999 po'boys worth (giant catfish related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
DUDE Thai Fishermen Reel in 646-Pound FishBy DANIEL LOVERING, Associated Press WriterThu Jun 30, 7:51 AM ETThai fishermen caught a 646-pound catfish believed to have been the world's largest freshwater fish ever recorded, a researcher said Thursday.The 8.9 feet Mekong giant catfish was netted May 1 by villagers in Chiang Khong, a remote district in northern Thailand, and weighed by Thai fisheries department officials, said Zeb Hogan, who leads an international project to locate and study the world's largest freshwater fish species.He confirmed it was the heaviest recorded fish since Thailand started keeping records in 1981."This is the largest individual fish of the species that's listed as the biggest in the Guinness Book of World Records," he told The Associated Press by telephone.The fishermen had hoped to sell the fish to environmental groups, which planned to release it to spawn upriver, but it died before it could be handed over, and was later chopped up and sold in pieces to villagers to be eaten.Hogan, whose work is funded by the World Wildlife Fund and the National Geographic Society, said he is planning to write a paper about the catch to be published in a scientific journal. "That's the best way to document this kind of thing," he said.The Mekong giant catfish ??? which shares the title of largest freshwater fish with a close relative, the dog-eating catfish ??? was listed as endangered in 2003 after research showed its numbers had fallen by at least 80 percent over the past 13 years.Fishermen believe the catfish species has been declining largely because of dams and environmental damage along the Mekong River ??? home to more species of giant fish than any other river, an earlier statement by WWF and National Geographic Society said.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Those things get crazy big even in America. I bet they tase like crap. Their bottom feeders and when they get that big it can't be good for the flavor. But I don't eat meat any how.

One diver I knew in Kansas was hired to check a plugged pipe at the base of a dam. He got down their in the murky ass water and was face to face with a catfish close to that size. Scared the liveing crap out of him!

Another guy in his dingy made the news cuz he just had to let the fish pull him around the lake for an hour or so until it was weak enough he could pull it in. Not that big, but big none the less.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    whoa. fishzilla!

A catfish that big would be really toxic to eat. I'm sure it wouldn't kill you but it could make you really sick.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    whoa. fishzilla!

A catfish that big would be really toxic to eat. I'm sure it wouldn't kill you but it could make you really sick.

really?? because fishzilla died and it says that he was chopped up and sold to villagers to be eaten.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    whoa. fishzilla!

really?? because fishzilla died and it says that he was chopped up and sold to villagers to be eaten.

yeah. like volumen said, they are bottom feeders, so they eat lots of nasty shit. on top of that, the river is polluted, and since they eat other fish that eat other fish that eat polluted shit, it all gets filtered into the fishzilla for years. i'm not knocking the hustle, just saying i wouldn't eat it.

whoa. fishzilla!

I think dude is going out on a limb that some how a big fishy would have more crap in it from the water. But that's all relative the water it was in. Plus, it's not like one person would eat the whole things.

But, it is true that the bigger the thing gets the worse it tastes. I think part of it is cuz it's pretty old to get that big, plus it's all weird muscle and stuff to suppot the weight. It's a similar thing with veggies. When I was farming we called it "getting woody" (huh huh he said woody). Basically it get to a point where it goes form normal yummy veggie to giant monster that tastes like crap.

• Wouldn't that thing be too old to spawn? I mean, it's gotta be 315 years old or something.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Actually catfish is pretty good eating... Its a deep south specialty, riend with collards and a side of ac n cheese with a biscuit??? Fahgetaboudit

Actually catfish is pretty good eating... Its a deep south specialty, riend with collards and a side of ac n cheese with a biscuit??? Fahgetaboudit

Oh it's good eating, but have you ever got a bad one? Lot sof the stuff you eat out is farm fish. So it's pretty uniform and good. We use to catch all ours in the wild and about 1 out of 8 tasted like mud! We caught a load form one spot and they all tased really bad. We got about half way through....finally grampa said this tates like mud and we ordered a pizza.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    like volumen said, they are bottom feeders, so they eat lots of nasty shit. on top of that, the river is polluted, and since they eat other fish that eat other fish that eat polluted shit, it all gets filtered into the fishzilla for years. i'm not knocking the hustle, just saying i wouldn't eat it.

Something about "fishzilla died and it says that he was chopped up and sold to villagers to be eaten" being responded to with " i'm not knocking the hustle" makes me laugh.

"Psshh... I'm not knocking my boy's Alak's hustle, just saying I wouldn't eat it. Anyway yo, check out this new beat I made."

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I think dude is going out on a limb that some how a big fishy would have more crap in it from the water. But that's all relative the water it was in. Plus, it's not like one person would eat the whole things.

But, it is true that the bigger the thing gets the worse it tastes. I think part of it is cuz it's pretty old to get that big, plus it's all weird muscle and stuff to suppot the weight. It's a similar thing with veggies. When I was farming we called it "getting woody" (huh huh he said woody). Basically it get to a point where it goes form normal yummy veggie to giant monster that tastes like crap.
    Actually... bigger fish are always more toxic. Toxins like DDT and Mercury are lipid soluable and get stored in the fishes fat cells. When a big fish eats a smaller one they retain all of the fat soluable toxins without expelling them via waste. So when you've got a fish that big.. we're talking about many generations of funk.
    Thats why pregos arent supposed to eat big fish like shark, swordfish... etc

Actually... bigger fish are always more toxic. Toxins like DDT and Mercury are lipid soluable and get stored in the fishes fat cells. When a big fish eats a smaller one they retain all of the fat soluable toxins without expelling them via waste. So when you've got a fish that big.. we're talking about many generations of funk.

Thats why pregos arent supposed to eat big fish like shark, swordfish... etc

Wow, good thing I get all my info from sciencestrut.com!

I'm amazed at all the little facts I pick up here.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    dog-eating catfish

WHAT?!

dog-eating catfish

WHAT?!

Don't worry, they're just those zombie dogs. The catfish was protecting us!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    zombie dog-eating catfish

• zombie dog-eating catfish

Isn't this the Year of the Zombie Dog-Eating Catfish on the Thai calendar???