Weekend finds

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
It sucks when you write an "essay"-length thread, only to click submit and discover my entry is no longer valid. Which means that I'm not going to see my essay again. Fricka.Anyway, I'll cut the crap and just say I crossed the border 30 minnutes south to Oregon, to head to the town of Hermiston. I went to Goodwill, and this particular Goodwill can be a major crap shoot. One religious record, a still sealed copy of The Believers, made me wonder if this day would be worthy. The copy of the Iron Maiden CD Piece Of Mind had its cover folded in a way so that Eddie would not be shown, perhaps to not offend.But once I saw a Jimmy McGriff album, and a number of Capitol rims, I kept on going. I had hoped to make it out with about $20 worth of albums, but the pile kept on getting bigger and I began to lose track. This is what I made it out with:Badfinger-s/t (Warner Bros.; 1974)The Believers-Get All Excited...Because He Lives! (Doxa; 1974)Louie Bellson-Side Track (Concord Jazz; 1981)Elmer Bernstein-Staccato (soundtrack) (Capitol)Biddu & The Orchestra-Eastern Man (Epic; 1977)The Brass Explosion Orchestra and Chorus-Nineteen Seventy Two's Greatest Hits (Longines Symphonette Society: 1973)The Dave Brubeck Quartet-Time Out (Columbia)Donald Byrd-Takin' Care Of Business (TCB)Jackie Cain & Roy Kral-A Wilder Alias (CTI; 1974)The Serge Chaloff Sextet-Boston Blow-Up! (Capitol; 1955)Ray Charles-A Portrait Of Ray (ABC/Tangerine)Jackie Davis-Jumpin' Jackie (Capitol)Jackie Davis-Big Beat Hammond (Capitol)Bill Doggett-Soft (King)Jackie Gleason-The Now Sound...For Today's Lovers (Capitol)Groove Holmes-Hunk-A-Funk (Groove Merchant; 1975)Jonah Jones/Glen Gray-s/t (Capitol)Henry Mancini-Mancini's Angels (RCA; 1977)Herbie Mann-Memphis Underground (Atlantic, 1969)Shelly Manne & His Men-Checkmate (Contemporary; wrong LP)Jimmy McGriff-Soul Organ (Quintessence Jazz Series/Pickwick; 1978)Wes Montgomery-Goin' Out Of My Head (Verve; 1966)Tony Mottola-Roma Oggi (Project 3; 1968)Red Nichols-Hot Pennies (Capitol)Red Norvo-VIbe-Rations (Liberty; 1956)Johnny Oahu & His Orchestra-Hawaiian Magic (International Award Series)Chico O'Farrill & His Orchestra-Torrid Zone (Columbia)Joe Pass-A Sign Of The Times (World Pacific)Passport-Cross-Collateral (Atco; 1975)Bud Powell-s/t (Quintessence Jazz Series/Pickwick; 1979)Nelson Riddle-Cole Porter's Can-Can (soundtrack) (Capitol)The Howard Roberts Quartet-Whatever's Fair! (Capitol)Howard Roberts-Spinning Wheel (Capitol)David Shire-The Promise (soundtrack) (MCA; 1978)Jimmy Smith-Off The Top (Elektra Musician; 1982)Gabor Szabo & The California Dreamers-Wind Sky and Diamonds (Impulse; 1968)Jack Teagarden-Shades Of Night (Capitol)Richard Tee-Strokin' (Tappan Zee/Columbia; 1979)Johnny Ukulele-s/t (Capitol)Earl Hines//Teddy Wilson/Clark Terry Quintet-Europa Jazz (Europa Jazz; 1982)Various Artists-Great Songs Of Bacharach & David (Quadraphonic) (Capitol Special Markets; 1972)Various Artists-!Wild! Stereo Drums (Capitol)I'll do a full entry for my blog with some audio samples.

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It sucks when you write an "essay"-length thread, only to click submit and discover my entry is no longer valid. Which means that I'm not going to see my essay again.

Just hit the back-button in your browser, copy the text from your "invalid form" (yeah, it's still there), start the post again, paste in the text and you're back in business. No biggie. Same goes for PMs.

If I'm making a long post/PM, I usually just hit I want to preview my post->Continue (= restarting the timer) once every 5 minutes, continue writing, and keep on doing so until I'm done. That the easiest way to circumvent the timeout. Or I just write it in a stickie/random texteditor and paste it in when it's ready.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Found a Jazzy Sensation 12" this morning if anyone needs it, hit me on the PM!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It sucks when you write an "essay"-length thread, only to click submit and discover my entry is no longer valid. Which means that I'm not going to see my essay again.

Just hit the back-button in your browser, copy the text from your "invalid form" (yeah, it's still there), start the post again, paste in the text and you're back in business. No biggie. Same goes for PMs.

Uh, I don't know about everyone else, but when I click "back" in
    this situation my text is gone. Always.

My advice is just to copy the entire text of the post/PM before
    clicking preview or post, then if you get the "invalid" message
    you can just paste the text into a new post.

Uh, I don't know about everyone else, but when I click "back" in
    this situation my text is gone.

Damn, that's a bummer. In my usual browser (Safari) it's always there, so I just assumed that was the general case.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Here's my little story on these babies. I wouldn't have gone to this shop if it weren't for an interview i had with a temp company. On my way back, I stopped by my secret spot and was pleasantly surprised by the wealth of solid soul titles. I came across the Pat Britt, did a triple take on it, recollecting from vague memory that it may be rare. I skipped on it, thinking i've seen covers like this in the past....went back home, googled it, and drove back to the place like a man on a mission. 5 bucks well spent.

