Little Stevie Wonder

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm reading a biography on Stevie right now by John Swenson and its piqued my interest in his early stuff.I'm listening to "The Jazz Soul of Little Stevie" right now and its ok.What else did Motown/Tamla put out under the "Little Stevie Wonder" name?"Tribute To Uncle Ray""The 12-Year Old Genius"?"I Call It Pretty Music" 7"?Fingertips 7"?what is "Johnny Shaft" from? is it a Shaft cover??was "Stevie At The Beach" his first LP as just "Stevie Wonder"?

Comments

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    sounds like that biography isn't too thurough.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm reading a biography on Stevie right now by John Swenson and its piqued my interest in his early stuff.

I'm listening to "The Jazz Soul of Little Stevie" right now and its ok.

What else did Motown/Tamla put out under the "Little Stevie Wonder" name?
    "Tribute To Uncle Ray"
    "The 12-Year Old Genius"
    ?

"I Call It Pretty Music" 7"?
    Fingertips 7"?

what is "Johnny Shaft" from? is it a Shaft cover??

was "Stevie At The Beach" his first LP as just "Stevie Wonder"?

Early Stevie is a singles situation. Look for the 45s there's tons at Plan 9. As far as LPs, Uptight is solid (at the beach stinks), also I will ride for Signed, Sealed. But IMO, he doesn't' start making ALBUMS until Where I'm Coming from. Which BTW is always at your spot for $8 or less.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    sounds like that biography isn't too thurough.
    well, I'm not crazy about the writing, but it seems like it will be a decent introduction to his life.

Its a little confusing because they recorded the Jazz Soul and Tribute to Uncle Ray albums and shelved them. Recorded 12-Year Old Genius -- his live album I think and finally got the hit they were looking for with Fingertips (Live). Then released all 3 I think. But discogs says there are 4 Little Stevie albums (not that discogs is thorough or truth either cause they only list 2).

Early Stevie is a singles situation. Look for the 45s there's tons at Plan 9. As far as LPs, Uptight is solid (at the beach stinks), also I will ride for Signed, Sealed. But IMO, he doesn't' start making ALBUMS until Where I'm Coming from. Which BTW is always at your spot for $8 or less.
    I like Happy Street which is from At The Beach, but haven't heard the rest of it. thanks for the info.

"Uptight" was the only thing I was really feeling from Uptight the album, but I'm definitely interested in hearing the others (Signed & Where...).

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    You need 'Where I'm Coming' From in your life.

They should go ahead and put 'Where I'm Coming From' through 'Hotter Than July' into boxed set called 'Stevie Owns You'.