Your favourite least-liked drum programeurs

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Let's start it off.Timberland: Dude can't be fucked with, from killing it with the whole syncopated steez, to having some trully unique and ill kicks and snares. The drums alone on "Brush your shoulder" put dude in the top 10.Pete Rock: In his prime his drum programing was so damn fluid. Ironically, my favourite LP of his beats was a album where every joint has the loudest hi-hat imaginable, The Main ingredient.Just Blaze: I've basically study the drums on "P.S.A." to death and wondered how can such a slow beat can have so much movement, i've realized it might the reverb on the snare. Regardless, that one little hit is murderous and dude really knows how fit drums with samples.Dilla: even though his drum programing has been copied to death, at one time that shit was so damn original and amazing..... thus spanning the timmy dig-a-lots myspace wobble wobble dudes.Daz-I-Kue: This might cause the most amount of shrugs, but if anyone really fucks with broken beat you have to give it up to dude. I can't even follow the programing he's got going on and just the amount of nuances and variations dude brings really make his beats great to listen to.Least Liked:9th wonder: Do I even have to explain?Swizzy: yeah I know.....his patterns are dope and his beats accomplish what they intend to do but damn, it' like he does the same pattern every time.Those Fort Knox Five guys, again really some niche producers but they make tracks with the most sterile Frickin' drum sounds and patterns ever. It might not even be Fort Knox that does it but it's a lot of those dudes who make corny FUNKY GROOVY BEATZ

Comments

• Just Blaze: I've basically study the drums on "P.S.A." to death and wondered how can such a slow beat can have so much movement, i've realized it might the reverb on the snare. Regardless, that one little hit is murderous and dude really knows how fit drums with samples.

i first read P.S.A. as P.S.K. and i was thinking..."yeah Schoolly D did use alot of reverb and that shit was dope."

good post

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm sure for least fav, someone is gonna say Danger Mouse - even if he does jack large loops, I like some of his stuff.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Agreed for the most part except you really take the Main Ingredient over Mecca & The Soul Brother? For another thread.

MOST:

Marley Marl (duh)
    DJ Pooh (way under-rated)
    Large Professor
    DJ Shadow (not a "drum programmer" in the same sense, but a master at adding small nuances to his drums and making a dope break even better)
    Thes One (all the programming on Lifestyle Marketing is dope and the drum sounds are next level.)
    Bomb Squad (keen sense of how to take a break, do very little to change it, but make it sound perfect)
    Mannie Fresh (master of the snare rolls)

LEAST:

Most producers who can't escape the words "boom-bap"
    The Neptunes (catchy at first, annoying as hell in retrospect)
    Countless others who repeat the same stale patterns and sounds over and over.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Bomb Squad

Bomb Squad

Bomb Squad

Bomb Squad

Bomb Squad

Bomb Squad

Bomb Squad

What I need to do is kick the bitch in the tummy.

DJ Shadow (not a "drum programmer" in the same sense, but a master at adding small nuances to his drums and making a dope break even better)

I know what you mean I guess, but even if you only take this one example, his drum programming on 'Guns Blazing' off the Unkle album was the very definition of

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I know what you mean I guess, but even if you only take this one example, his drum programming on 'Guns Blazing' off the Unkle album was the very definition of

Not to detract from Shadow, but that's a straight loop pretty much I think.

• Definitely not a big fan of 9th's drums, but Swizz kills 'em every now and then. The drums are "It's Me Snitches" were pretty raw.

• As far as favorites no one's mentioned, Battlecat's always been that dude. Impeccable drums.

Not to detract from Shadow, but that's a straight loop pretty much I think.

Just to counter that - given that I have heard the guns blazing track and also have the record he took those drums from, I can pretty much certify that it is not a strtaight loop.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Large Muhfuckin' Professor
    Beatnuts
    Sam Sever (supposedly did a bunch of programming on the early Mantronix records)
    Big cosignature on Mannie Fresh

• Bink!- Dude kind of started the 5 million breakdowns with sample style that everybody is doin to this day.

Dilla- He could loop, program or do whatever the fuck he felt and it usually turned out dope.

Primo- Had his own way of turning the familiar breaks into his own.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Favorite:

Prince - c'mon, he was one of the first to get funky on the Linn

Timbo -

Dilla - sloppy goodness

Primo/Marley - kings of boom bap

Least Favourite:

Me - I'm in a rut at the moment

• Rick Rock - If just for the drums on "Bumpin My Music". Simple but perfect. Involuntary neck snapping.

