Radiohead In Rainbows Box Set. Who's Buying it?

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So I like the band and have no problem supporting things they do. Especially with this pay what you want of the digital version of In Rainbows. But 40 pounds or $80 (including shipping anywhere in the world) is hard to swallow. But I was thinking, it's a preorder and not a label thing, so it's not like there will be many out there to get after the fact. Not to mention it probably won't be hard to get off your hands if you have buyers remorse. So who's buying it?Who says it's a load of shit?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think it's an alright deal. 40 Pounds gets you.

The CD. The vinyl. A second CD with other new songs, Digital photograph, Artwork & a Lyric booklet.

Plus, you get a download version of the album.

Including postage.

Go into many retailers. Many many box sets go for around that amount.

That said, I won't buy one. I'm not a fan of their music. But I'm betting they sell very well.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i bought it. i'm one of those suckers that would buy radiohead branded toilet paper though. the thing i dislike most about the band is the rabid fanbase. it's like when you realize you are slowly turning into your father or something.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    So I like the band and have no problem supporting things they do. Especially with this pay what you want of the digital version of In Rainbows. But 40 pounds or $80 (including shipping anywhere in the world) is hard to swallow. But I was thinking, it's a preorder and not a label thing, so it's not like there will be many out there to get after the fact. Not to mention it probably won't be hard to get off your hands if you have buyers remorse.

So who's buying it?

Who says it's a load of shit?

I heard they've had 60,000 pre-orders for the box set.

A few people I've spoken to reckon it's over-priced, but in the UK, a couple of non-discounted CDs and a non-discounted double album would come to around ??40 in most stores. Throw in the fancy packaging, booklets, photos, etc., plus the fact that it also includes a (presumably higher-quality) download as well, and it ain't a bad deal. At least they're trying to give you your money's worth. Even though they're making them to order, it could still turn out to be collectable as it's unlikely all that many of them are being bought with the express intention of flipping them on eBay. I could be wrong, but I bet the bulk of them will be from hardcore Radiohead fans who intend to hang onto them.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    So I like the band and have no problem supporting things they do. Especially with this pay what you want of the digital version of In Rainbows. But 40 pounds or $80 (including shipping anywhere in the world) is hard to swallow. But I was thinking, it's a preorder and not a label thing, so it's not like there will be many out there to get after the fact. Not to mention it probably won't be hard to get off your hands if you have buyers remorse.

So who's buying it?

A few people I've spoken to reckon it's over-priced, but in the UK, a couple of non-discounted CDs and a non-discounted double album would come to around ??40 in most stores. Throw in the fancy packaging, booklets, photos, etc., plus the fact that it also includes a (presumably higher-quality) download as well, and it ain't a bad deal. At least they're trying to give you your money's worth. Even though they're making them to order, it could still turn out to be collectable as it's unlikely all that many of them are being bought with the express intention of flipping them on eBay. I could be wrong, but I bet the bulk of them will be from hardcore Radiohead fans who intend to hang onto them.

Where did you hear/read the 60,000 figure?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

So who's buying it?

Where did you hear/read the 60,000 figure?

A friend who knows someone at the label that's putting out the retail CD next year.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    will they be releasing just the vinyl later?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    will they be releasing just the vinyl later?

Doubtful.

• I ordered it.

I think it includes vinyl of the other ten tracks as well.