "because I don't like the smell of cats". WTF? One, the cat doesnt even hang at her place like that for "the smell to affect her." We live in a mill village..for those that don't know what that is, it's old ass single level houses in the hood where all the textile mills were/are located at at-we have several in my city since we were the textile capital of the entire world back in the day(actually, Shoeless Joe Jackson was from one about 5 min up the st. from me)..ok, sorry to get off track, but all of the houses were built very close together. I could probably spit a loogie wad out of my side window and hit my cunt of a neighbors house(maybe not THAT close, but you get the idea). So of course, like any normal cat..she wanders around every now and then(it is just what cats do). But this bitch ass neighbor acts like our cat Frickin' lives at her place or something"stinking up her place". I will be the first to admit, I always hated cats(until I fell in love with this one), and have always hated that "cat smell"(you know, those houses you walk into that wreaks of cat shit,etc...but this cat doesnt stink..we take great care of her.Again, I am really sorry I made this post so damn long, but I felt I needed to give a little background to put the situation in perspective. What I need to know(and I am sure this varies state to state,city to city,county to county,etc), is it possible for this cunt of neighbor to legally have our cat taken away. The real kicker about this situation, is there are several alley cats in our n'hood that mostly come out at night..and I am sure wander over to cunt neighbors house..YET, SHE WANTS TO TAKE OUT CAT AWAY FROM US. I know I am working with limited time before she takes the cat to the shelter or has it picked up. I even noticed about an hout ago by her lil shed in her backyard, she has one of those small pet courier things(and she doesnt have any pets)..which leads to believe she has it for the catching the cat. So what would you people do in this situation? What should I do to handle it? Am I screwed? Can they just take our cat because one cunt says she doesnt like the way it smells(keep in mine we dont keep a trashy house, we have one of the looking houses on our street). As I mentioned earlier, I know this varies according to where you live at...but maybe yall can point me the right direction or have some good solid advice about how to handle it. Someone PLEASE help. When my girlfriend called me earlier to tell me about the v.mail she has just received, she was balling.I know this post is one clusterfuck..and probably FULL of grammar mistakes and shit, but I am just rushing and pissed.Please help us.

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    File a complaint with the local PD. May not seem important, but you need to strike first. IF she ever does anything, you have that on your side... plus i'm betting your local cops probably know about her anyway.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    File a complaint with the local PD. May not seem important, but you need to strike first. IF she ever does anything, you have that on your side... plus i'm betting your local cops probably know about her anyway.

Yes, start keeping a record of everything that goes on between you and her, including what she says, etc.You might want to speak to your vet/SPCA/Humane Society about your rights, etc. and if she can actually get the cat taken away with the kind of complaints she has.

I know what you mean about it not being fair to keep her indoors, but if you think this woman is crazy...do you you think she is crazy enough to leave something out that might harm the cat - like poisoned food?

• Get the cat indside and keep it there. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the law doesn't provide protection for "outdoor" cats, i.e. they might as well be stray which means she could have Animal Control pick the cat up, assuming she doesn't just go ahead and do something herself (which she sounds crazy enough to do).
    Good luck.

Get the cat indside and keep it there.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Get your cat chipped (tag under the skin) and registered and get a collar on it with the name and your contacts clearly engraved. I doubt the shelter would take a cat in good health that clearly belongs to someone. And, yeah, make a record of those threats and conversations and make it clear to the old girl that if the cat vanishes ypu'll hold her responsible. If your cat goes missing contact the shelter etc ask them to check for your cat's tag. Even if someone has removed the collar the chip will identify it. And the smell your neighbour is getting is more likely to be spray from a tom. Good luck.

• I cant keep the cat inside. When we rescued her she was a outside cat..it is all she knows. And even more important, we have a 90+lb black lab dog that wouldnt like a new feline addition to the family(if you catch my drift).

