Vintage SI Posters

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• LOU BROCK! when I was a little one he was my idol...I used to sprint back and forth between these 2 trees in my yard so I could try and get fast so I could steal bases like him, unfortunately I am slow.

• ..wow..i was expecting some of the 80's ones i remember..but those are freshhh..I'm especially diggin the hank Aaron and Lou Brock ones..Anybody got the old school promo posters they used to have in the shoes stores??Walt Frazier for Puma etc..Thanks

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Bob Gibson: incredibly focused and mean as hell.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Bob Gibson: incredibly focused and mean as hell.

...and by far my favorite pitcher of all time. One of the greatest clutch pitchers of all time.

• Well, it's not a poster and i don't have a scan, but i do own the SI issue that has the 3D hologram of Michael Jordan on the cover, when he was named the SI Man Of The Year!

(sorry, that turned out to be a pretty useless post, but man, that was a great issue!)

• My folks used to live in this apartment building with a SI photographer, I have a couple boxes of some amazing black and white prints from the 60s and 70s, lots of Football and Baseball Cardinals pics, some killer Blues Hockey pics...I need to get some of them framed...

This is the only SI poster that I still have from back in the day...

My younger sister snagged my Jordan poster when I was off at college.

But yeah, I gotta start buying some of these. Like this one...

She's kinda like damn...

• Bob Gibson: incredibly focused and mean as hell.

...and by far my favorite pitcher of all time. One of the greatest clutch pitchers of all time.

There was a great Gibson anecdote in Ken Burns baseball, but I can't remember all the details. The gist of it is that he and his best friend and teammate (whose name escapes me) were chatting once and Bob told him, "If you ever end up on another team and have to face me, don't crowd the plate." His friend ends up getting traded at the end of the season and, the following year, he faces his old buddy.

And he crowds the plate. And Bob tries to put one in his ear.

They went out to dinner after the game and he says, "What the hell was that about?"

And Bob just says, "I told you: don't crowd the plate on me."

There was a great Gibson anecdote in Ken Burns baseball, but I can't remember all the details. The gist of it is that he and his best friend and teammate (whose name escapes me) were chatting once and Bob told him, "If you ever end up on another team and have to face me, don't crowd the plate." His friend ends up getting traded at the end of the season and, the following year, he faces his old buddy.

And he crowds the plate. And Bob tries to put one in his ear.

They went out to dinner after the game and he says, "What the hell was that about?"

And Bob just says, "I told you: don't crowd the plate on me."

You already know I keep one of these in the folder...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This is the only SI poster that I still have from back in the day...

That's the style I remember. I had one of Joe Montana.

• I wish I still had the Ronnie Lott "Designated Hitter" and Jerry Rice "Goldfingers" jawns.....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Same here....unfortunately he probably couldn't pitch the way he did in today's game.

He would tell you he was gonna hit you and then he would hit your ass.

Baseball has become wussified.

• Great posters..and great thread! I was actually just looking for some good sports related prints/photos/posters on the net last night. Ordered a Shoeless Joe/Ty Cobb poster(pretty famous photo, you've prob seen it before).

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Man, I had high hopes for this thread...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Well, it's not a poster and i don't have a scan, but i do own the SI issue that has the 3D hologram of Michael Jordan on the cover, when he was named the SI Man Of The Year!

(sorry, that turned out to be a pretty useless post, but man, that was a great issue!)

My pops has subscribed to SI since the 1970s and has collected every MJ cover ever, including the covers where he's in a small pic in the corner. He has all them all up on a shelf surrounding the pool table.

My favorite is the cover with, I think, the '96 Bulls playing cards. The photographer took the picture of a bunch of the players on the team plane with their heads sticking out into the aisle. It's a pretty cool shot.

Yes, slightly useless post as well...

Rate this on the scale of useless posts:

I WAS IN ATTENDANCE AT BOTH OF THESE ANCIENT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES!!!

• I went to a basketball camp that David Thompson was a part of. Nasty vertical.