Jean Carn "That's all it was" is pretty dope. I'm assuming this is some sort of disco DJ staple? Not mad at the Charles Lloyd mono as well, some great musicianship and great grooves. Pat Britt has its share of snoozer soul-jazz, but there's a couple incredible Placebo-like cuts. That's why even though I am broke, I am not planning on gripping and flipping just yet.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

nice find on the pat britt. like the tune "hermans corner" but find the rest of the record to be dud-ish. used to own a copy but sold it to the sound library for like 20 bucks 4 years ago. kind of a bummer. if only i could see into the future

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    just one...

nice find on the pat britt. like the tune "hermans corner" but find the rest of the record to be dud-ish. used to own a copy but sold it to the sound library for like 20 bucks 4 years ago. kind of a bummer. if only i could see into the future

I like the third cut on the first side very much, more so than Hermans corner I think. That's the one that kinda melted my face.

• Wild Lili?

Wild Lili?

Yea, that seemed like the winner on the first side.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

got these today. Nothing crazy but some cool stuff. Also some decent 45s not listed.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Finally found the vinyl of that Sharon Jones (so good, I don't know why people were complaining about it), Antibalas was on sale (finally), thanks to J*c*b for the trade on Franticdiagnosis, very nice. Ann Peebles comp because I'll be damned if I can find her original LPs down here. Wilson Pickett is solid RCA period stuff from him. Lou Reed was a gift from my girlfriend because she discovered she had a double.

James Brown - I Got You (present for my girl)
    Martha Reeves - Hope I Don't Get My Heart Broke (nice two sider from 71, canadian press aye)
    The Viceroys - Seagrams (nice two sided instrumental)
    Joe Tex - Go Home & Do It (solid one side fast & one ballad)
    Clarence Carter - I'm The One (I love Clarence & this 45 is good both sides)
    Titus Turner - People Sure Act Funny (promo, nice, funky soul)
    Nicole Willis - You Better Change (brilliant)
    Binky Griptite - Mellomatic Mood (ditto)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Fresh kills:

• just one...

Nice find! For trade?

• Fresh kills:

• I just came back from an awesome trip to Cuba. Here's what I found:

As my setup is in storage, I have to wait a couple of days to listen - something that's definitely testing my patience right now.

Cuba =

Cuba =

Damn, I'm sorry I fucked up the meet-up before you went away . My last exam for now is on Thursday, we'll work something out for sure after that!

Glad you had a nice trip. Looking forward to hearing the Cuban press of "The Woman In Red"

• no worries dude! now there's just a lot more stuff to listen to good luck with the exam!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Level 42: Turn it on 12" - never thought I'd ever pick up a Level 42 record...

you should scoop the "love meeting love" 12"
    flavor

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Fresh kills:

I am on fire.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've had a pretty good weekend. Met up with DJ Sheep on some early morning non-booty call shit we hit the record swap at dawn, knocked out a few trades, and ran into other strutters

Big thanks to Einstein For hooking me up with the elusive Axe (Hanukkah came early for me)

and big up to the one DJ Sheep for running through a sleepless night and caffeine filled morning with me

Guzz, looks like you got your modern fix! Nice. Too bad I couldn't link up with yall this morning.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    just one...

Gotdamn!

hope it's in good shape, that's a real hard one to come across...

Whow!

• Where was that spanky wilson, guzz?

I didn't score anything of note in the real world... robert rockwell III "androids" which was nice only because I gave my copy to a friend a month ago.

Some nice mail arrivals tho:

+ a copy of montgomery express that is being returned due to strange pressing defects and an edge chip/crack

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Where was that spanky wilson, guzz?

Mike Vague had 2 copies of the Spanky, one sealed and one not. B*v*n got to it first but was kind enough to pass the opportunity to cop it over to me.

I passed one up years ago at a cheap price and I've been kicking myself for it ever since, I'm glad i finally got it, now I can cross one more grail off the list.

• Mike Vague had 2 copies of the Spanky, one sealed and one not. B*v*n got to it first but was kind enough to pass the opportunity to cop it over to me.

I passed one up years ago at a cheap price and I've been kicking myself for it ever since, I'm glad i finally got it, now I can cross one more grail off the list.

That's a good feeling that I did not attain today.

Next time I'm taking a hint from you and putting a load of records in my trunk to slang in the parking lot to build up funds! I forget people will pay $10-20 for chaff... and I count myself among those buyers as well.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

hope it's in good shape, that's a real hard one to come across...

it's in good enough shape!

also got an ultrasonic cleaner this weekend, it was on our wedding registry...it's for cleaning, uh...jewelry. yeah.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    grabbed some 45s from the santa cruz flea market.
    $1 each
    the rance allen group - if i could make the world better
    rufus thomas - the breakdown
    james brown - my thang
    clarene carter - slip away
    watts 103rd st - do your thing
    coke escovedo - make it sweet
    little beaver - six feet hole
    leon haywood - keep it in the family
    rufus thomas - the dog
    james brown - stoned to the bone
    james brown - there was a time
    the 5 stairsteps - ooh child
    james brown - its a new day
    james brown - the payback
    james brown - i got the feelin

this was an exciting quick trip to cali for the weekend cause there is nooo soul/funk in new mexico. glad to bring some home.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    hit up three garage sales. risked my life at one of them. pulled these though.