alterno rock bangers from 90s

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
i never paid this stuff much mind, but the last few years has witnessed me heartily embrace and nod my head to some very well known tracks that, well, i just did not know.can yall recommend more great rock cuts in the same vein. if yall think these are cheesy and played out, thats cool...but i'm just hearing them for the first time.PLAESE TO RECOMMEND ME MORE like:pixies song from fight club "where is my mind"yeah yeah yeahs "gold lion" (from last year i believe)or older...whats up with siouxsie and the banshees?halp

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    ash - goldfinger
    ben lee - pop queen

• i will seek out.

many thank

• jltjlt 8 Posts
    Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
    Dinosaur Jr- wagon, freakscene
    happy mondays- step on, kinky afro
    My bloody valentine - soon (andrew weatherall remix)
    siouxsie & banshees - happy house, hong kong garden, spellbound,cites in dust,slowdive
    Stone Roses - wanna be adored, fools gold,waterfall
    Pulp- mis-shapes, common people
    oasis,blur too

• or older...whats up with siouxsie and the banshees?
    halp

I like some Siouxsie. The side project The Creatures is even better. Stuff by both groups should be easy to come by as well. Budgie does good things with percussion.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Tony,
    I could see you in your eco-house, cooking some health food for the kids, rocking Fugazi top volume. I think you and they have much in common.

Check your PM. I got you some other stuff. . . But here's a list of groups I think you might like, with a key comparing them to groups you're likely more familiar with:

• Breeders (Birtha - breaks and all)
    • Echo & The Bunnymen (If the Mizzell brothers arranged for Elton John with a drum machine)
    • PJ Harvey (English Lotti Golden)
    • Sigur Ros (Linda Perhacs meets Bo Hansson)--other, less popular acts--
    • Black Heart Procession (Pink Mooning Nick Drake, with spooky orchestration)
    • Slint (McNeal & Niles; think Kentucky not Ohio)
    • Judith & Holofernes (Woody Guthrie)
    • Breathless (homosexual Paul Simon)
    • Shannon Wright (you decide)
    • My Dad is Dead (Interpol)
    • Downer Trio (Van Morrison)
    • Drive Like Jehu (Allman Brothers at their noisiest)
    • Gang of Four (Gentle Giant)
    • Grandaddy (Neil Young)

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    PLAESE TO RECOMMEND ME MORE like:

pixies song from fight club "where is my mind"

Most anything engineered/recorded by Steve Albini:
    The Breeders 'Pod'
    Poster Children 'Daisychain Reaction'
    Nirvana 'In Utero'
    The Wedding Present 'Sea Monsters'
    Squirrel Bait 'Squirrel Bait'
    Shellac 'At Action Park'
    Big Black 'Songs About Frickin'' & 'Atomizer'
    Man... Or Astro-Man? 'Project Infinity'

• yeah breeders! i had an old girl who liked cannonballl

thanks yall!

bouche, that "sounds like" list is great! haha
    i do fuck with some gang of four. the red album cover where whitey is ripping off the indian is thorough.

ohhhhhh shit...the shit just opened...anthemic amendments sounds like power of zeus!!! ok, i'm feelin this!!!

• i like this sham shack too

i will get undoubted clown, but i always loved 4 non blondes famous song...you know "yaaa yaaa yaa whats going on" that shit was real heartfelt too me.

when things get a little shouty and punky it starts to lose me a little.not always though. good music is good music

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I celebrate Curve's catalog.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i recently copped "connection" by elastica on wax, i was happy...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Stone Roses

"Begging You" from "The Second Coming" is

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    James "Laid".

Seen people get flat out retarded over this song. I have the LP. Never really got into it though--even though I ride for Eno productions.

LOL at DLJ Allman Bros. reference.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

unfuckwithable, my fave 'modern rock' album by far. one of the best 5 albums of the 90's IMO.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    A song that ALWAYS does it for me: "Break up your band" by Chavez. The video is hilarity, check for it on Youtube.

• Rollerskate Skinny "Shoulder Voices" the most underrated LP of the decade, next level pop music (This is Jimi Shields' band, brother of Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine...and speaking of MBV...)

I would stick with the original releases by My Bloody Valentine, I hate the remixes...I mean I never understood the reasoning behind listening to a song remixed by someone who isnt even remotely as talented and creative as the creator of the original song, but thats just me....

Mercury Rev "Youself is Steam" and "Boces" are genius..but after David Baker was kicked out they turned to crap

Spiritualized...everything through the Live LP (after that it is downhill)

Pre-Creation Telescopes...the LP "Taste" and the EPs(to kill a slow girl walking and 7# Disaster) are awesome, then they signed to Creation and got wimpy...

not club fodder and kinda tough to turn up but Light Bright Highway's LP is phenomenal, think Ash-Ra Tempel if they came from Denton, TX rather than Germany...

Oblivians play 9 songs with Mr. Quintron...the Oblivians best stuff, raw assed garage rock with 60s black gospel moves (for my money better than all the other "celebrated" neo-garage records of the 90s)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

unfuckwithable, my fave 'modern rock' album by far. one of the best 5 albums of the 90's IMO.

pic ain't working here. what is it?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Mercury Rev "Youself is Steam" and "Boces" are genius..but after David Baker was kicked out they turned to crap

Oblivians play 9 songs with Mr. Quintron...the Oblivians best stuff, raw assed garage rock with 60s black gospel moves (for my money better than all the other "celebrated" neo-garage records of the 90s)

[*]Drive Like Jehu (Allman Brothers at their noisiest)

YES to these three.

And The Chrome Cranks, too. This 7 is a favourite - Some Kind of Crime is fire.(sorry for the teeny weeny picture)

There's been some talk of The Gories on the board lately and with reason, you should check them too for that fine Detroit soul garage sound.

• And The Chrome Cranks, too. This 7 is a favourite - Some Kind of Crime is fire.(sorry for the teeny weeny picture)

THANK YOU for saving this otherwise very depressing thread! Chrome Cranks were one of my favorite bands of the 90s - a perfect cocktail of dirty bluesy garage insanity... with great songs to boot. In fact it was their singer Peter Aaron who introduced me to the Vampyros Lesbos club in NYC around 1997-1998. It was then that I met the main Vampyros DJ, DJ Franc O. - now better known to strutters as our man in Conakry: Frank!

I actually talked to Peter last month and he's doing well... despite a harrowing car accident earlier this year:

http://www.chronogram.com/blogs/Crush-This-Horn/show/Rollin-and-Tumblin

• unfuckwithable, my fave 'modern rock' album by far. one of the best 5 albums of the 90's IMO.

pic ain't working here. what is it?

ooPS, sorry! it worked in the preview?!!?
    this one:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

i will get undoubted clown, but i always loved 4 non blondes famous song...you know "yaaa yaaa yaa whats going on" that shit was real heartfelt too me.

when things get a little shouty and punky it starts to lose me a little.not always though. good music is good music

DUDE

• i have been looking for a matthew sweet girlfriend. anyone?

• all y'all sound white.