Trent Reznor says "Get On My Level"

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
New NIN remix album comes bundled with a DVD-ROM containing multitracks of the entire 'Year Zero' album. Interesting.

Comments

• the Saul Williams album he produced just "dropped" today as a free download

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Dude had an OiNK account and loves to go fishing with his grandpa.

• if every song he wrote wasn;t about suicide, violence, and betrayal i think i could still get with his music. dude has/had serious talent.

• He's a smart and interesting guy, who also knows the power of media representations and can cut through the bullshit. I've not listened to him in 10 years ("the downward spiral" was a serious blow to my entire high school) but I've got way more respect for him as a producer than the clones that came after. Trent vs. marilyn manson or rob zombie is like the puppeteer vs. the puppets.

• has anyone seen a pic of him lately?

i think he's on the dre diet plan

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Two things:

Does anyone over 14 listen to NIN?

Did you know Faux_Rillz was in an industrial band?

Also:

I've got way more respect for him as a producer than the clones that came after. Trent vs. marilyn manson or rob zombie is like the puppeteer vs. the puppets.

Not to discredit your dog collared memories, but Trent is a clone (I guess that makes Marilyn a clone-of-a-clone?). His pop-goth schtick, while popular, was pretty boring in the beginning (e.g., I was up above it/ But now I'm down in it) and adding layers to that jejune sound doesn't make him any more interesting or "deep." Is it a fair assessment to say he's just the least ridiculous of all the puppets?

I find his disco approach to industrial music terribly cliche. I've got a high tolerance for completely depressing music, suicide-as-theme, and noise, but Trent Reznor sounds closer to Madonna than Whitehouse or Throbbing Gristle or Luigi Russolo or Einst??rzende Neubauten.

If you listen to the Swan at their most accessible Burning World-era major label simplicity, they do Trent Reznor better than Reznor does himself.

I CAN'T EVEN ELEGANTLY BLEED[/b]

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Does anyone over 14 listen to NIN?

Nice post.

No one that I know. If they are bumping NIN they are doing so in the privacy of their own bedroom, and I can't hear their sobbing through the poster-covered walls.

A few years back, I remember quite a few DJs pulling out "Closer," which varrying degrees of success.

• Now I'm cast as the Trent-defender... ugh. I don't give much thought to him at all lately, much less listen to NIN. But at least Trent doesn't walk around with makeup on during the day, and has come out from the 90s as a producer. That alone sets him apart from the chaff. What's Ogre up to these days? (I had to wikipedia him, and I found out he "composed two music tracks for the computer game Descent II"... wow)

Trent is a clone (I guess that makes Marilyn a clone-of-a-clone?). His pop-goth schtick, while popular, was pretty boring in the beginning (e.g., I was up above it/ But now I'm down in it) and adding layers to that jejune sound doesn't make him any more interesting or "deep." Is it a fair assessment to say he's just the least ridiculous of all the puppets?

He is less ridiculous, agreed. Of course my appreciation was tempered by listening to NIN alongside skinny puppy, early MTV videos (watching a pig's head rotating on a spit was at one point really transgressive) etc. There were no Hot Topics, and you had to get spikes at a fetish store from a lesbian surrounded by dildos, just like everybody else.

I don't think you'll find a popular 90s era industrial band that's without some "schtick." Industrial is a delicate, cliched flower, and can wither easily in the light of criticism. It's really too easy. It's like if you have blue hair, that shit looks bad ass in a club. But not while you're waiting in line for the bus in the morning going to your minimum-wage job.

I find his disco approach to industrial music terribly cliche. I've got a high tolerance for completely depressing music, suicide-as-theme, and noise, but Trent Reznor sounds closer to Madonna than Whitehouse or Throbbing Gristle or Luigi Russolo or Einst??rzende Neubauten.

It's not really fair to compare first-wave to second-wave industrial/EBM. They're completely different beasts. Sure, whitehouse or throbbing gristle had a raw power to them, but that's where it started and ended for me.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Now I feel bad for requesting a NIN mp3 in the other thread...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    the Saul Williams album he produced just "dropped" today as a free download

Saul Williams is a very great writer, an excellent poet, and interesting performer. But all his musical output is usually pretty uninspired, but I'll look into the album, and see if there's any gems.

