5's sorta

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
This is really more of a "what's been happening with you" type deal

Almost fought a co-worker at my job the other day. I won't get into specifics but I was definitley on the verge of getting it on. I just walked out of the room rather than hit a 40 something year old dude, not to mention lose my job over some bullshit.
I think he was on some "manliness" trip because a guy came in and then called him later that day to ask him out. Of course someone at work had to say "you gotta think what it is about you, as a man, that would make another guy think it's okay to call you up and ask if he could fuck you in the ass."
CLASSY

I stopped smoking 3 days ago and if it weren't for the patch i'd be gnawing my arms off by now. This shit sucks, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

General life re-configuring. It's about that time and it feels like the right thing to do.

I've been listening to Devin the Dude all week. I can't believe I didn't check for him sooner. It's a Shame.

My kids are a trip. I highly recommend having them if you're in the right financial and mental situation.

Serato and technology in general, is gonna change the face of DJing. Best to not fight it.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    that's some funny shit your co-worker said but good look on avoiding that fight.

one of my good friends is getting married on sunday and this is going to be the first wedding i'm going to that isn't with my parents, haha. not too excited about spending big money on it, but it's my homeboy and shits "aloha attire" so i don't need to wear no gimp suit.

piece of shit cell phone mufuckahs cut off my service before i got my new phone in the mail when i'm the one who is supposed to call in to cancel shit and on top of that, they are already sending me the wrong phone which i have to send back and then wait for them to send me a new one. shit is fucking stupid and i'm never fucking with cell phone shit online again.

i'm trying to finish up this mix that i've been working on for a while but i'm having a really hard time finding a few more songs for it that fit well. i'm sure once i figure that shit out, i'll blaze through that shit, but until then i'm kinda stuck. i've been trying to mp3 a bunch of instrumentals and acapellas but that shit is so god damn boring that i have to drink while i do it.

now i just need to wait for my friend to hurry the fuck up so we can get food cos i haven't eaten dinner yet. ok bye.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    It's 3 in AM PST. I took one of those late evening naps and I'm basically wide awake/fucked.

I went on two job interviews and the propsects looks mad good. I'm not that mad that the SUMMER OF YOUNG_PHONICS is ending sooner than later, but damit I need money for clothes and important shit like equipment (monitors,mixing boards, 8 out expanders) and funds to put out records and mix-cd's.

I'm catching PUTS, Crown City Rockers, and Giant Panda on Saturday at some day time loft bbq jawn with a this one new gal i've been kicking it with. Shit is good right now

yahm

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

General life re-configuring.

I like that.
    And its pretty much where I'm at, at the moment.
    I need to get my shit in gear financially, because in february I'm gonna be a father.
    And I need to build a childrensroom in my house, which kinda sucks cause we just finished the last re-modelling of the place.

I also stopped smoking weed/hash, which within a week made me feel healthier & more focused. I sleep better also.

but most importantly; saturday, its a saturday, its a saturdaaaahaaay

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Serato and technology in general, is gonna change the face of DJing. Best to not fight it.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Good thread, always nice to get back down to some realness:

Before I got my full-time job, I accepted an offer to fill in for a lady who I interned with at a city magazine here. Said she'd be out for a few weeks and asked me to update two full magazine sites for her (w/ pay). What I didn't put together back then is how time consuming it would be and that I'd have to come in after work to do them. Leaving the office at 5PM and heading to another job is killing me right now. I'll start out just fine, psyching myself into believing that my work day has just begun, but when 9-10PM rolls around and I realize that I'm the only one on the entire floor, it gets a bit disconcerting. Not to mention that I had some technical difficulties to deal with, which means that I have to head back again tonight (3rd in a row). Next week I'll have to do this all over again, for the second magazine site update.

My girl called me at 10:30 last night after I got home in a panic because part of the ceiling in her apartment fell on her couch while she was sitting there reading the real estate section in Philadelphia Weekly. (If that's not a sign, then I don't know what is...) She was afraid that rodents would leap down and be waiting for her in the morning. I insisted she come over and stay the night.

On the good side, I get my first full-time check today. I'm photocopying and framing that b*tch, heading next door to pick up a pair of brown suede Wallys (see avatar) and treating myself later this week to an album I really need in my life.

Overall though, just keeping a level head about everything that's going on. New changes, challenges and rewards abound.