And yes, I could totally see this bitch poisoning this cat. Trust me, the thought has crossed my mind many times.

She is on our property probably AT LEAST 75% of the day/night. She is fed on my front porch. Sleeps on our porch and bushes right by our porch. There is NO Frickin' WAY this cat is bothering this stupid ass bitch(sorry ladies, but I am Frickin' fuming right now). She just a nutty old bat that has nothing better to do than nitpick little bullshit(that is what was told to us prior to us moving in from the previous owner and current owner)

• Options
    Well, this cunt of a neighbor left a voicemail on my girl's phone talmbout "I am going to have this cat picked up "because I don't like the smell of cats". WTF? One, the cat doesnt even hang at her place like that for "the smell to affect her." We live in a mill village..for those that don't know what that is, it's old ass single level houses in the hood where all the textile mills were/are located at at-we have several in my city since we were the textile capital of the entire world back in the day(actually, Shoeless Joe Jackson was from one about 5 min up the st. from me)..ok, sorry to get off track, but all of the houses were built very close together. I could probably spit a loogie wad out of my side window and hit my cunt of a neighbors house(maybe not THAT close, but you get the idea).

So of course, like any normal cat..she wanders around every now and then(it is just what cats do). But this bitch ass neighbor acts like our cat Frickin' lives at her place or something"stinking up her place". I will be the first to admit, I always hated cats(until I fell in love with this one), and have always hated that "cat smell"(you know, those houses you walk into that wreaks of cat shit,etc...but this cat doesnt stink..we take great care of her.

Where does your cat piss? I have a neighbor who takes care of three cats that are outside cats, and since she takes care of them and leacves food out for them, naturally they're not going to piss and shit over there. So they wander across the street and piss on my lawn, damn near evey day. All summer long I'd open my windows in the morning and have the fresh smell of cat piss blow right into the house, and have also had to stare at large patches of dead grass where they go to the bathroom.

A few weeks ago one of them even pissed directly on my porch. I know it was one of them because I've caught them laying on my furniture out there. I'm not the only one annoyed either, another neighbor threatened her that they would kill them, not even take them to a shelter, just straight out kill them. It's really obnoxious...she feeds them, we clean the shit up.

She's tried to find homes for them but can't. She found homes for the 7 other strays that were released from an old womans home who passed away (so at one point there were 10 outside cats roaming).

So, when you say that the cats don't hang there, how do you know they aren't pissing on her lawn or in her flowerbeds and coming right back to your place? It's nice what you're doing, I love animals too. But people get pissed when animals that aren't theirs are coming over and pissing on the lawn. I'm sure she's crazy and all that, but I'm just trying to show what the other side is like. It's annoying.

Sorry if I sound like an angry neighbor. I hope she doesn't get your cat, just like I hope my other neighbor doesn't kill the ones around here. And yeah, maybe try keeping it inside?

• I cant keep the cat inside. When we rescued her she was a outside cat..

My wife and I have three cats and the two that were outdoor cats and were rescued love it inside. They know how hard it can be outside so as long as they are fed and have some toys they are good to go. Don't know about the dog, but they miught get along better than you think.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    One of my neighbors has an outside cat that has decided that my backyard and porch are it's bathroom. One morning recently I looked out my kitchen window (which is off the porch) and saw that motherfucker out on the ledge. He raised his leg and sprayed the window with piss as I watched him. I was already mad that my yard smelled like cat pee, but that shit is the last straw. The neighbor has been warned in the past because the cat has killed a couple of birds that were nesting in the trees (and I was a big fan of the cardnials), but now this shit is personal. Me and that cat officially have a problem.

Not saying that your cat is doing the same thing, but understand that if he isn't pissing and crapping in your yard, he's doing it somewhere and not everyone is sympathetic.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    wrist rocket and marbles

wrist rocket and marbles

Believe me, only my wife is stopping me from taking it there.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    wrist rocket and marbles

Believe me, only my wife is stopping me from taking it there.

