Funk Band name suggestions!!

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I remember a long time ago there was a thread like this. So, I've been trying to come up with a different name for my band. We used to be a band called "Osobuko". That was alright for a little while, but it sucked always having to explain what it means. (Osobuko is another way to say Osso Bucco which is basically veal shanks which gets its name from the Bone hole. The Idea being the bone is used in cooking throughout many different countrys and the marrow has the flavor.)So, for a few months we've been going under the name "Dopamine Flux". I just don't like the name, and explaining it is a bitch. (Dopamine flux is a medical term meaning the constant change of dopamine in the brain. Something about how the dopamine is associated with the pleasure system of the brain.)I want something simple and easy to remember. Since we're not signed to any label yet. Plus we've only had limited exposure with this name. Maybe a formula sort of like this"The ____________ ______________" ex. The Velvet Underground. My band is a 70's style latin/funk/soul band with a girl singer. We do everything from Brazillian samba to Pink floyd-ish psychedelic stuff. My favorite band names are like, Black SabbathSilver applesFresh Blueberry PancakesOs Brazoes CanFunkadelicGong.Hm.. I don't know what else to say. The name that I chose and was not picked was:The Black SpadesI love the 70's Nyc gang names and the Zulu nation connotations. Cause I'm trying to bring back that pre-hiphop kind of sound. Any help is appreciated.- spidey

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I love the 70's Nyc gang names and the Zulu nation connotations. Cause I'm trying to bring back that pre-hiphop kind of sound.

MARROW[/b]

• bone hole

theres your name right there!

j/k

kinda....

*deleted as its already a band name

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    I love the 70's Nyc gang names and the Zulu nation connotations. Cause I'm trying to bring back that pre-hiphop kind of sound.

MARROW[/b]

MARROW[/b]

"Singin Dancin Jivin"........

• FUNKAPOCALYPSE

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The F-Bombers. When people ask, tell them the "F" is for funk.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

MARROW[/b]

We're completly over that Osobuko band name ready for something new. Something funky?

The Savage planet

The loaded dice

iunno?

- spidey

The F-Bombers. When people ask, tell them the "F" is for funk.

We were honestly this close to being called Liz and the Motherfunkers.

- spidey

Any thing w/ the word Funk in it seems very tired IMO.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I always thought The Young Lords would be a cool name for a retro-soul/funk act, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some band going out under that name already.

Agree. Except Funkadelic. I love that word.

- spidey

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The Savage planet

No.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

But they did it decades before all these glorified jam bands started bringing funky back (or attempting to), so they get a pass.

But they did it decades before all these glorified jam bands started bringing funky back (or attempting to), so they get a pass.

Of course. At this point, dudes should be way past this idea.

I always thought The Young Lords would be a cool name for a retro-soul/funk act, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some band going out under that name already.

And another thing: would you really want to share the same name as a street gang? Even if they no longer exist (BTW, do they?)? Better let sleeping dogs lie with that one, man.

spidey you have any music posted up, would like to hear what you got crackin...
    peace

Not yet we don't hit the studio until probably December. Which is a pain cause it's coming all out of pocket.

I'm sure if you google our name a couple of old shows are around, but I'm not really proud of any of that.

And another thing: would you really want to share the same name as a street gang? Even if they no longer exist (BTW, do they?)? Better let sleeping dogs lie with that one, man.

Yeah, that's pretty much why they all vetoed The Black Spades. Plus all the negative connotation from the word Spade.

- spidey

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Ah, good point.

How about the Coupe De Villes, or some other derivative of a classic 70s ride?

• How about the Coupe De Villes, or some other derivative of a classic 70s ride?

careful

My band is a 70's style Latin/Funk/Soul band with a Female singer. We do everything from Brazillian samba to Pink floyd-ish psychedelic stuff.

"Freebird!!!"

What city /town are you in?

How about the Coupe De Villes, or some other derivative of a classic 70s ride?

That would be a cool name if you were a roots-rock band, playing rockabilly or garage or some other retro style, but me personally, I can't feature it for an Afro-funk band.

Vegas.

- spidey

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    80 Blocks From Tiffanys

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Vegas.

- spidey

Neon Deon & the Five Card Studs

Not sure if the first two are in bad taste or not:

The Westside Wonders
    The Westside Revue

The Desert Diamonds

The Dynamites

"How yall doin tonight" "Glad to be here" "Were called.....

80 Blocks From Tiffanys

• I've been up all night for the past couple nights so here's some that sound sweet in my hallucinogenic state:

"Darkness"
    "Hay Wire" (my favorite slot machine)
    "Bandana"
    "The Touch"
    "Achilles Ten"
    "The Pawn Shop Revival (PSR)"

"The Master Blends"