I GOT MY P.M.A.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    my father had a heart attack on tuesday evening. while sitting at home eating chinese food and watching reruns of CSI i got a call from my neighbor. it was about 930p. i drove out to south city and to the emergency section and saw my neighbor, my aunt and uncle. they had already been allowed to see him but i had to wait a little bit until some of the doctors had gone through testing. when i did get to see him he was pretty pale and that strong father figure who taught me martial arts, coached my baseball team, got up and watched cartoons and ate mustard sandwiches with me, managed half of the cities PAL leagues, drove me and picked me up from my first date, got me out of juvenile hall, taught me how to drive and gave me my first car, went on fishing trips with, sat and waited with me through three operations, etc etc etc, was hooked up to many machines and scared. i dont think anyone could tell but me that he was nervous. he joked around a little during wheezes and asked for an asprin so he could go home and watch Tivo. thats my father... i remember when he fell through some stairs in chinatown while working and didnt see a doctor for five months... he had two herniated disks the whole time and he just kept working through it. he came from the school where the husband/father takes care of his... no matter what ails or fatigues him. hes a strong man and i think at that moment he finally knew he wasnt... shit they even had to bring in two security guards to keep him laying there because he just wanted to get out of there and go home. thats my dad...

he gets to ride in an ambulance minus sirens today. he comes up to SF to finally find out how bad the heart attack was and to correct it. hes 57 now which is pretty young but hes worked his body so much that... im not really sure how well he is. luckily my boy derrick works in the section that my dad is going to be in and hes already gotten my dad set up with the better room, better doctors, etc... hes the one that schedules all that shit and sets it up. so hes going to have 200% attention there... he also brought in one of the only tv,vcr,dvd combos that the whole hospital has for him... theyre pretty much only used by the doctors themselves... anyway, he'll get to come home today if things arent too bad and no later than tomorrow. that is unless they have to do a bypass sugery... no one thinks that it was that bad but we have another 5 or 6 hours until we know more...

its 730a right now which means hes just getting transfered out of south city... on the way up here... just a mile and a half from where im typing this... i love my father very much and through all the shit ive seen him go through, the ups, the downs, and the way-downs, ive never been worried about him until now...

anyway... thats my 5s...

• Damn Jinx...I hope your Pops is OK.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Damn Jinx...I hope your Pops is OK.

Serious. Stay with it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Welcome to the show and tell convention on Mars
    Do anybody have something to show or... tell?

I'm Zeldar, from the planet Beldar
    Which is eight million judibeeks from Saturn
    I was on my way home one day when thrown off pattern
    Landed on earth, no where to go... a hole in my megaboomp (hehehe)
    Landed in a field with green leafy trees... looked kind of odd to me
    So... I (sniff)) smoked it (sniff)
    I took my stellcutter, cut it and smoked it and guess how I felt
    Very good, I took some for myself
    Back to my spaceship, I gave some to my family
    They say, "(Sniff, ahh) what you call this weed?"
    My name is Zeldar
    I'm from, from planet Deldar my name is Zeldar
    And we shop at WalMart
    I came back, just to grab me another fat sack of the
    Green leafy thing I found in the field
    Yeah they call it "kill"
    I rolled into the hood
    I'm greeted, but it wasn't all good
    I saw mixed people all kinds of colors and they looked at me like I was weird
    They call me queer
    I say, "No... My name is Zeldar,
    I'm from planet Beldar, my leader is Zeldar
    and we shop at Walmart"
    I have kids
    I don't give them none of the green leafy stuff that I found in the field
    Cause it might do them harm, but I'm old enough
    So I cough and I puff on the
    Green leafy stuff I found in the field... yeah I call it "kill"

"What'd you say your name was?"
    "My name is Zeldar"

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Just got a new apartment in a very nice part of town. I can walk to a Thai restraunt quicker than it takes some people to get to their own kitchen. Got a very dude landlord too. He didnt check references, and I was even able to haggle with the rent price if that tells you anything. And then he tells me his is a musician, so my drumset is a-ok in his book.

It's summer, ladies are outside and looking fine.

Later today, I'm going to buy a motorcycle (probably).

My fingers are getting better (for those that know me, you know whats up).

That 'Stooges' appreciation post convinced me to crack open a sealed OG 'raw power' LP I was holding off on. It has been on heavy rotation ever since, thanks soulstrut for reminding me how dope this LP is.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    shits "aloha attire" so i don't need to wear no gimp suit.

Dude said 'Gimp Suit'!

• DAY:
    props on quitting smoking. keep it up mang!

JINX:
    sorry to hear about your father. sounds like he's got some fighting spirit though.

