Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Yo, I just listened to the Super Love Cee & Casanova Rud album for the first time in close to 20 years. Shit is really great but I'm kind of confused about something.The version of "Gets No Deeper" that's on the album is not the version that I remember. I actually have the MP3 of the instrumental of the version I remember (and like.)Was this a 12" version? I thought it was on teh album. Maybe it was on the tape... they used to play the vocal version of this on Philly radio like mad. If anyone has a (high quality) MP3 of the vocal version that would be dope - thans in advance. (Enki, I'm looking at you!)BUT on the real, I wouldn't be mad if this thread turns into an appreciation thread. These dudes were always dope to me. Interesting story too.

Comments

• HamHam 872 Posts

picked up the album a while back. i love it.

Interesting story too.

plaese to tell

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

picked up the album a while back. i love it.

Interesting story too.

plaese to tell

I think it was in one of those articles about Paul Cee, how these dudes were some pretty serious Southside Queens hustlers.

• if no one gets too it I'll track it down later and post it up. Too early to be diggin for wax. It's 7 in the morning here...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

I think it was in one of those articles about Paul Cee, how these dudes were some pretty serious Southside Queens hustlers.

Yeah, they were part of the murder investigation of paul cee's death. But no evidence was found that they were part of it. After that incident they never fully got back to their careers. At least that is what i remember, i might be wrong...

dope crew anyway, i never heard the full album, but i really like the 12"'s...

now who shot paul cee?

?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yo, I just listened to the Super Love Cee & Casanova Rud album for the first time in close to 20 years. Shit is really great but I'm kind of confused about something.

The version of "Gets No Deeper" that's on the album is not the version that I remember. I actually have the MP3 of the instrumental of the version I remember (and like.)

Was this a 12" version?

I think I might have sent you that actually
    It's from the 12" of "Girls I Got Em Locked". That shit gets my HYPE.

• Yeah, I think the version your talking about is on the "girls I got 'em locked EP"

Dudes, would of been some major players in the early 90's rap game had Paul Cee lived!

• the post-paulC "blow up the spot" EP wasnt that great at all, unfortunately

what kind of hustlers were they?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just picked up a clean copy of the LP if anyone is looking to get. PM me.

• at least one Cee and Rud card in each Yo MTV Rap card pack: GUARANTEED.

• the post-paulC "blow up the spot" EP wasnt that great at all, unfortunately

what kind of hustlers were they?

I recall this having a few okay tracks.

BTW, this was in my copy of the Romeo 12". Thought it was a pretty funny pitch:

"mic-wrecking, check collectin pussy inspectin..."!??

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Rusty, Boss Ugly Bob..."

But really, I liked that EP. "Romeo" gets people open.

• true,romeo is dope

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    If anyone has a (high quality) MP3 of the vocal version that would be dope - thans in advance. (Enki, I'm looking at you!)

Is my uppage not working? Lemme know. I need to post the rest of that 12 anyway, methinks.

Anyway, I appreciate the fuck out that Supe & Rud album (and they only made ONE album, OK? That Blow Up the Spot thing? That never happened. It's just a collective nightmare we all share). The ongoing joke is that I simply cannot play a set without playing at least one Supe & Rud track, and when I start bagging on various rappers, my homie always shoots back, "Well, not everybody can sound like Super Lover Cee." To me, Supe is what an MC is supposed to sound like. He wasn't all that spectacular lyrically, but his flow, his delivery, his cadence, the way he used his voice...just perfect. You can straight-up bop your head to a Supe acapella. I love that. Whenever I get a new instrumental I like and want to do a blend with, the first records I reach for are Supe & Rud 12s.

Also, the production on that album? It's amazing how much energy they got out of some fairly basic and sparse beats. Has "Poppa Was Too" ever sounded burlier than it does on "Girls I Got 'Em Locked?" Fuckin' hell.

