THE GUESS WHO.

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I was ripping an old stack of CDs and came across their Greatest Hits. I forgot how much I enjoyed these dudes. Never had a need to look beyond their 8 great songs... but yes... NO SUGAR TONIGHT!

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    CANADIA DUDES HATING ON AMERICAN WOMANS < BTO

• It's all about 'Shakin' All Over'.... (Randy Bachman, top right)

• my dad grew up right next door to burton cummings on bannerman avenue in winnipeg. apparently they used to throw rocks at one another. think they have more like 13-15 real good songs.

Burton now owns a share of salisbury house restaurant chain so when you go to the peg make sure to stop in for a cheese nip and a slice of wafer pie.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

It's all about 'Shakin' All Over'.... (Randy Bachman, top right)

YES - This songs rules.

You know what doesn't rule - their horrible and failed attempt at doing a The End-type song - it's embarrassingly bad.

Runnin Back to Saskatoon is a good song too.

• It's all about 'Shakin' All Over'.... (Randy Bachman, top right)

YES - This songs rules.

You know what doesn't rule - their horrible and failed attempt at doing a The End-type song - it's embarrassingly bad.

The flipside of 'Shakin', 'When We Kissed' is one of the finest pieces of faux British Invasion evarrrr.....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Guess Who is great for parts of songs. Parts of These Eyes are great, other parts aren't. No Time is partially awesome, partially forgettable. I ride for the Butthole Surfers version of American Woman. And there's an album track on Share the Land that I halfway like.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I was ripping an old stack of CDs and came across their Greatest Hits. I forgot how much I enjoyed these dudes. Never had a need to look beyond their 8 great songs... but yes... NO SUGAR TONIGHT!

Most people would consider "No Sugar Tonight" one of their "eight great songs," that ain't exactly a deep cut or anything.

Always liked their hits (from 1965's "Shakin' All Over" to 1975's "Dancin' Fool"), although I never explored the albums. My fave: "Laughing."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My fave: "Laughing."

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    The Guess Who is great for parts of songs. Parts of These Eyes are great, other parts aren't. No Time is partially awesome, partially forgettable.

BS HC...
    decide fer yerself folks...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Guess Who is great for parts of songs. Parts of These Eyes are great, other parts aren't. No Time is partially awesome, partially forgettable.

BS...

So you even like the showtuney parts of that song? I withstand them, but always hope for a return to the stripped down groove.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

YES - This songs rules.

yes and yes and yes. and i like "It's My Pride" a lot too

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Parts of These Eyes are great,

I'vve got a mind bogglingly dope 12" of this. 1 side in dub reggae stylee the other in caribean disco funk throwdown mode.

killer

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

YES - This songs rules.

"it's My Pride" is killer killer KILLER

The Guess Who is great.

i dig it end-to-end (no cringing moments), but i'm a big EZ fan too (esp of producers ben mcpeek [and jack richardson] of nimbus 9, mutual understanding, robbie mcdougall, bonnie dobson, CTL)...
    of course that groove is rad, but the dynamics and range make it to me, a perfect pop song. combined w/ burton's vocal delivery and tight playing, i'm sold...
    such a contrast to the hits of today (production, execution, delivery, presentation)...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Most people would consider "No Sugar Tonight" one of their "eight great songs," that ain't exactly a deep cut or anything.

Always liked their hits (from 1965's "Shakin' All Over" to 1975's "Dancin' Fool"), although I never explored the albums. My fave: "Laughing."

Though not including any big hits, the So Long Bannatyne LP is pretty solid listening. "Grey Day," "Sour Suite," and "Pain Train" are old faves of mine.

YES - This songs rules.

"it's My Pride" is killer killer KILLER

Seriously, the breakdown in that is badass. And i want to reiterate their version of "Shakin' All Over" rules. And "If You Don't Want Me" is a damn sexy song. I can picture Rob Tyner singing this!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"The End" is kind of embarassingly bad itself.

Ride the snake, ride the snake
    To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
    The snake is long: seven miles!
    Ride the snake... he's old, and his skin is cold

Also gotta ride for "Clap For The Wolfman" (1974), one of their last hits, and a reminder of a time when DJ Wolfman Jack was rock royalty and more than one band had him make a cameo appearance on their song...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

One of my favorite tunes. The Killer awoke at dawn. He put his boots on. Unfadeable.