I already love the name of the album.

Niggy Tardust

http://niggytardust.com/

- spidey

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Now I'm cast as the Trent-defender... ugh.

Nah, man. I was just trying to get you to post that picture again.

But at least Trent doesn't walk around with makeup on during the day, and has come out from the 90s as a producer. That alone sets him apart from the chaff. What's Ogre up to these days? (I had to wikipedia him, and I found out he "composed two music tracks for the computer game Descent II"... wow)

I am ignorant of Reznor's producing. Is he working for other bands?

Ohgr? I saw him during the Welt tour. Pretty compelling, even without the ring modulator voice.

He is less ridiculous, agreed. Of course my appreciation was tempered by listening to NIN alongside skinny puppy, early MTV videos (watching a pig's head rotating on a spit was at one point really transgressive) etc. There were no Hot Topics, and you had to get spikes at a fetish store from a lesbian surrounded by dildos, just like everybody else.

There's probably part of me, some candlelit throbbing part, that is filled with blue-balled rage over the goth chicks I couldn't make dark entries with, all of whom wore NIN shirts.

I don't think you'll find a popular 90s era industrial band that's without some "schtick." Industrial is a delicate, cliched flower, and can wither easily in the light of criticism. It's really too easy. It's like if you have blue hair, that shit looks bad ass in a club. But not while you're waiting in line for the bus in the morning going to your minimum-wage job.

To that end, it's not unusual to see Gira walking his dog in the east village. While I completely agree with what you've said above, I get a certain joy out of seeing the guy who sang "I can't even elegantly bleed" with a schnauzer. It's easy to laugh, it's easy to hate, it takes guts to scoop pooch dook.

It's not really fair to compare first-wave to second-wave industrial/EBM. They're completely different beasts. Sure, whitehouse or throbbing gristle had a raw power to them, but that's where it started and ended for me.

I am by no means an expert on industrial music, but I think the great bands, the ones who are worth their salt, can live through those waves. Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV made a shit ton of terribly disturbing records. The Swans were great through the '90s (forgiving that Steve Winwood cover--ugh), enduring shifts in sound and major label flirtation and failure. Whitehouse (and later Come) have consistently made bludgeoning noise.

Some of the other post-industrial groups (or, those that didn't make music using sheets of metal and jackhammers and shit) have been consistantly compelling: Laibach (saw them last year, they have their own sovereign state, like with passports and shit?), Coil, Suicide, Skinny Puppy, Chrome, Martin Atkins (his work with ad hoc groups doesn't always yield the best results)...

That is to say, there's plenty of cliche shit (turning into a pandrogynous being, looking ridiculous, music that is emetic, created to induce revulsion) that I completely stand behind, and love. I laugh when I see Reznor or Rob Zombie or Alien Jourgasen exhibit that same type of cliche behavior because I am not convinced, as they are more driven by form or function or persona.

I like music that unsettles me, makes me queasy, and forces me to think about a lot of things. That, to me, is art. I am instantly charmed by a band that are 100% involved in what they are doing, indescribably unique, and dive face-first into their thing. I absolutely love that shit. Trent Reznor doesn't compel me to want to do anything except shut off the stereo (well, that and get naked with goth girls from my high school).

To be clear, I wasn't picking on you. But I wouldn't mind seeing that dog collar picture in this thread.

• the Saul Williams album he produced just "dropped" today as a free download

Saul Williams is a very great writer, an excellent poet, and interesting performer. But all his musical output is usually pretty uninspired, but I'll look into the album, and see if there's any gems.

I already love the name of the album.

Niggy Tardust

http://niggytardust.com/

- spidey
    A friend sent it to me today, even after I told them I wasn't really checking for it. Friend said they liked it, so I listened...

I love Saul (PASUE), but dude cannot rap, and dude especially cannot sing. The music sucked as well.

• "Scoop Pooch Dook"

• There's probably part of me, some candlelit throbbing part, that is filled with blue-balled rage over the goth chicks I couldn't make dark entries with, all of whom wore NIN shirts.