ME:
    stressing out cause i don't know where i'll be living in two months and have been waiting and waiting for a counter-offer from a potential employer in a different city. i check in with them every couple of days and they're slammed with work and trying to hire two additional positions along with mine (they're a small company, so three new people is a huge change), so there's lots of math going on, but i just wanna know what's up. i tend to freak out when things aren't in order, so this is no good.

looking forward to this all working out so i can get outta portland and start all over again.

why not start all over again?

going to visit my best friends next week. haven't seen em in several months, some in about a year. long distance is tough shit.

really enjoying spinning records and working on typography stuff at home.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

Serato and technology in general, is gonna change the face of DJing. Best to not encourage it.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Jinx,

I really hope your dad recovers to be stronger than he was before the heart attack. Believe me when I say this, my dad had a stroke a little over a year ago and it was painful seeing him in the hospital not able to move a limb, talk or even go to the bathroom without our help. I had almost lost all hope but the hommie fought back like a champ and seeing him now, I couldn't tell he's even been through a stroke. He's back at work, running on the weekends and even got to witness his daughter getting married in Paris a few weeks ago. Don't ignore the power or hope, prayer and general positive thinking in the face of adversity. That shit works.

Drewn,

You are that hommie that I will meet and hang out with one day. You are so true to who you are and what you like that it'd be a shame if we never had a chance to hang out in this life time. When I move back to the East Coast (a couple of years from now)...PA or MD are gonna be the final destination so you best belive there will be a knock on your door one day. Keep one eye on that peep home holmes.

Day,

I'm so glad you are getting around to ridding yourself of smoking. Such a bad habit that is so hard to get rid of. It seems like the time is right for you. Your family and friends will appreciate it too. Know that you will crave it from time to time but you'll learn to manage. I haven't smoked in over a year but I will admit to having snagged one or two off of shig in a few months ago. The most important part is to not be around other smokers, esp. at work.

Mike,

It'll be sad for Portland to see your go. I'm sure Jeigh is gonna miss you. Move gotta be made though and life knows no stop signs so go for your hommie. You are a very talented individual that I'm inspired by on a daily basis. Good luck on the job prospect. If these folks know what's good for them, they'll definitely give you an office with a window and 21" monitor.

Brian,

You're like the silent late night killer of this shit. You are appreicated by me.

Live is LA is really good right about now. My sister just got married and is currently on her honeymoon. One of the biggest highlights of my life so far.

The non-profit I've been working with may be featured on a new TLC program and have asked me to be on it. That's gonna be some shit right? Stay tuned.

The Vanguard Squad single is jumping all over the place and has been picked up by a bunch of places including Rhino Records here in LA...things could not be going any better for Bam and I. I am very very happy for us.

Finally got a new credit card with 0% APR on balance transfers and have started to chip away at the little credit debt that I have. I don't know why I waited for this long to do this.

Soulstrut contines to be a source of great friendships, love, support and even a source of work for me. Thank you Raj and everyone else.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    My Son: My son has been having health problems..It seems like hes coming out of it but I am not taking any time with him for granted.

Moving: My wife, son, and I finally got our own place we move next month I am worried about my records. I can't wait to have a room to make beats in.

Projects: Got a 12" with Eddie k coming and a CD that is already 2 years old (the beats are old)finally coming.

Digging: I'm still out there

Work: Working a lot ...It's good I guess

• ASPRO, couldn't have said any of these things better myself.

for me. a potential serious new job with a dope lil company that has big big plans. and the job description is completely formated around me and my nun chuck skills. it will be fantastic to be able to be motivated by work and not be drawn down by negative, stagnant people. i think that is one of the reasons i have been so drawn to the strut because of the positive nature of everyone on here. i dont really give a shit if folks out there think soul strut is sort of :ghey don't they know that i have feelings????

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The last time I saw my grandparents on my mom???s side was 26 years ago. I liked them better than my paternal grandparents, who were cold, stern and treated my mom with very little respect. There were pictures here and there over the years and it was shocking how much they had aged from picture to picture. My dad???s parents lived here for a while and they had the money to come and visit after that. My mom???s parents had much less money and were also scared to death of flying. They never stepped on a plane in their lives. My mom???s mom passed away a few years ago and I just found out that my mom???s father died yesterday. My mother saw the two of them less than five times in the past 26 years.
    Only my father???s mother is alive now and really, no matter, not because she is so far away, because she always was - she is a mean, mean woman.

And so that???s it, one more link in the chain is broken, I am one more step further from my history. Day to day, this doesn???t mean too much. Everyday, you build you own history. But something like this happens and it???s devastating - more than a person is a dead. I???m not really from where I am now and I don???t really belong to the place where I used to be and when family dies, even less so. I don???t feel sorry for myself, this is part of life and others have had their entire family taken from them in one fell swoop. I just feel really sad.