Want more Nigerian Disco?

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I didn't get much of a reaction on the Lagos Disco Inferno mix that was also posted here on the strut. I'm still in Benin at the moment and digging up more and lore Disco and Boogie stuff along with the usual Funk and Afrobeat.Once I get back to Conakry in about a week or so, I'll start on new mixes right away. What is you opinion on the African Disco stuff? I know that I used to be a strong hater of all things Disco but this stuff really grew on me...What's your opinion? Too cheesy? You'd rather prefer more "straight" Afrobeat?Damn, it would be a good thing to do a poll on this but I can't figure out how to do this... my internet skills really are a bit too basic sometimes...

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I've definitely been digging all of the mixes you've posted, but I usually download off your blog, and occasionally leave comments there.
    As for the disco, yeah it does get a bit cheesy after about 20 minutes, but it is endearing and enjoyable.
    Thanks for all the work you put in, I know everyone appreciates it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I thought it was real good but not on par with the other stuff you've been digging up. Still, nearly all of it is new and exciting to my ears and it's all really solid music - no one is digging up the kind of stuff you are in that kind of quantity and letting others hear it.

I'll be real excited when you get back to the states and put together a real mix of the best of all the finds.

• Hi Frank!

Thanks for the fantastic mix. I sent this to my friend Dayo who grew up in Lagos, he really enjoyed it, as did i. Here is his review >

"Checked this mix out this morning. Thanks for the heads up, Beats. Brilliant. I only knew a few (the ones in asterix):

*00:00: Christiana Essien - black ladies are funky ladies (yet more funk magic from Christy Essien-Igbokwe. Marva Whitney-esque. I hear on the vine that Christy Essien might be making a comeback).

04:40: Grotto 2 -bad city girl

*10:12: Ofege -check it out (massive band in Nigeria in the early to mid 70s. Their big hit is/was "Wizzi Labo". Proper Jazzfunk ahead of it's time)

14:05 C.S. Crew -bread power

19:00 The Celebrant -off beats

25:55 Yom-Yem -power to the people

31:00 Fotso Simo -mummy

35:00 Success -sugar daddy

41:13 J.M. Tim & Foty -my funky boogie

44:27 Tom Youms -close to me

*49:12 Kris Okotje - 'am going now (good to hear this one again. Kris was a massive star in Nigeria in the 70/80s. He is now a politician).

*54:15 Ozo -anambra (an ALL-OUT Ross Allen classic. I remember him starting WW with this track a few years ago. BIG MUSIC - and very tricky to find in original format).

--Track of the mix: Success - sugar daddy (Dont know where i was when this was doing the rounds in Nigeria. Love the way it uses The Beegees' "Nightfever". I need it!!!)."

peace and keep em coming.

nick

ps copied from "our" forum over here.

http://brownswood.5.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=15032

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I thought it was real good but not on par with the other stuff you've been digging up. Still, nearly all of it is new and exciting to my ears and it's all really solid music - no one is digging up the kind of stuff you are in that kind of quantity and letting others hear it.[/b]

these i pretty much my thoughts i loved the begining but some of the last tracks were long..although i understand where you coming from...and that sound is growing on me

I dont know but maybe if you formated the disco mix into more of a disco mix..more breaks and faster edits..it would work better

its hard since all your other mixes are so..deep..or pure afro-beat
    I really enjoy all of them however and hope I am voicing my opinion in a constructive fashion

btw i will ned to contact you about vampisoul/soundway conatcts we are having a big meeting here at casa africa so i will have some fresh news

once more thanks you and all the best in your digs

ps:you are helping out our music library in a major way

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Yes.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I meant to listen to this.. but i HATE streaming mixes... post the mp3 and you will get sum love

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I meant to listen to this.. but i HATE streaming mixes... post the mp3 and you will get sum love

bro download it on his blog

• Frank the boogie/disco stuff is great. In the last couple of years I've been gravitating more towards this sound than the usual funk/afro beat stuff. And in Nigerian they were making boogie stuff almost untill the 90's it seems. Listen to those obafunkie jr mixes if your wondering what's "known" and what's not. But I guess I'm trying to say- yes please- more african disco. It's not that I dont appreciate the other ones it's just nice to see the disco getting some shine too. If you run across extras of the alex o- gettin loose lp, it's been on my wantlist for a long ass time and deserves some spins.

• Some of the disco boogie stuff is amazing. I like a bit of a variety. If it was just Fela inspired songs then that would become boring. Keep up the good work, Frank!

Are you getting into hiplife as well?

Peace,

Dress

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Ever seen this in the field Frank? I wanna know why it gets the big $$:

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Ever seen this in the field Frank? I wanna know why it gets the big $$:

Been wondering that one myself... from what I've heard it's

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Yes.

Your mixes are always great, and I personally like the variety. And to be honest my favorite mix so far was probably your first "conventional" African mix, beautiful.

