Al Green-Livin For You - Appreciation Post.

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
This hasnt left my CD changer all month. Last night I realized how really incredible this is.Beware = Ive had it for many years and always returned to it but recently it has "touched me".

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I love "So Good to Be Here."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I love "So Good to Be Here."

I liked how it was used in the American Pimp movie......

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    my CD changer

You sound homeless.

*I know some people are holding onto CDs, for some strange reason. But a CD changer? What is it? A five disc carousel. LOL.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    my CD changer

You sound homeless.

*I know some people are holding onto CDs, for some strange reason. But a CD changer? What is it? A five disc carousel. LOL.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

For a major-label release, Livin' For You had the most ghetto, low-budget-looking album cover ever. Looks like it oughta be a mural on the wall at Popeye's Fried Chicken.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    my CD changer

You sound homeless.

I am beyond this level. I am still working with a jenky-as-can-be CD player hooked up to the tape deck of my car, along with my 50 or so, burned CDs stacked carelessly inside my driver seat compartment.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    FREE AT LAST & BEWARE are my picks!

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/seconds/al-green-beware.htm

At 8:12, ???Beware??? is one of Green???s longest tunes???an expansion of what was by 1973 a seasoned craftsman???s obsessions. If ???Let???s Stay Together??? and ???Call Me??? rendered Green as the star in his own billowy romantic fantasies, and ???Here I Am (Come & Take Me)??? was the PG-rated simulacrum of ???Tired of Being Alone??????s hard-dicked impatience, ???Beware??? subsumes them in a groove whose predictability, borne of equal parts confidence and mercenary instincts, doesn???t mitigate Green???s determination to show how finely shaded the Love Man pose was if you were staring hard enough (imagine if Bryan Ferry had fused ???If There Is Something??? and ???Just Another High???!). It???s the work of an artist with an uncanny grasp of how he stood in relation to his audience. Compared with sonic cousin ???Your Love Is the Morning Sun,??? the drawled hush in which Green sings ???Beware??? signifies a rapture as besotted with its own ability to provoke rapture as the earlier tune was at delineating the afterglow of one monstrous night of passion.

A chunk of ???Beware??? maintains a pace as unhurried as ??????Morning Sun,??? even with Leroy Hodges plucking a bass line as quietly propulsive as a finger thrust up a skirt. Over electric piano and Al Jackson???s as-ever metronomic drumming, Green sings:

The way people smile and say
    Using me in every way
    It???s all okay
    Tired of changin???
    Life is upside down
    No reason to cry loud