I hollered at Supe earlier this year, actually, and spoke with him several times about possibly doing a song together. He was into the idea, but when we got down to it, we couldn't really see eye to eye on what the record should sound like, so I don't think it's going to happen. It was damn sure worth a shot, though.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I hollered at Supe earlier this year, actually, and spoke with him several times about possibly doing a song together. He was into the idea, but when we got down to it, we couldn't really see eye to eye on what the record should sound like, so I don't think it's going to happen. It was damn sure worth a shot, though.

That really would be a milestone if you could pull it off one day. I mean that's some "when I was a kid I dreamt of doing a track with..." steez. Don't give it up man!

I was just thinking yesterday that I can't believe I don't have all the 12-inches for that album already. Shameful.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yo, I just listened to the Super Love Cee & Casanova Rud album for the first time in close to 20 years. Shit is really great but I'm kind of confused about something.

The version of "Gets No Deeper" that's on the album is not the version that I remember. I actually have the MP3 of the instrumental of the version I remember (and like.)

Was this a 12" version? I thought it was on teh album. Maybe it was on the tape... they used to play the vocal version of this on Philly radio like mad. If anyone has a (high quality) MP3 of the vocal version that would be dope - thans in advance. (Enki, I'm looking at you!)

A - Side
    I Gotta Good Thing(remix)/Gets No Deeper(remix)*

B-Side
    Gets No Deeper(Bonus Bassline Mix) - fuckin str8 lava
    I Gotta Good Thing(Raw Instramental)*
    Gets No Deeper(Instrmental Club Mix)**
    I Gotta Good Thing(acapella)*
    Gets No Deeper(acapella)**

*Produced Progammed Arranged and Mixed by Paul C
    ** "" '' ''' ''' '''' ''' by Super Lover C & Casanova Rud

one of my favorite a & b side banger 12 in stash.

Classic Album that sits right there w/ ANY "Golden Age" classic.

A "concept" album where SPlvC sticks to one concept thru the hole joint...GIRLS.

• That "i got a good thing rmx" is off the chain as well!!!

Honestly, I can't think of another record with more bang for the buck. Both tracks are banging, the remixes are fuckin' great, and you get instros and acapellas. Now what's fuckin' with that?

That 12 never leaves my crate.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Honestly, I can't think of another record with more bang for the buck. Both tracks are banging, the remixes are fuckin' great, and you get instros and acapellas. Now what's fuckin' with that?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    If anyone has a (high quality) MP3 of the vocal version that would be dope - thans in advance. (Enki, I'm looking at you!)

Is my uppage not working? Lemme know. I need to post the rest of that 12 anyway, methinks.

Anyway, I appreciate the fuck out that Supe & Rud album (and they only made ONE album, OK? That Blow Up the Spot thing? That never happened. It's just a collective nightmare we all share). The ongoing joke is that I simply cannot play a set without playing at least one Supe & Rud track, and when I start bagging on various rappers, my homie always shoots back, "Well, not everybody can sound like Super Lover Cee." To me, Supe is what an MC is supposed to sound like. He wasn't all that spectacular lyrically, but his flow, his delivery, his cadence, the way he used his voice...just perfect. You can straight-up bop your head to a Supe acapella. I love that. Whenever I get a new instrumental I like and want to do a blend with, the first records I reach for are Supe & Rud 12s.

Also, the production on that album? It's amazing how much energy they got out of some fairly basic and sparse beats. Has "Poppa Was Too" ever sounded burlier than it does on "Girls I Got 'Em Locked?" Fuckin' hell.

Sorry I'm late, but these dudes' 1st LP was my joint (I still have my OG vinyl LP and 12"s). I was the only cat around my way (in Fayetteville, NC) ridin' for these dudes. Classic material!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

P.S. I agree, that 2nd joint they put out (the Wildpitch EP) was

• what a gorgeous lp !

cosmo and tony and phil i know yall feel me on this..
    can we get some love for the 1st 2 steady b lps ? let the hustlers play !

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    what a gorgeous lp !

"Bring the Beat Back!!!" Boom, kik, boom, tiiz, kik, boom, boom, kik, boom, kik kik-kik, dooon...

