THE LAT-TEENS

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I just started thinking about these guys while reading the Fania reissue wants thread, but then I remembered that they were on Cotique. Teenaged Latin bugalu band from the sixties who had three albums (that I know of). Always sang double-entendre songs about marijuana, which is weird considering how clean-cut they looked (amongst the male members, not a longhair in the bunch - this wasn't Flash & the Dynamics). And they had one hell of a rhythm guitar player, whose comping style reminds me of Curtis Mayfield. I have two of their LP's, the self-titled debut and Buena Gente (where the liner notes soberly announce that one of the members had just gotten drafted - hope he made it back okay). Any opinions? Were there any more LP's into the seventies? If not, what did they go on to do?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Buena-Gente" is the only album I've seen from on the reg and I always thought it was a bit mediocre compared to other Latin albums in that era. I'd be curious to hear about their other stuff.

• I honestly don't know anything personal about the group, wish I did.
    Didn't really like "Fuego a la Lata" too much. I've found two empty covers of their first album, yet to have a copy for myself, why must I cry related. Love the second one, "I Remember When (You Loved Me Baby)" is my cut.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Buena-Gente" is the only album I've seen from on the reg and I always thought it was a bit mediocre compared to other Latin albums in that era. I'd be curious to hear about their other stuff.

The Lat-Teens, their first LP, is pretty much in the same vein as the one you just mentioned. I've never heard the third album (which I've seen on CD, just never gotten around to buying). Since they were still teens, as their name indicates, and likely hadn't become set in their ways, I'm wondering if album #3 was any kind of progression from the first two.

I guess because of their youth, this band was all about the backbeat. This is the type of band you play for soul fans who want to get into Latin music, 'cause a band like this seemingly went 50/50 either way.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Their fist album is the best. I still need a copy; I don't see it on eBay very often.

The Lat-Teens - same.zip

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    isnt it the Lah-Teens?

atleast thats what my 45s say

I don't see it on eBay very often.

Your collection is weak.

Your collection is weak.