X "Los Angeles"

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
this LP is fucking me up right now...good god whatta record...whatta a band

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Isn't Jon Doe married to Mariska Hargitay? Power couple right there.

And yes, this LP is all that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    this LP is fucking me up right now...good god whatta record...whatta a band

hell yes. That and Wild Gift are a one-two punch of seriously good rock and roll.
    Appreciated!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Word. Saw X live at the Moore Theater here in Seattle in 1986. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Original lineup) opened. X were great. Now THAT was a dope show.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Am I the only 30-something ex-punker that thinks this band was WAAAAY overrated?*

*Nope - my wife recently bought their 2CD greatest hits thinking she still liked them, but ended up having me trade it in for credit about 2 weeks later. That's my girl.

• Still love X. 'The Have Nots" is a fave...

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Am I the only 30-something ex-punker that thinks this band was WAAAAY overrated?

You might be the only 30-something that thinks that, but this 20-something ex-punker agrees with you.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    come on, they probably had the best lyrics of any punk band, shit any band for that matter...the strange fucked up harmonies of John and Exene, Billy Zoom was a motherfucker of a guitar player(he played with Gene Vincent in his last days for fuck's sake, no other punk guitar player can claim that honor, and a very precious few had the talent to do so)...not overrated at all IMO.

• Am I the only 30-something ex-punker that thinks this band was WAAAAY overrated?*

I saw them when Ain't Love Grand was out. I wasn't too impressed. Los Angles is definitely there best record though.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    come on, they probably had the best lyrics of any punk band, shit any band for that matter...the strange fucked up harmonies of John and Exene, Billy Zoom was a motherfucker of a guitar player(he played with Gene Vincent in his last days for fuck's sake, not many punk guitar players can claim that honor)...not overrated at all IMO.

I will admit that on paper the combo should not work at all, but the actual chemistry of the original 4 makes for an exciting band with a sound that was wholly their own. Good songs added to the mix and it's a winner. I would not call them overrated only because I really don't see them as being widely heralded. Maybe I am outta touch, but I don't see current bands going on and on about X like you do with bands like the Ramones, Stooges, MC5, et al. I see X as the big "almost-was" of the 80s.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Always liked Wild Gift a lot more. Exene has a slur similar to southern rappers. Adult boooooooooooks

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Am I the only 30-something ex-punker that thinks this band was WAAAAY overrated?

You might be the only 30-something that thinks that, but this 20-something ex-punker agrees with you.

first two X records are great. I wouldn't call it punk though.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i think they are overrated but i like some of their songs. haha, john doe was in that SWAYZE-vehicle 'Roadhouse'. exene was married to hidalgo aka aragorn

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Yep, yep...Their version of 'Soul Kitchen' is a favorite of mine. They have a live concert DVD I have to catch, but they also perform their title track in the opening of The Mayor Of The Sunset Strip (documentary about famed L.A. DJ, Rodney Bingenheimer)

• loudwizardloudwizard 358 Posts
    The Unheard Music is a nice dvd with early footage of the band,
    plus lots of rapid edit footage of bombs, Ronald Reagan,
    and all the other images that shout 80's hardcore.

DJ Bonebrake is that dude.
    there's one scene that he taps out some poly-rhythm
    that's all

p.s. add DJ Bonebrake to list of favorite non-existent SS posters.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I saw em in some suburban dive bar in Atlanta in 1981 or so and they fucking rocked it. I don't their recorded output lived up to their live shows.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i am not an ex-punker. but i found this album at the goodwill a few months back and wasnt impressed so i gave it away and the dude was so happy.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    Johnny hit and run Pauline

.....These dudes might be a little overrated and they certainly veared to the wrong side of pretentious from time to time, but that one song alone makes them more than alright in my book.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i think they are overrated but i like some of their songs. haha, john doe was in that SWAYZE-vehicle 'Roadhouse'. exene was married to hidalgo aka aragorn
    X are awesome, I like all the first 4 records. Also, don't forget John Doe was the father character on that TV show Roswell.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    X are awesome, I like all the first 4 records. Also, don't forget John Doe was the father character on that TV show Roswell.

Also a main character in Roadside Prophets. That was a good movie.

X never really got me too excited. I think they were great live when your in a small bar drinking. But I agree that they never got pumped up enough to be over rated.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    just saw john doe perform in my local indie record store(fingerprints). nice fellow. stein.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    X is one of the great under appreciated/over rated bands of all times. Saw the OG lineup at the BellyUp in Solano Beach during their "Unclogged" tour. In the second or third encore after all of the acoustic stuff they belted out a super rockin' version of "Los Angeles". Perhapes one of my favorite rock 'n roll memories.