Exile - I'm still playing "Dirty Science". I had to go back and start collecting the Sound in Color 12s for the Exile tracks. I know people call him Dilla derivative, but I feel like he's such a master of the stuttering pulsing rhythms that he brings it to his own level.

• DJ Shadow (not a "drum programmer" in the same sense, but a master at adding small nuances to his drums and making a dope break even better)

sorry to keep going down this tangent, but what about the number song? He did a pretty good job chopping those out. His chop of the Road Home drums for the Meiso remix was pretty nice too. I like how he picks some things that aren't obvious.

• kraftwerk - if not only for sheer innovation/pioneering

mantronix - & sure, mannie fresh

rza - so wrong, yet raw/right

marley marl - rethinking 'the break' in the context of production. all the influence'd & the era thereafter..

preem - obvious (or would be..had not so many people bit, or straight lift, his drums/style for a period.)

pete - not to be glossed over. past stuff still surprises me. breaks over programming. tuned drums. complex filters, layers, balance, & all-importantly his "bounce".

quik - inimitable quality/studio-aesthetic. >dre..imo

jdilla - better left as once cited by ahmir: 'he was innovative. he was humorous, he was loud, he was drunk, he was straighter than 6'o clock, he was incorrect and correct all at once...and that was just his drumming'

• Diplo

Jel

Shadow

Panzah Zandahz

pete rock

Sixtoo (check duration)

and my all time fav = el-p

Rza

Giz from Audio two

Bomb Squad

Dust Brothers

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Some favourites: (Mecca... era) Pete Rock, Paul C (even if all he did was Give the drummer some, that alone would give him a mention), Timbaland, Neptunes (just to counter all the previous hatt. I love almost everything they've done). Salih Williams needs a mention too - that snare attack on Sittin' Sideways is just too damn good. Also, can I just mention how brilliant Lil Jons drums on Trillvilles Neva Eva is? Oh, and Shadow. Of course. Changeling - now that's some quality 7/4 chopping of Soft Shell.

Least favourites: 9th wonder (already mentioned, Current Pete Rock (what happened? maybe it's me) and the Heatmakerz (they've got some loops, but their drums are STIFF. that production video that was posted with them a while back really made me cringe).

• DaMN! how could I forget Curtis Mantonix, I was going to put him first actually.

For Mannie, the shear fact that he made "ha" on the sp-1200 still blows me away. I always dug that track, even when I was rocking fondle 'em speedo's. but going back and then figuring out that it was all made on a basic-ass-fuck drum machine, NEXT LEVEL

and yeah co-sign on Battlecat, Quik and other assorted west coast dudes. I woudn't put them as drum gods but still excellent producers.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

im trying to think of people outside of who have been named.

tribes drums. The programming of the classic breaks were dope, but also the mixing by bob power was on some next level shit which made the drums smash. Using untraditional envelopes on the kits adding a unique sonic character to them.

easy mo bee could program a track mean as fuck.

dr. dres drums are crazy. His shit isnt programmed all crazy but it hits hard.

prince paul had a unqiue sound to the breaks he flipped or programmed.

mark the 45 king has some dope drums and flips breaks nice.

j-swift from pharcyde.

paul c. ultramag and organized drums - banging.

dante ross and the stimulated dummies used to have some banging drums on the remixes they did.

maceo from de la. Simple but i always dug em.

Been digging marco polos shit for a minute. I like what he did with that masta ace joint, i think its called "nostalgia".

squarepusher and prefuse do some sick programming. I like the way prefuse did the glitch edits on his first two albums.

people im not feeling:

kanyes most recent drums sound like shit. His snares sound like they were sampled off of am radio.

scott storches shit is hot garbage. drums sound like straight ass that a preschooler programmed.

madlibs shit is pretty tired. Straight loops with real shitty fidelity is wearing thin.

mathamatics from the wu i think always sucked and they were always off.

showbiz. His beats were legendary and he has some real dope tracks but the drums were just straight loops that didnt switch up for the most part. Wasnt really feeling that out of the whole DITC crew.

thats bout it for now. gonna go finish this bottle of cutty sark and program my own wack ass drums. PEACE

• I'm sure for least fav, someone is gonna say Danger Mouse - even if he does jack large loops, I like some of his stuff.

i hate that dude. Call me jealous, but that dude is average and really hasn't made anything that amazes me. I think he even loops his drums off of like breakbeat scratch records.

