FiOS Users

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I'm watching the webcast right now.For 65 bucks a month 20 down & 20 up!Man, it's making me want to move back to the states.I know a few of you are on it. How's the service over all???I can't imagine having 20 up.

Comments

• Options
    Unless they changed it, it's 20 down and 5 up. I think there was a way to get 10 up too, but that was with 50 down and it cost a disgusting amount. But like I said, they could have changed it.

I've had it a few months, haven't had a single problem and I'm happy with it. I was a FIOS splicer up until three weeks ago when I left the company, so I know the system inside and out right up to the side of the house. It's better than a coaxial based system, more bandwidth and fewer users sharing a line. As more and more data gets pumped over the internets this will be a more important factor. That's the best part of it, but no one wants to hear that yet.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    It was just announced a few mins ago.

No caps 20/20 for 65 bucks.

They are gonna sign up a shit load of people off this.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Unveils-Symmetrical-20Mbps-FiOS-88723

• Options
    Well I'll be dipped in shit!! Sorry for the doubt there, didn't know about this. It's only available at first to the tri-state area so I guess I'll be getting it.

To tell you the truth, it's a nice thing but it's not going to be a big driver behind signing that many people up. The main thing swinging people over is the television service. We get a certain amount of people to switch at first in the areas that are waiting for video franchise agreements to be approved (which means they only subscribe to internet and phone at first), then once the tv is available the floodgates open and we rack people up left and right.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Unveils-Symmetrical-20Mbps-FiOS-88723

I switched last Winter. Let me tell you, the speed is Frickin' awesome... but it has come with some serious luggage.

The crappy ass Actiontec Wireless router they gave us was not compatible with my Wife's window machine. It did not do a good job assigning IPs. Then.. we had an outage in our area that took 5 days to reinstate. 5 Days with no INternet at home with me was like kicking Heroin cold turkey.

So.. be warned. Shit does go wrong.

• Options

I switched last Winter. Let me tell you, the speed is Frickin' awesome... but it has come with some serious luggage.

The crappy ass Actiontec Wireless router they gave us was not compatible with my Wife's window machine. It did not do a good job assigning IPs. Then.. we had an outage in our area that took 5 days to reinstate. 5 Days with no INternet at home with me was like kicking Heroin cold turkey.

So.. be warned. Shit does go wrong.

5 days to fix an outage is INSANE. Even the most major failure we had up here didn't take longer than a day and a half to fix. I'd love to know what that was all about.

Raj if you're router is messed up call up and get another one. They've upgraded them a couple of times and you might have an older model. I've got an Actiontec that works great. You might even have older cable boxes too, i know there was a problem with remote controls initially and they upgraded those maybe 4 times and the cable boxes two or three times. They're pretty good about upgrading equipment for people.

Stuff does go wrong though, you're right about that. I haven't had any problems yet though.