Fresh Mode Appreciation.

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Seriously, not to hug on einsteins nuts (no homo), but Ive been listening to this album again recently. I love how much it reminds me of........college. A good friend of mine chris had the corner dorm room with the big window where it was safe to hit the bong without worrying about it. He was a dj from L.A. and he would always play this record. One time after many gravity bong hits, the record skipped right on the part where it goes "even when the record skips, even when the record skips, even when the record skips" or something like that and our little stoner minds were collectively blown.To this day I love that record.Yes, this was in new england. Freshman year, and mabye we were college radio rap dorks, but I still think this is a damn good album..err..ep.

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    HOLD ON!!! i just found out they might be a "right wing front!"

This from their messageboard:

"What's the deal with this group? Are they part of a "Old School" revival against greed and corruption of the music industry or a right wing bunch out to bash and take down modern hip hop and liberalism? One interview suggests they hate what's left of "old Europe's" pro middle class and labor laws.
    I can't see listening to a group that seems to want to criticize the dominant group running hip hop for excess and at the same time be in line with our current crop of U.S. right wing "thinkers".

Man!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn Bsides listens to undergroup rap?!?!?!?!?!

yeah the beats are really dope on that album, the rapping is actually pretty good too, BUT, there are too many subliminal religious messages

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Subliminal religious messages?

That EP is one of my Top 5 hip hop records! I love it. I'm no native speaker, but I think that the lyrics are great too. It's the kind of stuff that I would like to hear over a music that I produced. I might be a middle-class Euro kid, but that's just how it is these days.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Seriously, not to hug on einsteins nuts (no homo), but Ive been listening to this album again recently.

I love how much it reminds me of........college. A good friend of mine chris had the corner dorm room with the big window where it was safe to hit the bong without worrying about it. He was a dj from L.A. and he would always play this record.

One time after many gravity bong hits, the record skipped right on the part where it goes "even when the record skips, even when the record skips, even when the record skips" or something like that and our little stoner minds were collectively blown.

To this day I love that record.

Yes, this was in new england. Freshman year, and mabye we were college radio rap dorks, but I still think this is a damn good album..err..ep.

hahaha...I remember that night! Ahh yes our cold Boston nights where like 5 or 6 of us would be crammed into that little room listening to each others dorky perspectives on hip-hop and smoking obscene amounts of tree. the line was " And the needle never skips and the needle never skips and the needle never skips." I was straight up when it happened, considering my mind state at the time.

Props to Einstein..I saw you guys perform a couple of times at the Middle East that year...you may have even gone on our radio station too.

• damn Bsides listens to undergroup rap?!?!?!?!?!

yeah the beats are really dope on that album, the rapping is actually pretty good too, BUT, there are too many subliminal religious messages

Maybe that is why Stein asked about Scientology???? JK. never caught onto the religous nuances before. Stein do u have a comment on this? btw i have like and bought all of their records. all really dope, cleaner and more refined as they go on. the haircut on andy cooper in that japanese remix you guys did is kind of suspect.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    That record is one of THE consistentlyist freshest hippest hoppest reckids around, and the soundtrack to my college days. Actually, it played a hand in me getting a set of 1200s and learning to scratch.

Its gotta be hard to follow up any good debut with equally good sequels cause people always use it as a barometer for everything that follows, but I think UD took care of it pretty well.

Looking forward to the next one....

Peace.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    "einstein's takin off" is the best track from F.M. to me. .... It was lucky that I found out what was sampled on it since it's not the song I listen to the most off that lp(that the sample came from), and it's a few minutes

• Yes, this was in new england. Freshman year, and mabye we were college radio rap dorks, but I still think this is a damn good album..err..ep.

Huge co-sign. This EP sort of took over the campus when I started playing it out at parties and at the station.. I had this friend that would always show up wasted at house parties and demand that I play that "Einstein Jam!!" and would throw things at me until I'd play it.

I think I've still got a signed copy of this where Stein wrote "YO! M*** IS FRESH" in a bubble coming out of girl's mouth when they came to play my school sophmore year. Dude's a monster on the tables, no doubt.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Word I probally liked this EP out of all the other albums. The "everything is going to be alright" tracks is real real real real nice. I remember getting the OG press of Frehs Mode and was real impressed by it. I think even wrote a review for it in this mag called Subculture.

but yo...other UG picks

"Journey to anywhere" (the track from that Funky Precendent LP), that brazilian joint with Grand Puba on the flip, the little samba remixes, the turn it up remix, and that one with on Kajmere with Zakir.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I've alwasys thought they were good shit. They should makea millionz.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    thanks for the nice things averyone said. we also need to give props to corky mccoy the artist who did the cover for us. he's also famous for a few of miles davis covers he did. were also working on a new record at the present that i hope you all dig. peace, stein. . .

• I always support the UD crew, got dubs of almost all the 12"s (except the Import only ones you fuckers!) Einstien consistently makes neck snappers.