DC - urgent!

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Im going to DC tomorrow.Where's the cool places to check out? Restaurants, recordshops, which museums should I go to, what parts of the city is the coolest etc etcMost importantly. Where's the cheapest place to stay. I dont mind hostel style rooms or dorms.Im only staying for one or two days this time around...Thanks in advance,Dress

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    There are plenty of interesting places to go, although some are spread out from each other. If you are only here for a day or two, keep it simple...
    -Stick to the museums, there are all on the mall, all within walking distance. I think the 'bodies' exhibit is in town still, although it is located elsewhere.
    -Adams Morgen (18th street) and Georgetown (M street) are two areas of concetrated 'cool' areas.
    -Dont forget to hit up Som records on 14th street (same block as the Black Cat).
    -Sorry, I cant help on the hostel situation, Im sure they are around though.

• Thanks for advices. It seems that I got a roof over my head now. Anybody else with recommendations as far as what to see and do please come forward.

Thanks,

Dress

• Thanks for advices. It seems that I got a roof over my head now. Anybody else with recommendations as far as what to see and do please come forward.

Thanks,

Dress

Foodwise, DC has a substantial Ethiopian population, so you might want to try a spot off of U St. (NW) like Dukem. Plus there are a few "famous" food spots like Ben's Chilli Bowl. What kind of foods are you into?

And yeah, swing by Som Records. Good heat with cheap prices.

Thanks,

Dress

For Ethiopian, I would recommend Etete (9th and U). I have probably tried close to ten ethiopian spots, and that is my favorite. Also for food check out Rhumba Cafe (18th street) for latin / carribean tapas, amsterdam falafel (18th street) for bangin falafel, Pepitos Bakery (Columbia Road near 18th) for THE BEST mexican in the city - tacos, tlacoyos, huaraches. All proper and slammin. And real cheap.

For museums, I would recommend the Smithsonian American Art museum and Portrait Gallery (same building). It is newly renovated and has a very diverse collection. It's in China Town. There are also some of the best (although not the cheapest) restaurants in the city around there. Check Jaleo (great spanish tapas), Zaytinya (amazing greek / turkish / mid eastern tapas), and Cafe Atlantico (modern latin). Oyamel (fancy mexican) and Rasika (modern indian) are also there and both great.

The botanical gardens on the mall is also very cool and the national gallery is great too.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Thanks for advices. It seems that I got a roof over my head now. Anybody else with recommendations as far as what to see and do please come forward.

Thanks,

Dress

For Ethiopian, I would recommend Etete (9th and U). I have probably tried close to ten ethiopian spots, and that is my favorite.

Etete is good, but not my favorite. They go much lighter on the spices and butter. I'll take Dukem over Etete any day- more flavor.

• Thanks for the recommendations. I have been to Ethiopia and must say that I wasn't too keen on their food. Too much meat and not enough veggies.

Thanks in advance,

Dress

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Too much meat and not enough veggies.

word? I've have the exact opposite experience at every ethopian place I've ever been to.

• Too much meat and not enough veggies.

I have not been to Ethiopia, but that is not the case in Washington DC. I think I have only had vegetarian meals @ Ethiopian spots.

Thanks,

Dress

Zaytinya (amazing greek / turkish / mid eastern tapas

Super cosign on that place. Excellent tapas!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    yeah, if you're a vegetarian then DC's ethiopian spots are some of your best bets in the area.

there is also a place called Vegetate in DC that is all-veggie, if a little pricey relative to portion sizes. (food is excellent IMO, except for desserts which are sometimes bland).

1414 9th St. NW
    www.vegetatedc.com

• Thanks for the recommendations. I have been to Ethiopia and must say that I wasn't too keen on their food. Too much meat and not enough veggies.

Thanks in advance,

Dress

If you're a Soul Food fan, "Ohhs and Ahhs" usually works magic - 1005 U St. NW, Washington, DC 20001

If you're looking for some good pizza, here are some options in that dept. that I'd recommend:

2 Amys - 3715 Macomb St. NW
    Pizzeria Paradiso - (2 locations) - Dupont Circle 2029 P Street NW, Georgetown
    3282 M Street NW
    Vace - 3315 Connecticut Avenue NW
    Bafetto - (the building looks crappy, yet the pizza is suprisingly good) - right near 18th and Florida, in Adams Morgan

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    -Stick to the museums, there are all on the mall, all within walking distance. I think the 'bodies' exhibit is in town still, although it is located elsewhere.

"all" is a bit misleading. Many of the Smithsonian museums and the National Gallery of Art (not part of the Smithsonian--there's a major Hopper show there definitely worth checking out) are on the mall, but American Art/National Portrait Gallery are a short walk north. The Renwick Gallery is worth a visit for American crafts (that's just west of the White House)
    Also worthwhile and down the street from the Renwick is the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Annie Liebowitz photos of rock stars and Ansel Adams photos of rocks.
    If you have a car and a little ambition, the Philip Johnson-designed Kreeger Museum is a really cool modernist masterpiece with a great collection.

Bodies the Exhibition left Arlington, VA two weeks ago.

Ditto on Neville C.'s Som Records. And don't forget Crooked Beat Records on 18th St. in Adams Morgan.

• Thanks all of you... I will only be visiting for a few days and it seems now that I have than enough to choose from.

By the way the ethiopian food I had in Ethiopia was mainly meat with different spiced sauces and of course the unavoidable injerra to go along. Not many veggies...

We should really make this strutters city guide forum as I think Sheep suggested.

Thanks again,

Dress

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

By the way the ethiopian food I had in Ethiopia was mainly meat with different spiced sauces and of course the unavoidable injerra to go along. Not many veggies...

well injera is hard to avoid in an Ethiopian restaurant, but every one I've been to in any North American city has had veggie options -- at the very least a sampler with curried potatoes, collards, lentils, garbanzos, tomato salad w/ jalapenos, etc.

should also be able to get some veggie sambusas as well.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    We should really make this strutters city guide forum as I think Sheep suggested.

PAGING RAJ! READY WHEN YOU ARE CHAMP!

peace.