"true hip-hop"

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
As I keep a somewhat-reluctant eye on what the Austin Chronicle has been doing with their rap coverage since I left...no mention whatsoever of Big Moe's passing gets the gasface...I see that they're veering away from local Texas-raised rap in favor of a more generic model. 5 brief reviews in, and the new dude has already pulled the "true hip-hop" card...
9th WonderThe Dream Merchant, Vol. 2 (6 Hole)Proving that beats matter as much as what rappers spit, 9th Wonder's solo debut plays out like the work of his teachers. Cutting away from Little Brother in January, the North Carolina native channels past masters Pete Rock and DJ Premier, sampling Motown, settling into feel-good grooves, and bringing in an ample supporting cast to handle the mic (Mos Def, Saigon, Jean Grae, Royce da 5'9"). Their words serve as backdrop for the production 9th cooks up, Dream Merchant flowing with beat after head-banging beat of the grimy ("Let It Bang"), soulful ("Saved"), and the classic ("Reminisce") sounds of true hip-hop. Then there's the Primo-inspired "Brooklyn in My Mind," a track so hot that even the featured Memphis Bleek sounds like a wordsmith. Lessons learned, the world's 9th Wonder has come into his own.****
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/review?oid=oid%3A554221

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    We don't always agree on everything but I fully feel you on this. I wouldn't (and you shouldn't) take it personal, because people who know KNOW, you know?

But more importantly,

no mention whatsoever of Big Moe's passing gets the gasface...

in a HUGE way.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    We don't always agree on everything but I fully feel you on this. I wouldn't (and you shouldn't) take it personal, because people who know KNOW, you know?

But more importantly,

no mention whatsoever of Big Moe's passing gets the gasface...

in a HUGE way.

Yeah, at least we did it big while we had the chance...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    somewhat-reluctant

While I agree with your larger points, let's be serious, if only for a moment: there is nothing even somewhat "reluctant" about your compulsion to read your successor's writing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    9th Wonder
    The Dream Merchant, Vol. 2 (6 Hole)
    Proving that beats matter as much as what rappers spit, 9th Wonder's solo debut plays out like the work of his teachers. Cutting away from Little Brother in January, the North Carolina native channels past masters Pete Rock and DJ Premier, sampling Motown, settling into feel-good grooves, and bringing in an ample supporting cast to handle the mic (Mos Def, Saigon, Jean Grae, Royce da 5'9"). Their words serve as backdrop for the production 9th cooks up, Dream Merchant flowing with beat after head-banging beat of the grimy ("Let It Bang"), soulful ("Saved"), and the classic ("Reminisce") sounds of true hip-hop. Then there's the Primo-inspired "Brooklyn in My Mind," a track so hot that even the featured Memphis Bleek sounds like a wordsmith. Lessons learned, the world's 9th Wonder has come into his own.

Stuck in "The Golden Era"...........

somewhat-reluctant

While I agree with your larger points, let's be serious, if only for a moment: there is nothing even somewhat "reluctant" about your compulsion to read your successor's writing.

First and foremost, it comes from me quietly pulling for him to lend coverage to releases by Black Mike (nope), VIP (nope), UGK (yep), Chingo Bling (nope), Chamillionaire (yep), Trae (hopefully), etc.

But now that I see that his heart pumps caramel, I'm not so sure I want him to tinge any coverage he does give to said type of music with not-so-underlying intentions of subordinating it to the gaud's of Scion-hop.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    his heart pumps caramel

I've never heard this phrase before, but I like it.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This is definitely going in my top 10 list of shitty album covers of the year:

IMG SRC=http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/91a8/music_phases12.jpg>

Wowzers.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Wowzers.

its no ladybug

but those speaker greekcolumns

easily could have been left out

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Wowzers.

Why do all the "true hip hop" artists have the worst taste in cover design?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    9th Wonder
    Proving that beats matter as much as what rappers spit, 9th Wonder's solo debut plays out like the work of his teachers. Cutting away from Little Brother in January, the North Carolina native channels past masters Pete Rock and DJ Premier, sampling Motown, settling into feel-good grooves, and bringing in an ample supporting cast to handle the mic (Mos Def, Saigon, Jean Grae, Royce da 5'9"). Their words serve as backdrop for the production 9th cooks up, Dream Merchant flowing with beat after head-banging beat of the grimy ("Let It Bang"), soulful ("Saved"), and the classic ("Reminisce") sounds of true hip-hop. Then there's the Primo-inspired "Brooklyn in My Mind," a track so hot that even the featured Memphis Bleek sounds like a wordsmith. Lessons learned, the world's 9th Wonder has come into his own.

This is partly why I had to stop writing reviews- they all end up sounding cornball, even good writers fall into the same format, I hate reading reviews and I hated writing reviews- I'd rather write academic lit reviews (kinda).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/kjoi99/icon_yikes.gif" alt="" />

• This is definitely going in my top 10 list of shitty album covers of the year:

Wowzers.

Why do all the "true hip hop" artists have the worst taste in cover design?

to reflect their musical endeavors?

This was in the Recommended section...

Rockit 7
    Club de Ville, Friday, Oct 26

Afrika BambaataaPioneering DJ and hip-hop icon Afrika Bambaataa invades the already otherworldly hip-hop circus that???s been dubbed Rockit 7: World Destruction. The Zulu Nation founder known for electro-funk masterpieces like ???Planet Rock??? will be flanked by DJs Manny and Bigface, ATX Latin funk ensemble Brownout, video DJs, fire dancers, and an interplanetary B-girl dance troupe in a battle to save Earth from brainwashed commercial hip-hop-jiving zombies. ??? Thomas Fawcett

Yes, that's right...when "Planet Rock" went big worldwide, Bambaataa started thinking of himself as a leader of "commercial hip-hop-jiving zombies".