Super Soaker, then? Perhaps filled with your own urine?

• Kill her with kindness.

• Save that voicemail. Take pictures of that cat cage. Keep all communication in writing.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Kill her with kindness.

And a baseball bat.

• Save that voicemail. Take pictures of that cat cage. Keep all communication in writing.

Very good points. Also keep in mind what was mentioned earlier regarding where the cat pisses and shits. As crazy as this broad sounds, she may have a valid argument. Cat piss smells absolutely awful and I'd be looking to get rid of a neighbor's cat if it did that too. You can't blame people for that sort of nuisance.

It would probably be a good idea to try to acclimate your cat to being indoors and seeing how it would interact with your dog. Black Labs are a particularly good natured breed and you may be surprised by the results of having your dog and cat interact. Of course, under your supervision....

I detested cats with a passion until my girl's cat won me over... I now hate all other cats but her.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Get the cat indside and keep it there. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the law doesn't provide protection for "outdoor" cats, i.e. they might as well be stray which means she could have Animal Control pick the cat up, assuming she doesn't just go ahead and do something herself (which she sounds crazy enough to do).
    Good luck.

seriously, keep the cat inside and that should dead the neighbor's beef right there. Put a collar on it too to mkae sure that it is clear that she is YOUR cat, not the neighborhood's alley cat that just roams free.

We had a neighbor who fed a whole rack of wild cats, and all it did was result in those cats having more cats, and so on,etc. Eventually animal control did come out and round up a bunch of 'em. At a certain point, this neighbor of mine was doing more harm than good to the cats.

I cant keep the cat inside. When we rescued her she was a outside cat..it is all she knows. And even more important, we have a 90+lb black lab dog that wouldnt like a new feline addition to the family(if you catch my drift).

no offense, but it sounds like you need to find this cat a farm somewhere. If you can't keep a pet as a pet, meaning inside your home, then it seems that you really can't be responsible for where that cat will and won't go. And if I was your neighbor, I would not see that as MY problem, but rather YOUR problem. And as such, if she wants to make waves, chances are you are going to be on the short end of that stick.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I cant keep the cat inside. When we rescued her she was a outside cat..it is all she knows. And even more important, we have a 90+lb black lab dog that wouldnt like a new feline addition to the family(if you catch my drift).

no offense, but it sounds like you need to find this cat a farm somewhere. If you can't keep a pet as a pet, meaning inside your home, then it seems that you really can't be responsible for where that cat will and won't go. And if I was your neighbor, I would not see that as MY problem, but rather YOUR problem. And as such, if she wants to make waves, chances are you are going to be on the short end of that stick.

Naw dude... if a cat doesn't want to stay inside it will NOT stay inside no matter what. Our last cat, we wanted her to be an indoor outdoor cat, but she wasn't having it. It was literally impossible to keep her in the house, and once she got out we would try to chase her around forever to get her back in, but she would only come back in when SHE felt like it. If you try to keep a cat inside that doesn't want to be there you will be miserable because it is IMPOSSIBLE.

Also, I have a crazy neighbor too. Bonafide crazy. Batshit nutterhouse crazy.

You look at that bitch and say "Bitch, shut the fuck up, trick."

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    if its now YOUR cat get her neutered. that should help a little with her spraying but wont necessarily help with the smell. weve had tons of cats in our yard that pee and poop but ive never smelled any of them except when they spray.

keep your vet bills... thats a sure sign of pet ownership. especially since it seems like youve been taking care of her for a little while.

i agree with someone earlier who said to call the spca/vet and see what you should do. i dont think the police will care but if you have a police nonemergency number it cant hurt to call them and see if they have some advice too.

