Baden Powell - Vinicius: Afro Sambas

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
OK plenty of people (including myself) name check this record, but I've never seen us devote a discussion post to it, so...this is an incredible record. Pretty unique and a landmark which is rightfully mentioned early in any discussion of the work of these 2 artists.But let's face it: there's too much reverb on the voices n shit. Like, waaaaay too much. Granted, I'm only rocking the Barclay edition but I'm assuming the OG is the same, correct me if I'm wrong.Next, a tougher subject to broach, but these guys, especially Vinicius, were placing themselves pretty far outside of their experience here right? Like one of Vinicius' lyrics says, "I'm from the line of Umbanda." Meanwhile, he's this white poet-statesman guy. And the whole Afro-Brazil, candomble theme... I guess what I'm saying is that these guys weren't necessarily living what they were writing about.Furthermore, I've never really been convinced of Vinicius as a singer, that he should be on the mic at all.STILL, there's something magical[/dg] about this recording. Baden's guitar and compositions are absolutely , as are the arrangements by Guerra Peixe. Some of the best songs ever are on here, and the overall performance, while a little sloppy at times, is really passionate. And lastly, there's something about these songs taken together that makes them, as a 'song cycle,' greater than the sum of the parts.this would also be an appropriate place to discuss some of the re-recordings of Afro-Sambas that have been done over the years, some of which are quite good.basically, this is one of my favorite records, and i thought it would be cool to DISCUSS it here. I'm talking about records;

Comments

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Nice review, Ca**os.

Can't add too much to it, cos' I still don't have a copy.
    What I know is that Vinicius really was into Umbanda and, if I'm not wrong,
    he used to go frequently to Umbanda temples.
    There are many of his songs where he made lots of reference to Umbanda songs and deities.
    Aside the music, what impressed me was to know that both Baden and Vinicius closed
    themselves on an apartment during 3 months to compose the lyrics and music, and each one of them killed one bottle of whisky per day while day where there.
    These guys knew how to enjoy life.

Peace

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I like that reverb - gives it atmosphere