Grace Jones

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Am I digging some of it just because I like Sly and Robbie or does she have any real talent other than shock value? I mean, she is photogenic, but does she bring anything musical to the table? Were the songs her ideas or not? Please to drop Knowledge.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    She's Frickin' great.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    ???NO MAN CAN RESIST THIS PUSSY!???

Grace Jones is great. I grew up with her records thru my parents. I like the Sly'n'Robbie produced records the best. Haven't heard the early Tom Moulton-related LPs in a loooong time, and I honestly can't remember them.

"Private Life" 12" is up next on the platter.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    "Private Life" is my pick of her work.

I didn't know until recently that this was a cover of the Chrissy Hynde/Pretenders og. All my reggae drumming "efforts" are based on this. Just so right. I have other Sly/Robbie stuff, "Language Barrier" and the like, but the songs aren't as strong.

IIRC she has been around since the Warhol/Blondie/Studio54 days were at their peak. No knowledge of her music from this time though. I am guessing it was kind of Emperor's New Clothes syndrome?

does she have any real talent other than shock value? I mean, she is photogenic, but does she bring anything musical to the table? Were the songs her ideas or not?

Well I think you can be pretty sure that she was not a "puppet" in the hands of producers and stylists. I think she is one of those artists that are talented and visionary, but needs top-notch partners to make the best of the talent and to bring the visions to life. Throughout her career she collaborated with the top dogs in the music biz (Tom Moulton, Sly'n'Robbie, Trevor Horn, Nile Rodgers) and fashion/art world ( Jean-Paul Goude, Andy Warhol, Richard Bernstein, Keith Haring a.o.). If she hadn't worked with the best, I'm not sure she would have had as big an impact, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a unique musical talent. For instance, all conceptual hooplah aside, I love her singing voice.

I tend to think of artists like Missy in the same way. In fact I think it's safe to assume that Grace Jones has been an influence on Missy, Peaches and the likes.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    does she have any real talent other than shock value? I mean, she is photogenic, but does she bring anything musical to the table? Were the songs her ideas or not?

Well I think you can be pretty sure that she was not a "puppet" in the hands of producers and stylists. I think she is one of those artists that are talented and visionary, but needs top-notch partners to make the best of the talent and to bring the visions to life. Throughout her career she collaborated with the top dogs in the music biz (Tom Moulton, Sly'n'Robbie, Trevor Horn, Nile Rodgers) and fashion/art world ( Jean-Paul Goude, Andy Warhol, Richard Bernstein, Keith Haring a.o.). If she hadn't worked with the best, I'm not sure she would have had as big an impact, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have a unique musical talent. For instance, all conceptual hooplah aside, I love her singing voice.

I tend to think of artists like Missy in the same way. In fact I think it's safe to assume that Grace Jones has been an influence on Missy, Peaches and the likes.

Tom Moulton mix of 'La'Vi En Rose' is SO great....I love that song, and I bump 'Pull Up To The Bumper' whenever I have the chance. That song grooves straight through the floor.

I think Jones has more charisma and star power than musical genius, butthat's actually saying a lot since I think her musical abilities are pretty formidable. Grace Jones is a true talent in my book.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think Jones has more charisma and star power than musical genius, butthat's actually saying a lot since I think her musical abilities are pretty formidable.

Grace Jones is pure ATTITUDE.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    The Compass Point Sessions are essential. I listen to them at work all day long.

I play a lot of Grace in my DJ sets too. My Jamaican Guy, Private Life, Pull Up To My Bumper are all staples for me.

BTW Anyone ever hear the unreleased dub of "Warm Leatherette" by Larry Levan and Francois K? DEADLY!!! I heard FK play it at his night at Cielo once, and that shit was SERIOUS!!! OMG pure Paradise Garage bliss.

NightClubbing is str8 thu heat - top to bottom.

Feel Up for that dancefloor shit.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I fear you are unfamiliar with this soulstrut classic thread.

My homie got dome from Grace Jones

I fear you are unfamiliar with this soulstrut classic thread.

"I WAS THERE"

• I fear you are unfamiliar with this soulstrut classic thread.

great thread...let's bump that one.

• her leatherette is tepid.

"Do any of you sissy-boys even party?"[/b]

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I play a lot of Grace in my DJ sets too. My Jamaican Guy, Private Life, Pull Up To My Bumper are all staples for me.

Also, "Nipple To the Bottle."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ???NO MAN CAN RESIST THIS PUSSY!???

i could ('specially after seeing her in the movie Boomerang)

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    werd certified classic

i have a huge soft spot for Slave to the Rhythm too