...or you can always just show up inside her bedroom in the middle of the night with a flashlight and a bat and start wilding out telling her that if you ever find your cat or dog hurt that she'll be the next one to feel pain.

actually thats not entirely true. like i said we had cats all over our neighborhood and my dad was having a problem with our dog trying to catch the cats in the backyard. we were told that cats have free reign and can go anywhere they want to. it would of been against the law to set up traps too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Caucasoids and animals.

actually thats not entirely true. like i said we had cats all over our neighborhood and my dad was having a problem with our dog trying to catch the cats in the backyard. we were told that cats have free reign and can go anywhere they want to. it would of been against the law to set up traps too.

I am just saying that if a cat is wild, it's wild, and that's a problem in any city. If it's yours and you live in town, it should be inside or in a controlled environment outside (ie fenced in area). I understand that people have other opinions about that, and that's fine. But if I was a neighbor and someone claimed ownership of cats that roamed free, I would take issue with that stance. And on top of that, how do you 'pet' an animal that roams free outside? You really don't know what/where that cat has been/been into. Pretty gross, imo, and I am no germaphobe.

I imagine laws are different everywhere, but I also believe that most places have Animal Control that act on public health codes and regulations that the average lay person would be unaware of, and they probably have a lot of lee-way to make the calls as they see 'em.

Caucasoids and animals.

Word. They dance funny too.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I would literally threaten to kill my neighbor. Everytime I'd see her punk her and talk about the gun I was going to kill her with.

That's me though.

- spidey

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

My mom catches cats quite frequently (with a humane trap). They destroy her garden and piss all over her house. She claims that catching wild cats and sending them in is perfectly legal in Alameda Co. If she ever got one that had a tag she would never turn it in. These aren't pets though. They're deranged street cats. There's one that come through her yard with NO HIND LEGS! I call him Scrappy Cat. Dude just drags himself around. One eye too. The thing looks like it should have been dead a while ago. She wants to catch that one just to put it out of it's misery, but he's too smart for the trap.

There's one that come through her yard with NO HIND LEGS! I call him Scrappy Cat. Dude just drags himself around. One eye too......She wants to catch that one just to put it out of it's misery, but he's too smart for the trap.

S/he doesn't sound too miserable.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I would literally threaten to kill my neighbor. Everytime I'd see her punk her and talk about the gun I was going to kill her with.

That's me though.

- spidey

Only is she was standing on your property. Otherwise you're in for a heap of trouble.

• If it's yours and you live in town, it should be inside or in a controlled environment outside (ie fenced in area).

You must not have ever had a cat if you think that a cat can be contained in a fenced backyard. Cats laugh at your fence. My cats use the fence around our yard as a launching pad to catch low flying birds midair.
    I have two cats and they are indoor/outdoor pets. I worry all the time that they will get into trouble outside (one of my cats climbed into an open comcast cable installers van once, he got to ride for a block before he was discovered) But they wear collars and we got them microchipped as suggested above. This sets my mind at ease somewhat. The microchip is cheap and easy (its just like giving them a shot).

I am just saying that if a cat is wild, it's wild, and that's a problem in any city. If it's yours and you live in town, it should be inside or in a controlled environment outside (ie fenced in area). I understand that people have other opinions about that, and that's fine. But if I was a neighbor and someone claimed ownership of cats that roamed free, I would take issue with that stance. And on top of that, how do you 'pet' an animal that roams free outside? You really don't know what/where that cat has been/been into. Pretty gross, imo, and I am no germaphobe.

I imagine laws are different everywhere, but I also believe that most places have Animal Control that act on public health codes and regulations that the average lay person would be unaware of, and they probably have a lot of lee-way to make the calls as they see 'em.

it was a wild cat... now its an outdoor cat. wild cats only come around for food and then bounce but an outdoor cat will come when youre outside chill on your lap walk around the yard or even come inside and chill (not the way with SC but he has a dog that doesnt like that cat).

also... you can pet your animal even though it roams around the neighborhood. a wild cat might not let you pet it but an outdoor cat will... usually... and im two steps away from being a germaphobe.