Non-actor SNL hosts

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
(Idea stolen from The Onion)There are some great ones mentioned in that article--"Waikiki Hockey," Joe Montana's "I'll be in my room masturbating" sketch--but I know there are some other great ones that I'm not remembering. Other ones that cracked me up:Derek Jeter's Taco Hole (AYO?)Deion Sanders' rap group (it was super-stupid, but in a funny way)Charles Barkley (dude is just plain funny, even if not all of the sketches were)Garth Brooks (with "Old French Whore," the fake cowboy sketch, "Who's More Grizzled?" and his unironic introduction of musical guest Chris Gaines, dude was kinda )

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The show with Paul Simon from season 1...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The show with Paul Simon from season 1...

I know! Hardly any comedy at all, just one excruciating Paul Simon song after another. I know that the show was still young and didn't really find it's identity yet, but where the hell did Paul think he was, Midnight Special?

One 1977 episode hosted by a non-actor that turned out unexpectedly well: Ray Charles.

Joe Montana's "I'll be in my room masturbating" sketch

I think I vaguely remember this. What was the setup of that skit again?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    michael jordan on the stewert smally show or....
    shaq getting spanked by tracy morgan!

John Madden hosting in early 80's

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

It was one of those things where we get each character's internal monologue as a voice-over. Phil Hartman has just come home with his date, and they're sharing some chit-chat, while the voiceover reflects what they're really thinking, which is that they wnt to boink each other. Montana is Hartman's roommate, and Hartman introduces him as "the most honest guy you'll ever meet." Montana's voiceover is just a repeat of what he actually says:

Montana: "It's really nice to meet you."
    Montana's Internal Monologue: "It's really nice to meet her."

And so on. So at the end of the sketch, Montana announces that he'll be in his room masturbating, followed by his voiceover saying, "I'll be in my room masturbating." Obviously, it's much funnier to see it than to have it explained.

It was one of those things where we get each character's internal monologue as a voice-over. Phil Hartman has just come home with his date, and they're sharing some chit-chat, while the voiceover reflects what they're really thinking, which is that they wnt to boink each other. Montana is Hartman's roommate, and Hartman introduces him as "the most honest guy you'll ever meet." Montana's voiceover is just a repeat of what he actually says:

Montana: "It's really nice to meet you."
    Montana's Internal Monologue: "It's really nice to meet her."

And so on. So at the end of the sketch, Montana announces that he'll be in his room masturbating, followed by his voiceover saying, "I'll be in my room masturbating." Obviously, it's much funnier to see it than to have it explained.

Yeah, it's coming back to me...I actually remember seeing that bit, but my memories of that skit are vague, I know it involved Montana cockblocking some guy and his girl trying to hook up; I didn't think it was any funnier then than now...I have no idea what Montana's public image is (not a huge football fan), but I dimly recall that most of the jokes on that episode kinda set him up as a total buffoon...

Almost forgot about Rev. Jesse Jackson hosting in the early 80's.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I actually thought Peyton manning was pretty funny in his episode:

• I actually thought Peyton manning was pretty funny in his episode:

This was hilarious!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Caught some of Lebron a couple weeks ago, this skit had me busting up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO9dCxY31Mo