• JEL

damn, how could I forget.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Ced Gee......ridiculously innovative for the time period....

May be a little off base - but the drums on The Prodigy's "Fat Of The Land" are amongst the best ever heard. This mainly has to do with the mix.....but jesus. The drums on Smack My Bitch Up alone are beyond retarted.

I'm sure for least fav, someone is gonna say Danger Mouse - even if he does jack large loops, I like some of his stuff.

i hate that dude. Call me jealous, but that dude is average and really hasn't made anything that amazes me. I think he even loops his drums off of like breakbeat scratch records.

Danger Mouse absolutley killed it on the Grey Album, no question in my mind. The way he chopped those Beatles tracks still blows my mind. Maybe better than the original Black Album on the whole, though the Rick Rubin and Just Blaze tracks are dope as hell.

Everything else he has done is pretty mediocre though, and I want to know if he is sampling off compilations, because he's jacked some pretty rare beats off known grail-level libraries that never ever come up, but are on some European comps. I really hated the Gnarls Barkley in large part because he took some great songs and did a real mediocre job with them, and the whole record was mastered with an iron-clad brickwall limiter. It just sucks when you play a great track and people go "ooh, is that a Gnarls Barkley song??"

He really doesn't deserve to be up there with the best drum programmers though. He's all about finding good melodic samples, drum-wise he's simplistic (but generally not bad).

And Phonics I am listening to the Main Ingredient instrumentals and they do not touch Mecca & The Soul Brother.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

please dont get me started, every ones on his jock, but all he has done is loop big name library records poorly,
    remember this is the guy people were talking up because he put nas over portishead loops like it was i hate stupid people

getting back to the questio n
    not like i am adding any one whom hasnt been named but these are my personal favourites
    dilla for his afore mentioned lazy style
    pete rock not so much for his patterns but his sound
    premo do i need to say any more than know my steeze?
    hi tek cant put my finger on what it is i love
    timberland for some reason it took me until hola hovito
    Mario Caldato JR simple but i feel a little slept on
    Thes I just like his patterns and the sounds, but most of friends dissagree.....
    Ced Gee RAW!!
    Marely Marl dont need to give any reasons
    Cut Chemist as much for the way he uses drums and for the sound he gets
    D'angelo i wish i could program slow drums like that!
    Shawn J Period cant believe has hasnt been mentioned
    Dj Shadow i know alot of people love to hate him, and i am not crazy about his new stuff but he had his moments early on
    Chief Xcel even just for the drums at the end of Fully Charged On Planet X very nice subtle changes
    Evidence Predictable but i still love it
    Large Pro
    Beatnuts crunchy
    i will leave the list there but it doesnt mean there arent more i am feeling

least favourites
    J. Rawls i like his music but his drums just dont cut it for me
    madlib as above i like a fair bit of his music but his drums are just so so for the most part
    dj revolution just cant feel his drums
    oh no so hit and miss

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Danger Mouse absolutley killed it on the Grey Album, no question in my mind. The way he chopped those Beatles tracks still blows my mind. Maybe better than the original Black Album on the whole, though the Rick Rubin and Just Blaze tracks are dope as hell.
    Please be serious.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Please be serious.

the concept was dope i will give him that but it was a write off musically, the pete rock version on the other hand matched songs and beats very well

Please be serious.

You aren't faux_rillz. And yes I am serious, and I generally hate concept/mashup/indie hipster clusterfucks like that. But credit where it's due, I've never heard anything like what he did with the Grey Album.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    JEL

damn, how could I forget.

While we're on that blazing downtempo, I really dig the Rehash releases and I think they've got great drums. Gratuitous theft in the rain especially, has some killer drums.

A Neptunes track I thought of just now - Slim Thugs Problem. Those drums are amazing, really original. Did that come out? Was it on the US version of the album, or just on some kind of preleak internet version?

• Sam Sever (supposedly did a bunch of programming on the early Mantronix records)

Interesting.

This rumour been doing the rounds for a while or a new one? Not heard this before.

• RJD2

I know this guy gets a fair amount of hate on SS, but some of his drum programming (around the time of the Soul Position LP) was nuts.
    Yeah I know he???s loop based but there are some things going on in his work that are clearly programmed.