Mixtape Wed's - Ron G (Mixes #1)

40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
School is back in effect... I'm sure alot of u already know how much of an impact this man had in regards to Hip-Hop & R&B production... Need proof? Check the Uptown Records catalog (Jodeci's & Mary J Blige's debut albums).It can be found here: www.djsoulnyc.blogspot.comPS -The mix was recorded in '91 (years before Z-Trip was mixing "Sweet Home Alabama" and "The Theme from Star Wars" with break beats, Ron G was mixing Phil Collin's "In The Air Tonight" with Biz's "Make The Music" and Janet Jackson "Alright" with Biz's "Something For The Radio").

Comments

• Great idea,

Thanks for this, the last one, and hopefully forthcoming ones. Much appreciated.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    School is back in effect... I'm sure alot of u already know how much of an impact this man had in regards to Hip-Hop & R&B production... Need proof? Check the Uptown Records catalog (Jodeci's & Mary J Blige's debut albums).

It can be found here: www.djsoulnyc.blogspot.com

PS -The mix was recorded in '91 (years before Z-Trip was mixing "Sweet Home Alabama" and "The Theme from Star Wars" with break beats, Ron G was mixing Phil Collin's "In The Air Tonight" with Biz's "Make The Music" and Janet Jackson "Alright" with Biz's "Something For The Radio").

YES

Good looks on this. I've been trying to track his old tapes down for years. You forgot to mention dude was also nice on 3 turntables too! I remember seeing him on t.v. dropping beats underneath "Something in the Way You Make Me Feel". Dude doesn't get the props he deserves. He pretty much started that whole Hip Hop/R&B shit.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I remember seeing him on t.v. dropping beats underneath "Something in the Way You Make Me Feel".

Haha oh shit I just read your blog and saw that video of Kid Capri doing it - doh!. I'm getting old. Ron G rocked on that same episode too I'm almost positive.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is fantastic - thanks! These and the Kid Capri tapes were pretty tough to track down over here back in the day. The ones I had tended to be dubs of dubs of bootleg copies, and I ended up losing most of those down the years. I don't think I ever had this one, though.

On the subject of mixtapes, there was a Biz Markie tape that (I think) TapeKingz put out, which was all classic 80s r&b with Biz singing along over it - Don't Look Any Further, Fools Paradise, Loose Ends, that kinda thing. If anyone happens to have a copy they've digitised, I'd love to hear it.

• Thanks!

"The mixes are called blends... Not mash-ups!"

• This is fantastic - thanks! These and the Kid Capri tapes were pretty tough to track down over here back in the day. The ones I had tended to be dubs of dubs of bootleg copies, and I ended up losing most of those down the years. I don't think I ever had this one, though.

On the subject of mixtapes, there was a Biz Markie tape that (I think) TapeKingz put out, which was all classic 80s r&b with Biz singing along over it - Don't Look Any Further, Fools Paradise, Loose Ends, that kinda thing. If anyone happens to have a copy they've digitised, I'd love to hear it.

The Biz mix is titled 'Theory Of Old School'... I'll get that up soon... I also got tons of Kid Capri mixtapes including 10/9, Vol's 1,2,3 and some of his The Operating Shows from WBLS. I will be posting the infamous 'James Brown' mix that he did on X-Mas day to mark the 1 year anniversary of James Brown passing...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is fantastic - thanks! These and the Kid Capri tapes were pretty tough to track down over here back in the day. The ones I had tended to be dubs of dubs of bootleg copies, and I ended up losing most of those down the years. I don't think I ever had this one, though.

The Biz mix is titled 'Theory Of Old School'... I'll get that up soon... I also got tons of Kid Capri mixtapes including 10/9, Vol's 1,2,3 and some of his The Operating Shows from WBLS. I will be posting the infamous 'James Brown' mix that he did on X-Mas day to mark the 1 year anniversary of James Brown passing...

That's the one - I couldn't remember the title. Bookmarking your blog right now.

That JB mix sounds like it'd be

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Dude doesn't get the props he deserves. He pretty much started that whole Hip Hop/R&B shit.

"Waterbeeeeeeeeeed!"