Yes, that's right..a hip-hop dinosaur who hasn't been part of a relevant song in over 20 years is touching down in Texas just to show us lost local savages how it's really done.

Yes, that's right...rap is something you do, hip-hop is something you live.

his heart pumps caramel

I've never heard this phrase before, but I like it.

Heart of a Milk Dud-related.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Rockit 7

Afrika BambaataaPioneering DJ and hip-hop icon Afrika Bambaataa invades the already otherworldly hip-hop circus that???s been dubbed Rockit 7: World Destruction. The Zulu Nation founder known for electro-funk masterpieces like ???Planet Rock??? will be flanked by DJs Manny and Bigface, ATX Latin funk ensemble Brownout, video DJs, fire dancers, and an interplanetary B-girl dance troupe in a battle to save Earth from brainwashed commercial hip-hop-jiving zombies. ??? Thomas Fawcett

Yes, that's right...when "Planet Rock" went big worldwide, Bambaataa started thinking of himself as a leader of "commercial hip-hop-jiving zombies".

Yes, that's right..a hip-hop dinosaur who hasn't been part of a relevant song in over 20 years is touching down in Texas just to show us lost local savages how it's really done.

You should be mad at Thomas Fawcett for writing that tripe, dude.

Rockit 7

Not mad, just annoyed.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Rockit 7

Not mad, just annoyed.

fire dancers? yo...

jiving? word?

but isn't this saying that he is fighting against the commercialized hip hop jiving zombies?

and why do you feel thats a jab at you and your tx brethren?

bambaataa live is something to behold. granted he plays with sirotto and plays a premixed bag of party standards (and you'll hear "think" more times than should be allowed) and maybe i'm biased because i had a cutie wrapped around me last time i saw him, but still, i loved seeing him rock a party. he's actually playing here on saturday and i will be there after my set...

and 9th wonder is waaaaaaaaay overated.

Rockit 7

Not mad, just annoyed.

fire dancers? yo...

jiving? word?

but isn't this saying that he is fighting against the commercialized hip hop jiving zombies?

bambaataa live is something to behold. granted he plays with sirotto and plays a premixed bag of party standards (and you'll hear "think" more times than should be allowed) and maybe i'm biased because i had a cutie wrapped around me last time i saw him, but still, i loved seeing him rock a party. he's actually playing here on saturday and i will be there after my set...

Some of y'all might not be reading me right as my initial Bambaataa-related post was 100% sarcasm.

Bambaataa is definitely a hero to me and I'll be swinging through to check him out tomorrow night.

I just don't appreciate the use of a unifying figure such as Bam as a window to slip in yet another shot at the supposedly "brainwashed" core rap audience.

gotchya

• Options
    The Zulu Nation founder known for electro-funk masterpieces like ???Planet Rock??? will be flanked by DJs Manny and Bigface

Carpetbageurs. Don't they have a game that night?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    maybe i shouldnt even type this because i dont really care enough to comment
    but why would you be mad if a reviewer decides to review somethin that is not texas related
    if i was a reviewer out here in miami i would not be reviewing all the bullshit that comes from out of this city's horrible music scene let alone other florida rap releases.
    you ride a little too hard for texas. its not even funny

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    but why would you be mad if a reviewer decides to review somethin that is not texas related
    if i was a reviewer out here in miami i would not be reviewing all the bullshit that comes from out of this city's horrible music scene let alone other florida rap releases.

I got hip-no-tized by your avatar. What were you saying?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think it would be considered responsible music journalism to write reviews on any important locally released albums or anything that's under the radar but good. that's just me though

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I got hip-no-tized by your avatar. What were you saying?
    saying

It's not that he just chose to review a non-TX cd. It's that he can't help himself himself from taking potshots at the predominant local style as he's reviewing a non-TX cd.

As far as riding too hard for Texas...there's no such thing.

• This was in the Recommended section...

Rockit 7

Not mad, just annoyed.

fire dancers? yo...

jiving? word?

You must have seen a different Bambaataa than I saw back in the 90's. That shit sucked. A bunch of drum n bass & techno bullshit. Maybe he was playing the cream of the crop drum n bass and techno and I am just "disconnected"..but I went to see him expecting something a little different. B-boys dancing to techno is beyond wack.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    9th Wonder

This is partly why I had to stop writing reviews- they all end up sounding cornball, even good writers fall into the same format, I hate reading reviews and I hated writing reviews- I'd rather blog (kinda).

Rockit 7

Not mad, just annoyed.

fire dancers? yo...

jiving? word?

You must have seen a different Bambaataa than I saw back in the 90's. That shit sucked. A bunch of drum n bass & techno bullshit. Maybe he was playing the cream of the crop drum n bass and techno and I am just "disconnected"..but I went to see him expecting something a little different. B-boys dancing to techno is beyond wack.

i did, in fact, see a different bam. i saw him in the 90s too and was hugely disappointed. he played the same drum and bass and techno crap that made me want to puke. i have a new found respect for that kind of music, but i really wanted to hear the master of records blow my mind. i don't even think he mixed on beat! when i saw him in january of this year though, it was a different story. didn't drop crazy breaks on me that i had never heard, but at least he rocked the party.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Wowzers.

its no ladybug

but those speaker greekcolumns

easily could have been left out

i am listening to some songs on windows media player at work here and just noticed this cover is like one of those anuimated music backgrounds that are displayed when the music plays

who approved this