As always, thanks for sharing.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    We need more!
    p.s. Is it true that people in ivory coast are holding quite a few of Africa's records out of sheer appreciation for all musical styles in africa regardless of the nation of origin? Somethin like Wolof only bump Wolof music, but the ivory coast really appreciated African music all-around the continent? I picked this info from a relatively unknown grapevine, I could be very wrong.

these i pretty much my thoughts i loved the begining but some of the last tracks were long..although i understand where you coming from...and that sound is growing on me

I dont know but maybe if you formated the disco mix into more of a disco mix..more breaks and faster edits..it would work better

got the download on...

im the OPPOSITE for disco mixes I hate quick mixes..i want blends and the more extended the better.

this mix is nice...sounds like solid straight afro funk to me.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Hey thanx a lot for the thumbs up (for the most part...) I probably wouldn't have cared much about the Disco stuff myself a few years back...

This one I've never seen in the field... at least not knowingly. It's very scary looking and I might have actually passed on it on some occasion.

I guess I'll definitively do another Disco mix then, alongside a rough Afro Funk / Afrobeat one. Just today, I've been picking up crazy stuff... a second SJOB Movement LP from '78. A Poly Rythmo 45 called "Soul Papillon" that I've never seen before and some other stuff that I'm very excited about... some of them are so dirty though that it's hard to tell if they will clean up or are actually scratched...

Due to a too small sized sink in my hotel room, I've been developing this slightly disturbing habit to take really dirt-caked records into the shower with me and rinse them while I also wash all the dust and grime off myself.

No, I won't post any pictures!

ok the falsetto's have started bustin out... now i hear the disco..

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    We need more!
    p.s. Is it true that people in ivory coast are holding quite a few of Africa's records out of sheer appreciation for all musical styles in africa regardless of the nation of origin? Somethin like Wolof only bump Wolof music, but the ivory coast really appreciated African music all-around the continent? I picked this info from a relatively unknown grapevine, I could be very wrong.

Since Ivory Coast has been for a long time, the most prosperous country in West Africa, I could see that a lot of people from other African countries moved there along with there records.

Regardless where I've been so far, the most numerous records will be stuff from Kongo/Zaire. Then comes Nigerian JuJu and Highlife. In Sierra Leone you will find a surprisingly large amount of Country music. Boney M you will find everywhere. Scratched up LPs from Rail Band de Bamako are also very frequent wherever I go.
    Strongest percentage of local release has by far Benin. Nigeria probaly at least as many but I've so far been too much of a chicken to go to Lagos and sending people over there from Benin to buy up stuff instead...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    How about Angola? I just watched Hollow City, and the community looked very poor, but it did look a bit like a proper city.

It sounds like they were listening to Bonga Kuenda and Manu Dibango type stuff.

- spidey

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    actually i enjoyed the disco flavored mix just as much as the others. though my afro knowledge is virtually nil, so to my ears its all fresh. Thanks again for doing what you do, youre a true hero of the game.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    How about Angola? I just watched Hollow City, and the community looked very poor, but it did look a bit like a proper city.

It sounds like they were listening to Bonga Kuenda and Manu Dibango type stuff.

- spidey

My guess is that Angola was mostly influenced by the typical Congolese stuff and I'm also not the biggest fan of most things from Cameroon... but who knows... there light be some interesting local stuff... sadly, even civil wars destroy way more vinyl than the very record unfriendly weather around her (either unimaginably tense rainfall for weeks or drought with dust and sand entering everything, including record sleeves).

From what I heard, Angola is also the most expensive African country if you want to eat and live halfway risk free.

The oil boom has created such a deep divide between rich and poor that as a foreigner, living on a budget would mean to stay in very unattractive places and eat risky food. Don't get me wrong, I'm down for almost any kind of street food and I don't depend on air conditioned hotels but after a hard day of tropical digging, you really want a working shower, a toilet with a seat and food that won't have you clenching our buttocks all through the next day and I'm just not willing to pay Tokyo prices either...

Maybe I'm missing out... why don't one of you guys fly over there and give it a try!

• Frank, pardon my ignorance, but whats the url for your blog? and to answer your question, yes! your two most recent mixes are in constant rotation over here

also, if everything wasn't lost in the war, I'm guessing there could be some Cuban records to be found somewhere in Angola, seeing as 100,000+ Cuban troops have been stationed there.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Frank, pardon my ignorance, but whats the url for your blog? and to answer your question, yes! your two most recent mixes are in constant rotation over here

also, if everything wasn't lost in the war, I'm guessing there could be some Cuban records to be found somewhere in Angola, seeing as 100,000+ Cuban troops have been stationed there.

http://www.voodoofunk.com

There's lots of Cuban stuff all over West Africa especially those countries who had a communist regime for a while. There's even Cuban restaurant in Conakry... I like Cuban influenced African stuff but have really no clue what Cuban stuff is concerned. It also seems like it's always the same 20-30 Cuban records I come across. Like you won't have much luck digging for rare Funk 45s in Frankfurt even though plenty of US troops were stationed there for a very long time...

• thanks for the link (and schooling on Cuban music in WA )! mass download in progress.. I know what I'll be listening to on my way to school tomorrow!