A couple of years ago my friend and I, inspired by a Dr Hook poster stuck to a telephone pole, set out to see the most washed up AOR act we could find. One night I got a call from another friend who had free tickets to the Joe Cocker/Guess Who double bill at the local arena. "Did we want to go?" We figured this was God's way of fulfilling our request without suffering too much monetary loss. We assumed the show would be a total laugher. Cocker was on first. 30 minutes into his set he busted out "You Are So Beautiful". We were stunned at his intensity. It was like he was singing for his life. He straight torched the place with some Sheffield soul.

The Guess Who later came on a stunk the place up with a horrible psychedelic light show and bad mustaches. I like No Sugar Tonight. Never heard the other cuts posted about here. Anyone got DLs of Pride, Shakin and the flip?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Can anyone remind me what the song of theirs is that begins and/or ends with a clock ticking? I put that on a mix once and remembered being really into it at one time, but it has since gone M.I.A. both in my brain and in my collection.

The Guess Who later came on a stunk the place up with a horrible psychedelic light show and bad mustaches.

Was Burton Cummings singing lead?

(While we're repping Guess Who, I may as well add that I kinda like "Stand Tall," Cummings' mid-seventies solo hit.)

thank you. x1000

i had a psycho roommate in college who would listen to this on his headphones late at night when i was trying to sleep and he would yell out that "FATHERRRR I WANT TO KILL YOU" part. i think it has to do with why i do not like The Doors. well that and Ray Manzarak.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

One of my favorite tunes. The Killer awoke at dawn. He put his boots on. Unfadeable.

You're entitled to indulge your poor taste, but the song is eminently fadable.

Tell me--does this one also shut the clurb down for you?

• You know what doesn't rule - their horrible and failed attempt at doing a The End-type song - it's embarrassingly bad.

thank you. x1000

i had a psycho roommate in college who would listen to this on his headphones late at night when i was trying to sleep and he would yell out that "FATHERRRR I WANT TO KILL YOU" part. i think it has to do with why i do not like The Doors. well that and Ray Manzarak.

yeah, jim morrison, what a wanker

Surprised to see the Guess Who get so much love on the Strut, but it makes me feel a little better for secretly kind of enjoying myself when one of their songs comes on the radio. i can't really get with American woman, but i'll take She's come Undoooone!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Julian Cope wrote some pretty hilarious reviews on the guess who... that's when i sorta started to relisten

being canadian i kinda slept on em...

don't front on my local home town heroes April Wine either!

i need Bachman's post Guess Who pre BTO band Brown Bear...

Cummings appeared on the show I worked on and it happened to be the same day as 98 Degrees - who were at their height at the time. It was a fine balancing act of giving due to Cummings, a Canadian hero and a favourite of the host, by allowing him to do two songs, not the one that was sceduled (he deicded he wanted to do three once he got there!)and keeping 98's record company happy (who were bringing us big name guests) by allowing 98 to do their scheduled two songs AND having a third guest on and all in one hour. It all worked out in the end because 98 did their second song under the credits. But damn dude, it wasn't The Burton Cummings Hour. He was good, but not remembered for his good nature.

April Wine

I really like their first (self-titled) record.

i like the doors (esp soft parade), but i LOVE the FB3 (terry, neville, and lynval from the specials)...
    this version made my summer magical... anybody ride for this twist???
    they burn a US flag at the end... never seen the guess who do that (see "american woman")...

April Wine

I really like their first (self-titled) record.

don't get me started on 70s CDN rock...
    anybody down w/ les q (some guess who related ish)???

Julian Cope wrote some pretty hilarious reviews on the guess who... that's when i sorta started to relisten

Lester Bangs was a huge Guess Who fan too, although I don't know if it was genuine or if he was just goofin'...

don't front on my local home town heroes April Wine either!

The earliest albums aren't bad! Not too fond of their later arena-rock years (like 1981's "Just Between You & Me"), but I do have an early (1972) album on the Aquarius label (from Canada) that has their American hit, "You Could Have Been A Lady"...a good listen from front to back.

i need Bachman's post Guess Who pre BTO band Brown Bear...

You mean Brave Belt?

(When Bachman-Turner Overdrive had their day, Reprise cashed in with a Brave Belt reissue that was titled something like Bachman-Turner-Bachman As Brave Belt...)