Which 2 shops in San Francisco?

Beats29Beats29 48 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
So, I'm in San Francisco, hijacking somebody's WiFi connection.I'm only here for a couple days, visitng family really.I might get a chance to hit A record shop, maybe 2.No time to dig though!!!.So, which shop to hit or 2... just for wall stuff?.... ThanksMo

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts

[color:red]G R O O V E M E R C H A N T [/color]

• Groove Merchant. Chris'll take care of you.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Groove Merchant. Chris'll take care of you.

Amoeba is also close by and always worth a gander.

Amoeba is also close by and always worth a gander.

or skip amoeba...and go to Groove Merchant...which is what any local hardcore record nerd would suggest...

chris has that fire...guarenteed!

• Amoeba is that spot if you want to spend 2 hours flipping through garbage to maybe, maybe find one or two cool things. If you have limited time skip that and like everyone else said, just go straight to the Groove Merchant.

• Amoeba is that spot if you want to spend 2 hours flipping through garbage to maybe, maybe find one or two cool things. If you have limited time skip that and like everyone else said, just go straight to the Groove Merchant.

insert one more maybe please...

some would say it's like catching lightning in a bottle...at least I feel that way whenever I've gotten something amazing there...at least the one in SF...that is..

• I definitely prefer Groove Merchant to Amoeba by a mile but I've found some decent stuff at Amoeba over the years and they are pretty close to each other. Amoeba is also worth it strictly as a record geek tourist attraction if you're not from the area or from LA.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Groove Merchant. Chris'll take care of you.

Yup. Best record store I've ever been inside.

• I definitely prefer Groove Merchant to Amoeba by a mile but I've found some decent stuff at Amoeba over the years and they are pretty close to each other. Amoeba is also worth it strictly as a record geek tourist attraction if you're not from the area or from LA.

yeah cosine. I recall there being some decent places in between these 2 also. But if you're only going to 1, go to the GM.

I understand cats shitting on Amoeba. Thing is, there IS a regionalism thing happening. The few times i was in NorCal i remember there being certain decent records in like ALL the stores that you never see where I'm from. So a trip to somewhere like Amoeba could be more fruitful for an out-of-towner than for a local.

• if you're a serious buyer maybe contact Chris ahead of time to line up some pieces for you.

• if you're a serious buyer maybe contact Chris ahead of time to line up some pieces for you.

Yes! make sure he lays said pieces out across his granite stove-top as well.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    also if he's feeling okay, hit up mr. jinx74. anyone know how he's doing right now?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    if you're a serious buyer maybe contact Chris ahead of time to line up some pieces for you.

It's Mo!

• Thanks Peoples!.

now somebody hit me with the address.... I'm in Richmond right now... is that far away?

You dudes got some nasty potholes in your I-80.

Peace
    Mo

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    i'd skip amoeba for "wall stuff" unless you need more elder jazz or mediocre rock in your collection.

• oh!

687 haight st.

We going into SF. I'll try hitting it up!.... is it near alcatraz and shit... cos I'll need to make a record store detour without the mrs noticing!!!

Mo

• def not near alcatraz.
    mo, roove merchant not to be missed. a landmark for stateside diggers, without a doubt. hit chris with some walloffames, he's cool as they come. def try to call him ahead...but he may be able to link you to some "rreal hedz" too.
    you might be able to sneak away in the morning and hit up the ashby or laney swaps...no raer guarantee, but to me...those two fleas are the essence of the whole thing.
    what about contacting dj om?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    if you're a serious buyer maybe contact Chris ahead of time to line up some pieces for you.

It's Mo!

I'm sayin!

• def not near alcatraz.
    mo, roove merchant not to be missed. a landmark for stateside diggers, without a doubt. hit chris with some walloffames, he's cool as they come. def try to call him ahead...but he may be able to link you to some "rreal hedz" too.
    you might be able to sneak away in the morning and hit up the ashby or laney swaps...no raer guarantee, but to me...those two fleas are the essence of the whole thing.
    what about contacting dj om?

true...if you want to come through and hit me...I've got a couple of joints...I'll hit you on pm with my info...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    oh!

687 haight st.

We going into SF. I'll try hitting it up!.... is it near alcatraz and shit... cos I'll need to make a record store detour without the mrs noticing!!!

Mo

Chris needs a girlfriend couch.

• yeah, thanks!