That was my shit, I ride for both the "Bring the Beat Back" and "What's My Name?" LPs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Has "Poppa Was Too" ever sounded burlier than it does on "Girls I Got 'Em Locked?" Fuckin' hell.

I've actually got "Girls I Got Em Locked" on a 45, which I scooped for absolute peanuts at a car-boot sale in South London about 12 years ago. Ever listened real closely to the instrumental of that? Specifically, the way Paul C flips "Papa Was Too"? It's fuckin' astounding - not just the chops or any of that, but the way in which he arranges the kicks, snares and fills across the stereo picture. It's a masterclass in how to engineer drums on a hip-hop record so they're straight punchin' you in the grill with every beat. Many's the time I've contemplated jacking a couple of bars of the drums off that.

• P.S. I agree, that 2nd joint they put out (the Wildpitch EP) was

I know what everyone is saying about the Blow Up The Spot EP but really it's no worse than a lot of stuff from 1993. They were just moving with the times and attempting to keep their music current sounding. If this was an unknown group at the time it wouldn't be hated on so much now, although a lot of that period imho hasn't dated well. It's just such a departure from the style we all love from their 1st LP that it doesn't quite fit with how we want and expect Super Lover Cee & Casanova Rud to sound.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    what a gorgeous lp !

Quick hijack: So I went to my man Tat Money's (surprise) birthday party about a week and a half ago. It was in Philly, totally orchestrated by his wife, and it was crazy. Like maybe 75-85 people, so real intimate, but just ill. In attendance were me and my wife, Mr. & Mrs. Schoolly D, Yvette Money, Lady B, Monie Love, Kwame with Tasha, my man Air Smooth, DJ Wiz, Colby Colb, Gary O, Dana Dane, (the original) DJ Spinbad, Kamal (from the Roots) and more. It was like the CRAZIEST old-school session. Schoolly, Kwame, Dana Dane and Monie all got up and performed haha.

I got (crappy) video so I'll post that shit up in a few.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    what a gorgeous lp !

Quick hijack: So I went to my man Tat Money's (surprise) birthday party about a week and a half ago. It was in Philly, totally orchestrated by his wife, and it was crazy. Like maybe 75-85 people, so real intimate, but just ill. In attendance were me and my wife, Mr. & Mrs. Schoolly D, Yvette Money, Lady B, Monie Love, Kwame with Tasha, my man Air Smooth, DJ Wiz, Colby Colb, Gary O, Dana Dane, (the original) DJ Spinbad, Kamal (from the Roots) and more. It was like the CRAZIEST old-school session. Schoolly, Kwame, Dana Dane and Monie all got up and performed haha.

whoah.

Has "Poppa Was Too" ever sounded burlier than it does on "Girls I Got 'Em Locked?" Fuckin' hell.

I've actually got "Girls I Got Em Locked" on a 45, which I scooped for absolute peanuts at a car-boot sale in South London about 12 years ago. Ever listened real closely to the instrumental of that? Specifically, the way Paul C flips "Papa Was Too"? It's fuckin' astounding - not just the chops or any of that, but the way in which he arranges the kicks, snares and fills across the stereo picture. It's a masterclass in how to engineer drums on a hip-hop record so they're straight punchin' you in the grill with every beat. Many's the time I've contemplated jacking a couple of bars of the drums off that.

Oh hell yeah. While Supe is one of my favorite rappers, obviously, I've also spent plenty of time just listening to the instrumentals. The beats are pretty sparse and simple, for the most part, but they still sound huge--way bigger than the sum of the parts ought to sound. Just phenomenal stuff.

Also, I definitely ride hard for Let the Hustlers Play. Steady's best album, I think. Lots of great beats, and Steady's riding the shit out of them. (That Tat Money party sounds )

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what a gorgeous lp !

pics or it didn't happen

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    tripledouble -- i disagree about 'blow up the spot' being no good.
    ok, there may have been a track that sucked on it, but it was pretty good. 'the life of the party' opening up that ep is hot.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    what a gorgeous lp !

Sounds awesome!